1 2
SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/27/12 10:47 a.m.

I may be coming into an F-250 diesel drivetrain donor soon that I'd love to use in a Challenge car.

It's one of the biggest engines I could choose, but if it can get my 8200 lb truck motivated, it ought to be a monster in something sub 3500 lb.

I have access to a Divco that would be awesome, but it will never corner. Besides, it is a standing driving position, so if it could corner, it might throw the driver out.

There is a part of me that would like to keep it in the Ford family. I also really like classics (but that will leave me with handling challenges).

Maybe a mid-engined panel delivery van? A veggie burning Focus with a periscope? A Pinto with smoke coming from the front instead of the back? A rat rod lead sled with stacks? A P71 Powerstroke? A Cortina with a huge hood scoop?

Any ideas??

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/27/12 10:49 a.m.

Fat fingers title.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/27/12 10:53 a.m.

P71s can handle decently with super-wide tires and some suspension mods, but your consumable use will be high on such a super-heavy car. Gas, brakes, tires, it'll be like a poor man's CTS-V.

'80s Mustang perhaps?

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/27/12 10:55 a.m.

Colin Chapman is weeping ever so lightly in his grave.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/27/12 10:58 a.m.

Colin is fine with me. I've got 4 sub 1500 lb cars, 2 of which are Lotuses.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/27/12 11:01 a.m.

I'd much rather sub 2000, but that's a tough target with a 920 lb engine.

mw
mw Dork
10/27/12 11:04 a.m.

I'd say a p71 or any similar sized ford would do. Something that has room for huge tires. You may run into problems that even the biggest sized r compounds are overwhelmed by the weight. My friend who autox's an impala ss goes through 335 A6's really fast since the weighs 4500#.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltraDork
10/27/12 11:11 a.m.

Mid engined Aerostar?

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/27/12 11:20 a.m.

Another thing to look into is the history of aircraft engines in drag racing.

The raw horsepower and torque numbers look good, but the engines themselves don't accelerate well, so the cars end up being turds. Great engines for steady load use, though.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/27/12 11:26 a.m.

I think only chance for good handling is a custom chassis under one of the old cab over type vans. Basically hook the end of the trans to an aluminum 8.8 IRS out of an explore. Convert it to 70s era f1 style rear suspension in a feeble effort to control torque induced wheel hop and run rediculous wide tires at all 4 corners.

I have another idea that may interest you depending on how little budget this engine takes up. Contact me via pm as its is a significantly new/unique idea I'd like to keep it under wraps right now.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
10/27/12 11:28 a.m.

I would consider trucks. Big brakes, big diffs, etc... A 2002+ Explorer is IRS and has beefy diffs and any diff ratio you might want cheap from the aftermarket.. The frame can be put under a ranger which could be made light if you work at it. Cut the firewall and set the engine back as far as possible and you are good to go.

singleslammer
singleslammer HalfDork
10/27/12 11:29 a.m.

In reply to Ranger50:

I approve of this message.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
10/27/12 11:32 a.m.

Second Gen RX7 might work as well with some firewall surgery.

Hal
Hal Dork
10/27/12 11:39 a.m.

Is it a 4-wheel drive? If so you could do something like this in a small Ford.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltraDork
10/27/12 11:51 a.m.

In reply to Hal:

FWD Cadillac?

Not too many round bell Turbo 400's out there besides AMC and Jag.

Hal
Hal Dork
10/27/12 11:55 a.m.
Ranger50 wrote: In reply to Hal: FWD Cadillac?

Not sure what it is, just some pics I took at a cruise-in. I do know that it is an actual 4WD set up with the rear drive shaft not connected ( can't see that in my pic).

fastoldfart
fastoldfart New Reader
10/27/12 11:57 a.m.

In reply to SVreX:

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/events/0907dp_diesels_in_the_desert_2009/photo_09.html

Classic, it is a Ford, could be light, and budget friendly.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
10/27/12 12:04 p.m.

Oh my, first thing I thought of is the Zephyr in Arthur Dent's thread

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
10/27/12 12:06 p.m.

I can't believe I didn't think of this earlier. SC400. I even know a guy who would let one go really really cheap.

ronbros
ronbros Reader
10/27/12 12:23 p.m.

what a very strange world i live in!!!!!!!!

is all this stuff for real??

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/27/12 12:34 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote: I can't believe I didn't think of this earlier. SC400. I even know a guy who would let one go really really cheap.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/27/12 12:34 p.m.
ronbros wrote: what a very strange world i live in!!!!!!!! is all this stuff for real??

Of course not!!

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/27/12 12:38 p.m.

Ok, let me re-phrase slightly.

I'd want it to handle well enough to survive the Challenge respectably, but obviously not be a corner carver.

It's post-Challenge life would be as a car show whore street-driver with some ad/ marketing/ visibility potential. Perhaps a little bit of drag racing.

peter
peter HalfDork
10/27/12 12:47 p.m.

Frankly, I think that a Challenge entry that throws the driver out during cornering would be awesome. Go with the cornering Divco idea.

ronbros
ronbros Reader
10/27/12 1:02 p.m.

good ,not to use the DIVCO milk delivery truck.

way back , i was walking along this street in Mass. saw an accident with a Divco, just like you said ,tried to corner and rolled on its side, just as it was going over guy tried to jump out the side going down to the gutter, got crushed under it.

I will never forget the sight of blood and white milk mixing and going down the sewer, i still picture it in my mind!

anyway good choice NOT to race a Divco milk truck.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SB9rjdk2C0GyWpjkfSjbw3z8kh3PREk87m2WJt21ThNigjfAtjC3wLUAHVUhqZgn