ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
9/25/14 9:39 p.m.

Finding some 2002's out there in my price range.

I swore I wouldn't look TOO HARD into them (because you always find horror stories no matter the vehicle) but I saw some trams failure trends on the earlier years but not much on late 1st Gens up to 2002.

Any experiences good or bad?

calteg
calteg HalfDork
9/25/14 9:42 p.m.

The epitome of a mid sized snoozemobile. For some reason the suspension settings on every iteration of RX3x0 has literally made me nauseous. I only know this because my mother in law has traded hers in every few years for a newer one.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
9/25/14 9:44 p.m.

I'm ok with boring for a while. I really need to get from A to B and travel through likely snowstorms.

Reliability is the question here.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
9/25/14 11:19 p.m.

That engine trams combination was used in countless Sienna's and highlanders. It's stout. I got 179k on a 3.3 powered sienna.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/25/14 11:32 p.m.

Still rocking our 4-cyl 01 Highlander stripper. Damned thing is still rock solid and even loaded up pretty well, it cruised up I5 from Modesto to Portland and back several time now. Other than maintenance, there's been a master door window switch failure. That's it in over 200k of abuse. Interior still looks nice and is pretty comfy, it's quieter and more comfy than a new Rav-4. Compared to the 94 740iL that we hac with similar mileage, it's shocking how poorly "The Ultimate Driving Machine" has held up in comparison.

FIL has a 2002 Highlander that's fully loaded with the V6, leather, etc. still going strong with no major issues reported. The v6 sucks down gas a bit more and the AWD is typical lightweight stuff. If our FWD version had a limited slip it would probably outperform the AWD version in snow/ice.

Biggest issue with them? Actual capacity for stuff in the back is basically the same as a Camry Wagon (because that's what it is) and due to the higher ride height, heavier and wider tires, mileage suffers a bit compared to a Camry. Yeah they are a bit boring, but drive them assertively enough and you'll surprise most folks who aren't expecting anything.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Reader
9/26/14 12:20 a.m.
calteg wrote: my mother in law has traded hers in every few years for a newer one.

For those that like the niche that the RX3x0 fills, the only replacement is a newer RX3x0. They're fantastic and they are one of the machines that has forged the legendary Lexus reputation for reliability.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad HalfDork
9/26/14 5:34 a.m.

I've only experienced one. My former FIL bought a used 2002-3 with 80ish K miles and drove it for a bit. It had a LOT of flashing warning lights start to come up and when he took it to a reputable shop was quoted 6 grand to fix all the problems. Apparently it needed all new seals, gaskets and sensors.
He traded it the next day on a 2004 Sequoia. Much better vehicle.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
9/26/14 5:58 a.m.

Not seeing a bunch of "glass transmission" stories yet like the AWD Saturn Vue, that's good.

I'm getting closer to buying a vehicle here so anything else anybody can impart would be great!

Suburbans/Tahoes are the runner-up but it's just me in the vehicle 90% of the time. I love that GM platform but I'm not sure I need that bulk.

Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
9/26/14 6:25 a.m.

I'm pretty sure they were based off the Camry platform of that era. Should tell you all you'd need to know about reliability...and excitement level.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
9/26/14 6:30 a.m.
Klayfish wrote: I'm pretty sure they were based off the Camry platform of that era. Should tell you all you'd need to know about reliability...and excitement level.

That's a fair assessment! Considering the alternative could be the auto-x dominating Suburban, I think the Camry might turn better!

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
9/26/14 6:46 a.m.

"Though a few bits come from the Lexus ES 300 sedan, the RX 300 is built on a unique platform."

Hmmmmmm... Not the Camry platform?

"Since we first drove the Camry-derived RX300 in 1998, we’ve fallen in love with the car. Er, SUV."

So now it IS a Camry platform!

Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
9/26/14 7:08 a.m.

Maybe someone else can jump in, but I think the RX300, Toyota Highlander and Toyota Camry were all kissing cousins.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
9/26/14 7:18 a.m.

In reply to Klayfish:

I'm sure you're onto something if not 100% correct.

Mind you I'm coming from daily-driving a '95 F150 4x4 for a few years. I might be ready for this type of change (although it's mostly the lack of 3 rear shoulder belts that's making me sell the truck)

calteg
calteg HalfDork
9/26/14 7:35 a.m.

For some reason the 3.3L seemed more prone to sludge, though I've seen MANY of them soldier on with horrific amounts of it. The newer ones have the new fangled chromatic side mirrors, and those seem to die at a pretty rapid rate. Not an issue on the 02's though

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
9/26/14 7:42 a.m.

In reply to calteg:

I've heard of the sludging but also heard that it's avoidable with proper oil change intervals.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UberDork
9/26/14 7:55 a.m.

functionally, I doubt the RX does anything better than a Tahoe. 1 extra mpg here and there, maybe?

KyAllroad
KyAllroad HalfDork
9/26/14 8:01 a.m.

And the RX will be a lot narrower for the three across kids in the backseat.

Have you tried test fitting them to see how they fit?

atm92484
atm92484 New Reader
9/26/14 8:05 a.m.

Its all about the maintenance. If it was taken care of you'll have a reliable driver. My family has had one of every generation of RX; they're solid people movers.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
9/26/14 8:07 a.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: In reply to calteg: I've heard of the sludging but also heard that it's avoidable with proper oil change intervals.

It was limited to certIn years as well. Though in sure my 179k sienna has some level.

The only real problem with those vehicles and camry's is they can survive with an incredible amount of neglect and keep running. You'll find more issues from horrendously bad previous owners than drain flaws.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
9/26/14 12:33 p.m.

Making exception for the kinds of complaints that only enthusiasts come up with, the RX is one of the best/most successful car models ever created. They are great cars. It is just a nicer Camry, not much to complain about as long as it's had its maintenance.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/26/14 12:38 p.m.

Huh. I actually like these.

OP, how much are they selling for in your area? At first i thought i had missed an opportunity in my search for a winter beater, but holy E36 M3 the cheapest one in my area is $5k.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sB1o1k2CabbSbaECGbT7t0RdxqdXypg16aDlrRrcapCGg19s5Gy0Izw5Jo2Jq5Q6