bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
6/29/16 4:48 p.m.

I'm a bit of a Euro snob, and know Volvo and VW fairly well. Criteria would be something that can comfortably and reliably handle our 70+ mile round trip daily commute, and return ~30 MPG highway or better. Prefer something <10 years old, <70K miles, 4+ doors, automatic, with creature comforts (heated seats at least) for <$10K.

I typically keep cars for a long time, so whatever I get I should be able to reasonably expect it to make it to at least 250K miles with little more than normal maintenance/wear item replacement.

That's not too much to ask is it?

I'm typically Korean, Ford, Nissan, and Mitsubishi adverse, so most of those need-not-apply.

If a wagon can meet all of that criteria, it's a real contender.

Currently considering, N/A V50 and S40, I've done the Volvo thing for so long now, it might be nice to branch out. Also Saab 9-3 and Sportcobi, E91 328, some 2.0l VWs (2.5l I5 is a nonstarter).

Really like the Bimmer wagons, but they just barely achieve the MPG requirement, the AWD ones sure don't.

If only the Skyactive Mazda3s had been around long enough to fall into my price point.

I've done filtered searches on Autotrader, Cars.com, and Fueleconomy.gov until I'm cross eyed.

Any other suggestions?

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
6/29/16 5:10 p.m.
I should be able to reasonably expect it to make it to at least 250K miles with little more than normal maintenance/wear item replacement.

You mean like my dad's Mitsubishi?

Too bad those euro brands didn't bring their more fuel efficient drivetrains into the US.

Too bad a 335D isnt cheap enough for you.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
6/29/16 5:46 p.m.

Mazda3 skyactiv. Hatch.

If I could have brought myself to spend the money, I would own one right now.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
6/29/16 10:38 p.m.
Vigo wrote:
I should be able to reasonably expect it to make it to at least 250K miles with little more than normal maintenance/wear item replacement.
You mean like my dad's Mitsubishi? Too bad those euro brands didn't bring their more fuel efficient drivetrains into the US. Too bad a 335D isnt cheap enough for you.

Don't get me wrong, my inner 18 year old, really wants a VR4 3000GT, but the 30 something, real life me, knows better.

335D is close, there's a few examples with closer to 100K on them for around $13K. It's as though the 328D X-drive Sport Wagon was made for me, alas they're about triple my budget.

Dusterbd13 said: Mazda3 skyactiv. Hatch. If I could have brought myself to spend the money, I would own one right now.

It's really about the perfect car on paper for this and many other scenarios, though, I haven't even sat in one let alone driven one. I have no preference, hatch or sedan, and in about 2 or 3 years, they'll fall right into my price/mileage range. Right now I can find 30K mile sport 2.0l sedans for ~$14K. I even found a Mazda6 sport with 40K miles on it for similar price. The ones I'm interested in, Grand Touring, 2.5l, are all $18K+ regardless of miles.

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie HalfDork
6/30/16 9:16 a.m.

I think you need to revisit the Koreans and Ford. Alternatively, I did find an Accord Hybrid that would seem to do what you need. Accord Hybrid

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltraDork
6/30/16 9:57 a.m.

2008 Saab 9-3 (NMNA) for $5900

This will get an honest 35 MPG highway and be a really nice place to spend your commute time.

Or an '05 for much less.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/30/16 10:44 a.m.
MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
6/30/16 11:31 a.m.

Volvo C30?

Saturn Astra?

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
6/30/16 12:34 p.m.
szeis4cookie wrote: I think you need to revisit the Koreans and Ford. Alternatively, I did find an Accord Hybrid that would seem to do what you need. Accord Hybrid

I'm picky, picky enough to not be interested in any of their offerings. I'm also a bit stubborn, and I don't like green eggs and ham. Honda/Acura have a little potential, never been on my radar really until now, hybrids are a no-go for me as well. Thanks!

KyAllroad wrote: 2008 Saab 9-3 (NMNA) for $5900 This will get an honest 35 MPG highway and be a really nice place to spend your commute time. Or an '05 for much less.

I'd blame it on SWMBO not wanting a manual, but she's a trooper, she'd (re)learn to drive one if necessary, but it's not necessary, and for this hypothetical car's intended use we'd rather have an automatic. DSG would be great, but the GTI and GLI haven't gotten into this price range yet.

I found a '12 2.0l DSG CC with 67K miles that fits most of the criteria, but that causes a lot of long term reliability apprehension, pretty sure even the floor mats use CAN-bus on those.

Rusted_Busted_Spit wrote: 2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Wagon 9-3 Saab - $6970

Beautiful, right color even. Wish the MPGs were better, Fueleconomy.gov says 24 highway, 18 city.

MadScientistMatt wrote: Volvo C30? Saturn Astra?

I would have owned a C30 years ago if I were shopping for me, unfortunately it's a 2(3) door, 4 door is much preferred. Everyone I've pointed out in the past has been called "ugly" by the other driver of our future carpool commuter.

I'd entertain an orphan like most Saabs, they were around a while, but I have some apprehension about a one year only Astra, plus they're kind of homely looking.

Thanks for the recommendations so far!

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltraDork
6/30/16 1:24 p.m.

I'm surprised the wagon comes in at such poor economy figures. I drove my brothers' 2005 9-3 automatic from KY to FL and back. It rolled along getting 35 mpg at 80mph.

His current 2007 Passat 2.0T auto sedan gets exactly 30 on the hwy.

My 2007 Passat gets 25-26 but it's the AWD wagon VR6.

Saab seemed to have nailed the mileage thing pretty well.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/30/16 1:27 p.m.

I have no idea why the numbers are so bad on the 9-3. On the highway that should see an easy 30mpg, see above.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
6/30/16 10:24 p.m.
It's as though the 328D X-drive Sport Wagon was made for me, alas they're about triple my budget.

I checked out an amazingly beautiful one owned by a fellow Caravan enthusiast (true story!) a few months back. It's vaguely exciting to think that someday those will be cheap.

seyhan3535
seyhan3535 New Reader
7/6/16 11:39 p.m.

In reply to Rusted_Busted_Spit:

I get 30 mpg according to the SID going 70mph in my 2.0T. Fun cars. But the I would avoid later model 2.0T's as there seems to be a problem with the valves from the factory. Get the 2.8T <3 and tune it.

Aspen
Aspen Reader
7/7/16 6:57 a.m.

Those Saab numbers are incorrect for the 2.0T. Maybe mixed up with the 2.8l. I owned a 2.0 fwd auto. Best highway was 36mpg, usually 33-34. Had a 2.8l std awd and it got about 26 highway. The 2.0 combo was a great car.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
7/7/16 1:32 p.m.

I thought I'd read here on GRM to avoid the turbo V6, no? No tunes will be done, on anything we get, unless the tune both improves performance and MPGs.

Direct from fueleconomy.gov

I don't doubt there could be a type-o, or numbers mix-up and I appreciate real world anecdotes.

There's only two 2.0l 9-3 wagons on Fuelly.com, and based on their averages, it seems that 30+ Hwy MPG is within reason.

LifeIsStout
LifeIsStout GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/8/16 6:32 p.m.

It's not quite 4 doors but a MINI countryman could be found in that range. Wife had an 07 cooper S that got above 35 mpg.

Also could look towards Subaru in that criteria.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
7/9/16 9:10 a.m.
LifeIsStout wrote: It's not quite 4 doors but a MINI countryman could be found in that range. Wife had an 07 cooper S that got above 35 mpg. Also could look towards Subaru in that criteria.

Clubman maybe? The Countryman is still too new for our <$10K, I do like the Countryman, even the other new smaller 4 door option, whatever it's called. I've loved the Countryman Cooper S All4 since it was announced, alas cheapest I've found is a $14K, '11 model with almost 100K miles on it.

I'd own a few Subarus, however, everyone I've been in as a driver or passenger has been, noisy, a bit harsh, and buzzy going down the road, so I've avoided them for this particular application. I've been focusing on the luxury end of the spectrum in an attempt to alleviate road/wind noise, and provide a more refined, even posh interior.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/9/16 10:21 a.m.
bigdaddylee82 wrote: I thought I'd read here on GRM to avoid the turbo V6, no? No tunes will be done, on anything we get, unless the tune both improves performance and MPGs.

This frequently comes up. Saab used two turbo V6s in the 2000s, one is crap and one isn't. A 3.0 in the 9-5 and a 2.8 in the 9-3. The 3.0 is a GM L81 with a turbo strapped to one bank that you DO NOT WANT because it is an AWFUL engine and impossible to service. The 2.8 LP9 is actually a very nice engine and much more stout than the terrible 3.0.

92dxman
92dxman SuperDork
7/9/16 1:38 p.m.

This is European in a roundabout way. How about a Dodge Magnum Wagon with all wheel drive? It does have Mercedes parts in it's bones.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
7/10/16 12:05 a.m.

AWD chrysler LX cars only came with 3.5 and 5.7L engines, and even the base model 2.7 couldn't really do 30mpg highway. I owned one and did try. Best i EVER got on a 2.7 2wd was 26 and change. I was able to average 24mpg though. The tiny difference between AVG and HWY numbers was frustrating when i owned that thing.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0O5XvkJMfdd53FeLoEbil7x1jH8Au03CI2jaTMBYooPnn44sHhfmEbkunCDaKfqw