1 2
stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
7/12/22 7:46 a.m.

If the goal was to do it illegally, any late model minivan would work.  Plenty of capacity, blends in with traffic, decent performance.  If the goal is legal and the vehicle is for appearances, the classic moonshine runner was a 1939 or 1940 Ford coupe.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/12/22 8:09 a.m.
Mndsm said:

I'd take a tip out of the drug mule textbook. Big diesel truck with a ton of power. Even with a bunch of frosting on it, it's hard to discern one of those from a standard brodozer, and theyre built to do exactly what shiners did back in the day, disappear at all costs. 

How did you know how i get stuff from Michigan to ohio?

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/12/22 10:17 a.m.
Patrick said:
Mndsm said:

I'd take a tip out of the drug mule textbook. Big diesel truck with a ton of power. Even with a bunch of frosting on it, it's hard to discern one of those from a standard brodozer, and theyre built to do exactly what shiners did back in the day, disappear at all costs. 

How did you know how i get stuff from Michigan to ohio?

There's a reason a 5 year old truck with 260k on it is still worth $40k. They're made to take E36 M3 a real long way without stopping. 

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/12/22 10:35 a.m.

Ecoboost Flex with a a tune and heavier-duty suspension. Anonymous, tons of space, and plenty of speed if you need it.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/12/22 10:45 a.m.

For an above board business, definitely an old 30's or 40's coupe with modern running gear and HVAC - since nobody wants to receive warm booze delivered by a guy in a period-style suit drenched in sweat.

The actual running gear doesn't really matter much. Style & efficiency > performance.  But since sound may be important, a smaller V8 with an exhaust that makes a nice rumble. 

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/13/22 7:28 p.m.
dculberson said:

Chevy SS is the modern disappear into traffic hot rod:

2016 Chevy SS Review - The Middle Ground Between Old and New

Mostly nondescript but has it where it counts.

BUT! If you're doing this for a fun business idea, obviously mimicking old moonshine runners would do best. Maybe even old pickups with cliche patina'd graphics painted on.

1941 Ford

Still too conspicuous that SS is.

How bout the secret we road warriors (airports an rental cars) have known about for almost 10 years?  Malibu with the 3.6 VVT.  Not SS fast but still plenty dang fast.  There's 50 million of them to boot.   

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
7/13/22 7:51 p.m.

Pretty sure real moonshine runners these days just go for stealth and large cargo capacity. Rather boring for a business - which is the point. I'd go with a modern interpretation of a Prohibition eta car instead. A Model A rat rod body with modern running gear, perhaps. Second Ian's notes on air conditioning.

maj75 (Forum Supporter)
maj75 (Forum Supporter) Dork
7/13/22 8:15 p.m.

Jeep Cherokee Trackhawk, debadged.

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf HalfDork
7/13/22 8:21 p.m.
Defined motorsports said:

2) very old prohibition era body on a modern day frame, suspension, and engine. And secret compartment for haulin' hooch. 

I have a 55 4door similar in color to the purple one that is / was to be cruiser for me and a lady named Cathie (but she passed). The red one may be more like you want and what I may do now.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Dork
7/14/22 11:12 a.m.

For modern vehicles any pick up or full size suv would be the obvious choice plus they truly are the spiritual successor to the original moonshine cars. Mini vans and cargo vans would be a great choice too.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/14/22 11:24 a.m.
MadScientistMatt said:

Pretty sure real moonshine runners these days just go for stealth and large cargo capacity. Rather boring for a business - which is the point. I'd go with a modern interpretation of a Prohibition eta car instead. A Model A rat rod body with modern running gear, perhaps. Second Ian's notes on air conditioning.

Boring, stealth, capability- and I'd add in some "invisible" off road ability- so that you can go down dirt roads when you need to.

The most important thing is to not be noticed.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Dork
7/14/22 11:37 a.m.
alfadriver said:
MadScientistMatt said:

Boring, stealth, capability- and I'd add in some "invisible" off road ability- so that you can go down dirt roads when you need to.

The most important thing is to not be noticed.

That's where a typical pickup fits well in as the roads are dominated by them so much easier to avoid attention.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
7/14/22 12:12 p.m.

Ford F150 Lightening with the frunck full of booze.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RGHkdIORu3nK6Ak2oQU2mlsYsETdwiQeKa1OWRudQmC6REOjevjZ5tIpW5NX91s4