1 2
buzzboy
buzzboy UltraDork
10/13/24 2:33 p.m.

My best friend just moved into his Great Grand Uncle's house who was an absolute car guy from way back. He is trying to identify this car and neither of us have any idea. 

Help me Obi One GRM, you're my only hope

ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter)
ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/13/24 2:46 p.m.

I don't know, but I'm guessing it is an early or mid-teens model. It doesn't quite look right for a Chevrolet Baby Grand. Perhaps a Buick...whatever the four door touring model from that era was called? Or maybe a Haynes?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/13/24 2:59 p.m.

Somewhere in Canada,  ShawnG's spidey sense is tingling.

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/13/24 3:11 p.m.

I did a quick image search '14-16. not a dodge, ford, Chevy, or Studebaker, as far as I can tell. Rear suicide doors with exposed hinges and no handle, and sharp angle where front fender meets running boards are the stand out differences. The top frame is a bit unique.

The closest thing to me looks like a 1913 Buick Touring, but the doors aren't the same and your car has no front bumper.

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/13/24 3:39 p.m.

Also, I love the rounded running board bags. Have not seen a similar style in my image searches. I'm guessing they were bespoke, along with the front bumper. I wonder if there was a 1915 JC Whitney catalog? 

Tk8398
Tk8398 HalfDork
10/13/24 4:18 p.m.

It's strange that there are so many cars from that era that nobody even remembers existed or who made them.  Even by the mid 1930s it's rare to find one that nobody can identify, but much older and it can be near impossible.  

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/13/24 4:51 p.m.

Not Winton or Overland, REO, or Oldsmobile. The key is the curve at the top of the leading edge of the front door, the mostly square rear door that is not cut into by the rear fender, and the forward leaning top supports over the windshield. 

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
10/13/24 4:59 p.m.

Sure looks like a Buick to me but I'm not an expert on brass-era stuff.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/13/24 9:18 p.m.

In reply to buzzboy :

Would you mind if I share these photos? I belong to a group that probably knows the answer. 

buzzboy
buzzboy UltraDork
10/13/24 10:33 p.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

Please do!

Coniglio Rampante
Coniglio Rampante Reader
10/13/24 10:33 p.m.

The first photo has what looks like the letters "T.E.C." between the doors.  I can't find a reference for that in any of my books. And the space between the doors makes me think of a Lancia Lambda, but other things don't match up.  I'm stumped.

buzzboy
buzzboy UltraDork
10/13/24 10:40 p.m.

Those are his initials. I've seen his Model T that also had TEC on the door so I wouldn't be surprised if all his cars had it.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/13/24 10:54 p.m.

Where did he live? Sometimes cars of that era were hyper-local. 

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/13/24 11:13 p.m.

Using Google Lens it says a Buick c55.

I know nothing about that era of cars so I don't know if that's accurate 

Coniglio Rampante
Coniglio Rampante Reader
10/14/24 12:04 a.m.

Yeah, I'm throwing my hat in with folks who've said "Buick."

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
10/14/24 12:21 a.m.

Hood and radiator shape are very similar to the 1913 I was playing with a few years ago.

This is a McLaughlin Buick, assembled in Canada so there are slight differences in the body but firewall forward should be the same.

The car in the first picture has an accessory bumper on the front.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
10/14/24 7:22 a.m.

Bumpers were accessory items on most cars back then. I've seen the same bumper on multiple brands of cars of that vintage.

akylekoz
akylekoz UberDork
10/14/24 7:33 a.m.

Lot - RARE EARLY AUTOMOBILE SALESMAN'S WHEEL SAMPLE - Cased Sample,  probably Ford Model T, circa 1910, containing a twelve-spoke wooden wheel  with rubber tire, nickel plated rim, clips and mounts

The wheel looks like this, but the center cap is wrong.  Somewhat unique twelve spoke with six center and outer bolts.  OP picture shows a single line on the center cap.

Pierce Arrow wheel?  1913 Pierce Arrow is my guess.

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) UltimaDork
10/14/24 7:35 a.m.

Post your picture here and they'll identify it quickly...

https://forums.aaca.org/forum/66-what-is-it/

akylekoz
akylekoz UberDork
10/14/24 7:43 a.m.

1912 Pierce-Arrow 36 touring | Richard Spiegelman | Flickr

Too bad there is not a better look at the radiator temp gauge in the old pictures.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
10/14/24 9:14 a.m.

In reply to akylekoz :

Boyce Motometers were accessories and went on everything. 

buzzboy
buzzboy UltraDork
10/14/24 9:16 a.m.

That 1912 Pierce Arrow sure looks right to me.

This is Spartanburg South Carolina.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
10/14/24 10:05 a.m.

The frame covers between the body and the running board are a different shape on the Pierce.

Pierce-Arrows were VERY expensive cars at that time. Top-tier stuff in the USA.

akylekoz
akylekoz UberDork
10/14/24 10:45 a.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

And the hood may be a bit too long on the Arrow.

But in the OP pictures there are straps on the frame covers.  Is that what I see?  Some kine of storage.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
10/14/24 10:50 a.m.

In reply to akylekoz :

Appears to be that way 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gbiMX0cGPUZNGR2vURIXWrtkGM3buOQ0rK3IBmgeTrXfN9l4j3I9rOYfQjusRHY5