1 2
Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
12/6/13 5:42 a.m.
novaderrik wrote: i'd rather have a poorly tuned gutless 4 cylinder than a perfectly tuned Aurora/Northstar V8..

You know, I loved the power and smoothness from the 4.0 in my Aurora. Troubleshooting that thing was a MASSIVE PITA.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/6/13 8:28 a.m.
Zomby Woof wrote: If it were my truck, I'd just get another 2.2 and do a bench build with a little more compression, mild cam, 1.6 rockers, and a header if you can get it.

This^. If the wife is happy why put more money/effort than you have to. They are noisy thrashy engines so there is a good chance that the motor is still running ok even though you can hear it.

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/6/13 9:07 a.m.

Mileage is starting to taper off even with a recent tune up, so while yes it's running ok. I want to be prepared for what's coming. Even if it doesn't come for a year or so down the road.

Spinout007
12/6/13 1:42 p.m.
Wally wrote:
Zomby Woof wrote: If it were my truck, I'd just get another 2.2 and do a bench build with a little more compression, mild cam, 1.6 rockers, and a header if you can get it.
This^. If the wife is happy why put more money/effort than you have to. They are noisy thrashy engines so there is a good chance that the motor is still running ok even though you can hear it.

Wife is "happy" but will never complain about a little more oomf. The idea behind the vortec 28/2900 motors were that it would be an easy drop in, flash/swap ecm, or MS and go. Ideally I would want to keep the OBD2 port active/available just in case we ever move somewhere with OBD2 testing and the luxury of using a scan tool if anything ever pops up.

Now that being said, it looks like I would likely have to litterally be a full on harnes, engine, trans, ecm/pcm swap, likely have to swap clusters to. LOTS OF WORK, but it's something I would like to try. No one seems to sell cams marketed specifically to the S10 crowd, but the cadavalier j-body crowd is a different story. http://www.chevycavalierworld.com/webcam-camshafts.php (Zomby woof, if you stop in here can you give me a run down on what you think of these? or anybody else for that matter!). Anyone know if Webcam have gotten any better over the years, my only experiences with them were with the regrinds they did for the Storm/Impulse crowd back in the day, where they were known for shearing lobes with just a slight increase in spring rate. Looking for something with an eye more toward economy, but a boost in performance will not hurt anything. Headers for these things seem to all be of the same design, Non-equal length, 4-1. Not sure how much you would gain from that if anything.

Plan for now.... Boneyard engine, mild performace build up for it, and have it ready to go after the begining of the year or so. So in other words; yeah, that!

oldopelguy
oldopelguy Dork
12/6/13 2:45 p.m.

Funny story about your dash and ecu: odds are it is the same ecu ad the one used in a full sized Silverado with a v8 and the outputs that drive the dash are the same. If you use a new enough gm drive train it may be more plug and play than you think.

Spinout007
12/6/13 3:03 p.m.

I have a gut feeling you're right, but till I can get my hands on parts and look at em, it's hard to tell.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
12/6/13 10:52 p.m.

The Webcam stuff should be fine. Whatever happened with the Isuzu cams doesn't sound right (they were probably cast, we're talking roller cams here), but probably wasn't their fault. I do a fair bit of Isuzu cams without any problems, and they require nothing special.

Despite the description, their stage 2 profile looks very good, and is definitely not an oval track cam (by about 30 degrees), but has nice lift and reasonable duration. Much more intake duration than that and you're going start to see a less than ideal idle. Note that's with 1.6 rockers already. Not sure what yours has.

I would go with the header, even if it's a cheapy. It will be far better than the stock manifold, and with a decent exhaust should help a lot.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1oVrwLNJnSuHedlkJszTFRiDTno5f3jNDKqEHfOcFXEs0SgLfBIyGadNTrZh01D8