1 2 3
nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
12/26/18 11:55 p.m.

For most 7 passenger suvs, you have to choose between having the third row -or- more than a sliver of cargo space.  On the other hand, minivans can haul a road trip worth of luggage or a Costco trip worth of shopping...plus kids in carseats in the third row. If you plan to use the 3rd row the majority of the time, it makes all the difference. 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
12/27/18 7:21 a.m.

Solidly minivan, huge SUV, or full size van territory.

We have a Mazda5 and one kid, we had to move the passenger seat forward for the rear facing carseat. It's useable, but may compromise a taller driver if you had one behind him.

Have an 07expedition without the 3rd row. Rear seats would have to move for access to back row, which to me says minivan over SUV (unless towing ) for ease of loading.

Mini van vs full-sized van, how much stuff you have to take along? Full size van can tow a fun auto-x toy.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf SuperDork
12/27/18 10:03 a.m.

First off, a minivan is clearly the answer. 

Best value at the price point is going to be the newest Chrysler T&C/Grand Caravan he can buy.  The Toyotas and Hondas seem to hold a much higher price point if limited to $15K.    

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
12/27/18 10:15 a.m.

2015+ Sedona's are starting to get down into this price range too, and I would argue are superior in most ways to a GC/T&C for somebody not regularly utilizing the Stow-N-Go. So I would strongly recommend looking at these as well.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/27/18 10:21 a.m.

The Kia Rondo seats 7, offering a bit more room than the 6-passenger Mazda 5, but neither offer cargo space with the third row up. 

I looked at the Mazda CX7 and it was the only mid-sized SUV that offered a third row that was easily accessible to adults. 

I also looked at the Ford Flex and really liked it, but I would say it offered less space than the Mazda.  

My Ex has an older Honda Pilot, and the third row is not bad and offers some space behind for stuff.  

The Chevy Traverse offers better interior room than a Tahoe IMHO. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
I9XrrDb4GeFLMGtWwyrcRgcAn9rlI0P9Nwlj0HYHZfLu9ycYgBWK5EK082Mb9rfO