1 2
dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/20/13 5:58 p.m.

We are thinking about replacing our 2006 Toyota Sequoia with a wagon of some sort. Requirements are good cargo capacity, reasonable MPG and at least semi-sporting intentions. It would be my wife's DD, kid hauler and interstate tripper, so no projects, swaps, POS suggestions please.

Willing to spend up to $20k.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UberDork
1/20/13 6:02 p.m.

3 or 5 series?

ea_sport
ea_sport Reader
1/20/13 6:54 p.m.

Probably not in the $20s yet but worth considering is a slightly used TSX Sport Wagon..you should be able to find a few used ones by now no? or may be a slightly used Jetta SportWagen TDI...

dculberson
dculberson SuperDork
1/20/13 7:02 p.m.

Volvo V70r? $20k would get you a really nice one.

JtspellS
JtspellS HalfDork
1/20/13 7:04 p.m.

What size are you looking for?

Speed3?

525i?

Other?

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
1/20/13 7:14 p.m.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/3485213409.html

???

motomoron
motomoron Dork
1/20/13 7:24 p.m.

I'm in love w/ my e39 525iT manual - not especially sporting though.

Newer 530Xi?

dyintorace
1/20/13 7:34 p.m.

Having owned one, a 3 series would be too small. Still needs to fit our Great Dane. A 5 series would probably work. I'd love a 535 wagon, but I think they are still too much. Are e60 wagons "findable" without the AWD? I don't need or want the complexity. I wish the e60 was as pretty as the e39.

Mazda 3 would be too small too.

A Jetta Sportwagon is an option. We could get a pretty darn new one for under $20k. I thought VAG products were to be avoided though. Have they gotten better?

Volvos are interesting. How are they from a reliability perspective?

Did Mazda make a Mazdaspeed 6 wagon? That would be sweet.

How about a Subaru Legacy GT wagon? It seems like the newest I can find is a 2007. Did the Legacy wagon go away after that?

Don49
Don49 Reader
1/20/13 7:39 p.m.

Check out the Mazda 5. We just bought one, 6 seats and a suprising amount of room.

Interactive
Interactive New Reader
1/20/13 7:57 p.m.

In reply to dyintorace: I think the Legacy wagon was nicked in favor of the Legacy Outback version. Much like we don't get the V70 anymore only the XC70 Volvo

dculberson
dculberson SuperDork
1/20/13 8:04 p.m.

I believe the Volvo v70r is seen as generally reliable. there are trouble spots as with any Euro car - the angle drive on the transmission can start giving trouble after 100k or so - but most of the problems crop up later in life.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
1/20/13 8:07 p.m.
dyintorace wrote: Willing to spend up to $20k.

Does not compute...

Unfortunately, I have nothing useful to add. My whole fleet combined isn't worth that much (and it's like 10+ cars).

Clem

Shaun
Shaun HalfDork
1/20/13 8:17 p.m.

The second generation V70Rs (2004-2007) are proving to be long lived, and like most Volvo's through the years, reliable. They have quite a bit of luxo stuff to go wrong and, and stuff goes wrong. 06-07 have the much better 6 speed getrag auto box. all years can be found fairly easily with 6 sped manuals. 06-07s have a better Haldex system. Many of them need angle gears and many will already have had it replaced. The manual cars have problems with the slave cylinder, which is in the trans. There is a revised part. Most cars with some miles have had this replaced. There are some cars that have electrical gremlins. The dampers are tied into the abs system and are computer controlled. Replacement dampers are 300 each or so each and (i believe) there is only one source- if different retailers. The seats are awesome, they make seven passenger versions with two brats facing rearwards, they hold a bunch of stuff, can tow pretty well, go around corners pretty good, have big asses brembo brakes, and take mowar boost readily.

I love the Subie Legacy GT wagons of the same general era. From what I understand, the Subie will be cheaper to run, handle a bit better, and will take mowar boost as well. I don't think the subie boxer or transmissions have anywhere near the same record of racking up miles as the volvo stuff does. IMO, the 04-07 v70/s60 interior is one one the best ever. The subie looks and feels cheap in comparison. One of those is our next SUV type car. The Volvo's have depreciated more. I like them both allot.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
1/20/13 8:17 p.m.

Mazdaspeed6 was never realized as a wagon, sadly. I'd trade my Speed3 IMMEDIATELY if I could get one, just because wagons are boss.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce HalfDork
1/20/13 8:36 p.m.

They made a turbo Forester in a body style that was more of a tall car/boxy wagon than the giant abominations that they call the forester now. I always thought they'd make a fine family hauler and a few STI bits would make them lovely to drive.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
1/20/13 8:47 p.m.

Plus, the Legacy GT wagon from the previous generation is one of the prettiest wagons ever made.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
1/20/13 8:55 p.m.

Saab 9-3 Wagon?

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/20/13 9:01 p.m.

What's your definition of "reasonable" for milage? Audi C5 S6 Avant will probably do high teens, maybe low 20s depending on how you drive it.

Teggsan
Teggsan Reader
1/20/13 10:22 p.m.

Jetta Sportwagen is fairly huge inside given its external dimensions, and if you get a diesel, you'll get high 30s MPG combined.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/20/13 11:35 p.m.

Mazda5 would be the most practical, but it's not "fast". It drives like a regular 3, which is still pretty sporty, and all the Speed3 bits bolt to it.

No Mazdaspeed6 wagon, but the regular 6 wagons all have the sweet V6. The Mazda6 wagon 5-speed with the Sport Pack is a bit of a unicorn though. I gave up after 3 months and bought the 5. The 6 basically feels and drives like a FWD BMW.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
1/20/13 11:43 p.m.

I dont care if you don't want a swap. This just belongs here.

dyintorace
1/21/13 10:12 a.m.
Shaun wrote: The second generation V70Rs (2004-2007) are proving to be long lived, and like most Volvo's through the years, reliable. They have quite a bit of luxo stuff to go wrong and, and stuff goes wrong. 06-07 have the much better 6 speed getrag auto box. all years can be found fairly easily with 6 sped manuals. 06-07s have a better Haldex system. Many of them need angle gears and many will already have had it replaced. The manual cars have problems with the slave cylinder, which is in the trans. There is a revised part. Most cars with some miles have had this replaced. There are some cars that have electrical gremlins. The dampers are tied into the abs system and are computer controlled. Replacement dampers are 300 each or so each and (i believe) there is only one source- if different retailers. The seats are awesome, they make seven passenger versions with two brats facing rearwards, they hold a bunch of stuff, can tow pretty well, go around corners pretty good, have big asses brembo brakes, and take mowar boost readily. I love the Subie Legacy GT wagons of the same general era. From what I understand, the Subie will be cheaper to run, handle a bit better, and will take mowar boost as well. I don't think the subie boxer or transmissions have anywhere near the same record of racking up miles as the volvo stuff does. IMO, the 04-07 v70/s60 interior is one one the best ever. The subie looks and feels cheap in comparison. One of those is our next SUV type car. The Volvo's have depreciated more. I like them both allot.

Thanks for the feedback on the V70R. I'll spend some time checking those out. I like that you can get them with a manual transmission fairly easily too.

dyintorace
1/21/13 10:13 a.m.
codrus wrote: What's your definition of "reasonable" for milage? Audi C5 S6 Avant will probably do high teens, maybe low 20s depending on how you drive it.

Hmm. I like this idea. I had a 2000 S4 that my wife loved. An S6 wagon might interest her!

dyintorace
1/21/13 10:13 a.m.
Teggsan wrote: Jetta Sportwagen is fairly huge inside given its external dimensions, and if you get a diesel, you'll get high 30s MPG combined.

How are VAG products of late? This board takes a dim view of them traditionally. Is there a recent timeframe when they got better?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/21/13 10:15 a.m.

For some reason, i'm thinking you could get the Saab 9-5 in wagon, AWD, later good V6 turbo, and manual trans...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hlfM6cDG7GFzG28uFKQl1mADbNLAVUWi6SNjjidhDKu4Qm2SBsps4NQQGvTD1Crr