1 2 3 4
JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
7/9/15 1:23 p.m.

So I'm working on a story where we want to examine several notable engine notes in a more scientific manner. I'll be talking to a mechanical engineer whose responsibility was perfecting engine sounds on performance cars for a large car company, as well as a rather famous (to me, anyway) music producer and audio engineer, who's also worked with some game studios on racing games. Basically I want to get the perspective from both a mechanical and audio engineering perspective on why certain engines sound the way they do, and why they produce the emotional reactions in gear heads the ay they do.

Now I just need to pin down the list.

We can't do them all, but I'd like to come up with 6-8 good archetypes of engine sounds for these guys to analyze. Off the tp of my head, my list would look like this:

Flat-plane crank V8

Cross-plane crank V8

Inline 6

Rotary

Horizontally-opposed 4 and 6

Rotax 494 2-stroke

Kidding. Actually some high-strung turbo 4.

Input? Like I said, I'm looking for 6-8 good notes that I can provide these guys sound files on for their analysis.

Go.

EDIT: Trying to keep this to archetypes rather than specific brand powerplants. But if you want to list a specific mill, feel free to do so, just try and make a case for it.

svxsti
svxsti New Reader
7/9/15 1:27 p.m.

None of the above, Ferrari V12, Lexus V10.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man HalfDork
7/9/15 1:45 p.m.

Well, a turbo rotary has the most famous sound (BRRAAAAAAPAPAPAPAPAAAAAAP STUTUTUTUTU), BMW straight sixes sound like ripping silk, turbo boxer 4s have an unmistakable burble, and the notorious SBC makes a nice growl.

Esoteric Nixon
Esoteric Nixon SuperDork
7/9/15 1:46 p.m.

Really any V-engine with 180° headers installed.

doc_speeder
doc_speeder HalfDork
7/9/15 1:48 p.m.

I'd say it's hard to nail down by type. Example - V6. Some (60* GM v6 I'm looking at you) sound awful. Like dying duck awful. Some, (VW VR6, Nissan/Infiniti VQ35) sound great. Of course this is to my ears, in my opinion.

kanaric
kanaric Dork

I was typing up some thing about the engines I like and I realized that I pretty much like how almost any engine sounds. Though I prefer inline sixes (especially L series Nissan and RB), high revving engines of any kind, or V8s

pres589
pres589 UberDork

VFR800 vs VFR1200. They changed the V angle when they went to the 1200 and I think the bike sounds like garbage. Aftermarket pipes do not help it sound better, it just sounds louder.

If it has to be a car, Lancia did stuff like this as well with their V-4's.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
7/9/15 1:53 p.m.

I was just thinking about engines I want to hear that I haven't and i've been wanting to see a Firebird Sprint with the Pontiac OHC for quite a while. I like inline sixes a lot and think that one probably would be a good one to hear. Every time I see one at a car show I immediately check it out and am disappointed because someone swapped a V8 in.

I would buy one of those if I had the money and could find one not swapped.

trucke
trucke HalfDork
7/9/15 1:55 p.m.

I was thinking the best sound was when it starts. It started! It started!

KyAllroad
KyAllroad Dork
7/9/15 2:00 p.m.
Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired Reader
7/9/15 2:01 p.m.

I may be biased, but I think the 5.0 OHV Ford V8 sounds amazing when opened up.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
7/9/15 2:03 p.m.

Odd fire 90deg V6 vs 60 degree V6

On that note, anyone have a visual explanation of how the 90 deg odd-fire V6 is converted to even fire by offsetting the crank arms?

Edit also 90 deg V10 (viper, odd fire) vs 72 degree V10

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
7/9/15 2:06 p.m.

V10s have always been the sweet spot for me.

Dave
Dave New Reader
7/9/15 2:08 p.m.

Maybe toss in some odd balls like an old Buick straight eight or a DKW two stroke three cylinder.

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/9/15 2:09 p.m.

maybe a twin with something other than a 180 crank separation? Like a harley?

scardeal
scardeal Dork
7/9/15 2:15 p.m.

I agree that it's not just a generic type, but the specific implementation of the type. There seems to be good and bad examples of most of the common configurations.

Note how different a Ford V8 and a Chevy V8 sound. Both are cross-plane configurations. Others have cited different V6s.

Then again, there are sometimes different configurations which can sound similar. I've occasionally heard V-twins that sounded not unlike a V8. A friend of mine one commented that friends of his hopped up a 240Z, and "man that thing sounded like a Ferrari".

Moreover, I've heard dramatic differences in engine note (and accompanying pleasantness or unpleasantness) with modifications. Header style, intake, exhaust, cams, etc. all seem to affect the sound it makes in some way. (And here I'm only speaking of naturally aspirated engines.)

The one nearly universal thing I've found is that log manifolds tend to sound like crap.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/9/15 2:22 p.m.

Any engine that's spinning above 8,000rpm. It can be a big block, inline 6, boxer, rotary, whatever. It sounds like Jesus screaming.

Also, anything that competes at Reno, because raceplane.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
7/9/15 2:22 p.m.

Rotarty with only a Supertrapp muffler.
Not sure if the sound is "best" but it sure is distinctive.

Jay_W
Jay_W Dork
7/9/15 2:30 p.m.

Any discussion on this topic that doesn't include the noise an old school Ford GT makes, with the good ol' bundle of snakes headers, is null and void... Then there's this, angriest bike I ever did hear. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzpThocO-Y8

And gpB Quattro

And Top Fuel anything

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/9/15 2:48 p.m.

An Aston Martin racing V12, nothing better in my opinion.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/9/15 2:54 p.m.

Big Block Chevy V8 is hard to beat for both for volume and sound. They have a very deep angry sound. Google DIRT Modifieds for examples. The GTLM Corvettes are a close second. You can tell when they are coming, the sound different then the higher pitched whining the rest of the IMSA cars make.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/9/15 2:55 p.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: ...and why they produce the emotional reactions in gear heads that they do.

kb58
kb58 Dork
7/9/15 3:00 p.m.
Esoteric Nixon wrote: Really any V-engine with 180° headers installed.

^This... or a V12. Really, any engine with evenly-spaced exhaust pulses sounds nice. And speaking of that, the Subi engine? Seriously? It sounds like a V6 with two spark plugs pulled off.

kb58
kb58 Dork
7/9/15 3:08 p.m.

I'll just leave this here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ0u9iRTWyI

And be sure to turn it up for the fly-by!

Also a lesson in not idling too long without a cooling fan...

parker
parker Reader
7/9/15 3:17 p.m.

12 cylinder whether V or flat. Awesomeness.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KKZbnORwDY57JSUbFw012qYxi9wPoBU8aIks8ddjZmNHRekT279CAwbnB6bkRvvj