1 2 3
Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon Reader
7/2/12 10:05 p.m.

As lame as this sounds, we have a Malibu maxx as the baby hauler, and actually like it quite a bit. Lots of room, smooth ride, extremely low maintenance, aaaaaaand the best part: absolutely ZERO temptation to modify it. No manual option though, so it may not be for you, but they're around your price range. Just a thought. puts flame suit on

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
7/2/12 11:37 p.m.
aaaaaaand the best part: absolutely ZERO temptation to modify it.

Well on the plus side it's already faster than everything on the list except maybe some configurations of the saabs. If one were to get an SS it would be faster than all of them by a good margin and probably handle better 'out of the box' than at least some of them.

tuna55
tuna55 UltraDork
7/3/12 6:01 a.m.
Spoolpigeon wrote: As lame as this sounds, we have a Malibu maxx as the baby hauler, and actually like it quite a bit. Lots of room, smooth ride, extremely low maintenance, aaaaaaand the best part: absolutely ZERO temptation to modify it. No manual option though, so it may not be for you, but they're around your price range. Just a thought. *puts flame suit on*

I looked at these before buying the PT Cruiser. If you want 'stone reliable and pretty nice inside and out' a Maxx, Cruiser or HHR is a good bet, although they are all varying degrees of ugly and boring.

Fletch1
Fletch1 HalfDork
7/3/12 6:23 a.m.

I did find a 92 Civic Si unmolested up the road where I live. I posted it in the $2012 classifieds section. If you really want a Suby, like it sounds, get one. That would make a good choice. Grm's project Impreza is sweet.

Flight Service
Flight Service SuperDork
7/3/12 9:42 a.m.
Spoolpigeon wrote: As lame as this sounds, we have a Malibu maxx as the baby hauler, and actually like it quite a bit. Lots of room, smooth ride, extremely low maintenance, aaaaaaand the best part: absolutely ZERO temptation to modify it. No manual option though, so it may not be for you, but they're around your price range. Just a thought. *puts flame suit on*

I hate the way the Malibu MAXX looks inside and out (remember I like the way a Mazda5 and X3 look). That being said, that is an incredibly functional vehicle. Commonized drivetrain for easy parts sourcing, nice storage, etc.

At this point why not just go full ugly and buy an Aztec. On the other hand...

Matt B
Matt B Dork
7/3/12 9:52 a.m.
Fletch1 wrote: I did find a 92 Civic Si unmolested up the road where I live. I posted it in the $2012 classifieds section. If you really want a Suby, like it sounds, get one. That would make a good choice. Grm's project Impreza is sweet.

That is exactly like the 93 Si I had for 7 years, sniff. Wish it was closer and less rusty. That isn't stopping me from checking flight rates to OH . . .

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon Reader
7/3/12 10:45 a.m.

In reply to Flight Service:

I agree 100%. It's not exactly the best looking car, but very handy. The back seats slide forward and back, recline, and fold down flat. So does the passenger seat, which made hauling 8 foot pieces of baseboard trim home from BLowes cake. Plenty of room in the hatch for the stroller (jeezis I feel old saying that), which consumed the entire trunk of her previous car. Also, that 3.5L v-6 has been very good to us. It seems that GM fixed all the problems they had with all the old v6s. We even got 28 mpg out of it going to cincinnatti and back.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FVC7TCnJ5PeWWcyM2mQJ4ywt7e9aqH3jpkmV4D8H9mp3UChuBYLW0suyzgeTSfNr