1 2
eastsidemav
eastsidemav Dork
5/1/15 11:19 a.m.

I'm helping my wife seek out a new car, and am hoping the GRM hive mind can help me come up with anything I may have missed. She's got a fairly specific set of requirements(kind of unicorn-ish), and (barring any problems) will be trying to keep this car for ten years or so. She's looking for something comfortable, but at least a bit sporty for about 18-20K miles a year of driving. This will be replacing a first-gen Mazda6 4 cylinder automatic. Looking at about a top price of around 30K, new, CPO used, or maybe used Carmax with a warranty. So, here we go:

Size: Preferably compact, she liked the size of the 6(about 70-71" wide, 187" long), but there's no mid-size cars out there that small anymore, so smaller is the objective. A mid-size isn't out if it drives "small", and a subcompact is okay if it meets enough other requirements.

Body style: In order of most to least preference: Sedan, Coupe, Hatch, Wagon. No CUVs(except maybe Subarus)

Performance/Comfort: Would like it to be faster than the 6, but not needed. Needs to be an automatic. She liked the 6's handling. Needs to be reasonably comfortable for highway and city commuting, and long distance driving. Preferred mileage comparable or better than the 6 (about 27 MPG in mixed driving)

Color: Can't be Silver or White. Would like Yellow, Red, Blue, or Purple. Other colors are probably acceptable, she wants a car that stands out a bit. I've mentioned we could get the car wrapped if need be. Would prefer not to have a black interior, but if the exterior color is light enough, its possible.

Dependability: As she'll own it for a while, she wants something that won't be likely to be a hassle to own. This doesn't rule out the Germans, but it makes us somewhat wary of them. Good dealership experience would be nice, which is why Acura and Lexus would be kind of tempting.

Features: Heated seats are a must. The car should have good outward visibility (neither of us are fond of massive A pillars and tiny rear windows). Would really like to have Bluetooth and a leather wrapped steering wheel. Would be nice to have the following, but not required: Heated mirrors, leather seats, auto-dimming rear view mirror, backup camera, active safety like adaptive cruise control, etc. Cooled seats would be neat, but unlikely in this class. She is indifferent towards sunroofs, navigation, and touchscreens, if the car has it that's okay, but she's not looking for those features.

Top tier list of cars I've suggested:

2016 Acura ILX - Base model or base model with Acurawatch. Older models are a no go due to the chrome beak being butt ugly.

Mazda3s Sedan Touring or Grand Touring - The 3i may be a possibility, too.

Honda Civic EX-L - Basically a downmarket ILX. May not be powerful enough.

VW Jetta SE - With the 1.8TSI engine this meets the power requirements, and I've heard visibility out of it is excellent. Just nervous due to the VW factor.

2nd tier list:

Used CPO 2nd or third gen Lexus IS250.

Hyundai Elantra - She's worried the seats may be too hard, like in other Hyundais she's been in.

VW Golf - Probably a nicer interior than the Jetta, but its a hatchback.

Dodge Dart GT - Don't know enough about it yet to eliminate it. Can get it in bright orange, though

Audi A3 - Stretching to get it, plus dubious long term reliability.

Farther down the list are: Impreza, Crosstrek, Forester, Honda Fit, Mini Cooper, used GS350.

Okay, so after that massive dump of data, any opinions on the cars above, especially from owners? Any that I should cross off the list? Anything I am forgetting that should be added to the search? She hates going to dealers, so we are trying to minimize the number of trips to them as much as possible by eliminating options, and getting a short list together.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/1/15 11:29 a.m.

Buick Regal turbo?

Petrolburner
Petrolburner HalfDork
5/1/15 11:39 a.m.

http://www.edmunds.com/lexus/ct-200h/

CPO Lexus CT200h, it's an attractive Prius.

drummerfromdefleopard
drummerfromdefleopard GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/1/15 11:42 a.m.

veloster turbo; comes in crazy colors, slots between the hatch and coupe body style

Forte SX?

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
5/1/15 11:45 a.m.
drummerfromdefleopard wrote: veloster turbo; comes in crazy colors, slots between the hatch and coupe body style Forte SX?

has anyone ever told you that you spelled your username wrong?

edizzle89
edizzle89 HalfDork
5/1/15 12:04 p.m.
eastsidemav wrote: Hyundai Elantra - She's worried the seats may be too hard, like in other Hyundais she's been in.

there isnt alot i can help you with here but i can confirm that the elantra has the hardest seats ive ever sat in and were awful on even 1 hour long drives. also ours use to lose its alignment every ~20k miles and ate tires.

chuckles
chuckles HalfDork
5/1/15 12:09 p.m.

I was thinking ILX while I was reading.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Dork
5/1/15 12:16 p.m.

Oh yeah, years ago, I remember the European car makers having a reputation for more comfortable seats than American and Japanese manufacturers for long distance driving. Is it still that way?

KyAllroad
KyAllroad Dork
5/1/15 12:23 p.m.

It'd be older than you're looking at but how about the very best Saab 9-3 you can find? Use a bit of the savings to buy an extended warrantee and enjoy. My brother had an '05 and it got better than 30 mpg on the highway, had very comfy seats and did everything you'd want in a slightly quirky way.

Bonus, safest cars ever built. He got hit head on at speed and walked away without a scratch.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
5/1/15 12:31 p.m.

I would test-drive the Mazda3 and a Mazda6. My guess is she'll want the 6.

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
5/1/15 12:51 p.m.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/1/15 12:51 p.m.

Buick Verano? I picked this up last month and have been very happy with it. It was a leftover and I ended up getting almost $5000 off so it ended up at $20k. The only options it doesn't have are heated seats and moonroof but I liked the color and lower price. Most of the dealers I checked had a few of them sitting around so you may find one she likes for a good deal.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 SuperDork
5/1/15 12:55 p.m.

Mazda3 (or 6) in Soul Red

WizardDog
WizardDog New Reader
5/1/15 12:57 p.m.

I've heard pretty good things about the 1.8tsi. I'm helping my buddy buy his first car (and learn to drive), and we've settled on a new Golf Sportwagen 1.8tsi manual. Very nice car and you get a lot for the money. Plus, an APR tune for 600 bucks and you get 251 hp, and near 300 lb-ft of torque I think

Anyway, I think that the VW issues are overblown; we have a 2011 touareg tdi and a 2012 jetta sel in the family- neither of which have had any issues- the touareg is at 60k now. I've also owned a MKIV VW, and it never gave me any real issues either.

I can't remember if the new jetta has switched over to the multilink rear for the 1.8t, but I would say that would be a necessity. My sisters jetta has the el-cheapo rear suspension, and it doesn't ride well over bumps, nor is it very "sporty" in its handling. If you could swing a GLI, that is a very nice car and feels far more upscale. I happen to like the DSG very much, and it will get excellent mileage (almost 40mpg highway @ 75-80 on a roadtrip in northern AZ). Drives like a more expensive car, too.

*edit: Just re-read your needs/budget, and I would definitely look at the GLI, if you can get over the black interior.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Dork
5/1/15 1:09 p.m.

Okay, based on the above:

The ILX may be a front runner.

Scratching the Hyundai, and probably skipping Kia, since I've driven a recent Rio and Accent, and they had the exact same seats.

Will ask her to give the 6 a look when we check out the 3. I think she'll prefer the 3 (We liked it better when we bought the 6, but needed more room, now we have a minivan for hauling stuff around)

I'll ask her about the Focus and the CT200, but I think she's not fond of the looks of either. I'd kind of like a Focus Titanium hatchback.

We sat in a Verano a ways back, but were not overly impressed, but maybe we'll take another look.

Will give the Jetta a closer look. She could swing the cost of the GLI, so it would depend on whether the extra power is worth it to her. I need to dig a bit more, but may need to get at least an SEL to get the multi-link rear suspension.

WizardDog
WizardDog New Reader
5/1/15 1:14 p.m.

In reply to eastsidemav:

I don't know if it has changed, but the GLI also gets nicer interior materials and a soft-touch dash and everything. As far as I know, none of the regular jettas get that. Though they may have changed that with the newest SEL. Also DSG vs Slushbox on the 1.8t.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Dork
5/1/15 2:17 p.m.

Looks like all the Jettas now get the independent rear suspension. So if she likes the Jetta, it'll just be a matter or which options she's willing to pay for.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltraDork
5/1/15 2:26 p.m.

We bought the first '14 Mazda 6 the dealer got, fully optioned (which includes the heated leather, one of my wife's requirements.) Paid right on 30. It meets all your requirements except physical size - it's a long joker - but it drives pretty small. Can be a little fiddly in a parking lot though.

If the 3 is half as nice a place to be as our 6 when driving, I don't see why you're even thinking about anything else.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Dork
5/1/15 2:31 p.m.
ultraclyde wrote: We bought the first '14 Mazda 6 the dealer got, fully optioned (which includes the heated leather, one of my wife's requirements.) ... Can be a little fiddly in a parking lot though.

That sounds like a reason against the 6 for her, but if we're going to the Mazda dealer, may still sit in one.

BTW - My wife will probably be lurking on this thread, so please do keep up the commentary on any of the cars listed in the first post, and any other recommendations you may have.

drummerfromdefleopard
drummerfromdefleopard GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/1/15 2:52 p.m.

Frisbee twin

WizardDog
WizardDog New Reader
5/1/15 2:59 p.m.

I haven't spent any time in the new mazdas, so I have no idea how the quality compares for the interior. But from a design perspective, I think the vw looks like a much nicer place to spend time.

The Mazda will, of course, drive great. I still miss my speed3.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
5/1/15 3:39 p.m.

The soon to be ex's 2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring is a damn fine vehicle.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
5/1/15 4:06 p.m.

Since you mentioned it I will say that the wife's Elantra has been the perfect car so far. No problems at all since we bought it in 2012. I don't find the seats hard, just asked her and she doesn't either. It's not going to be more powerful than the 6 but will get better mpgs. It's not going to feel as nice as some of the higher end cars on you list but it's worlds better than what I think of when I think about an economy car.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
5/1/15 4:18 p.m.
Nick_Comstock wrote: Since you mentioned it I will say that the wife's Elantra has been the perfect car so far. No problems at all since we bought it in 2012. I don't find the seats hard, just asked her and she doesn't either. It's not going to be more powerful than the 6 but will get better mpgs. It's not going to feel as nice as some of the higher end cars on you list but it's worlds better than what I think of when I think about an economy car.

Huh? Not only does the 6 have another 40hp over the Elantra, but with Tech Package returns 40mpg on the highway.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
5/1/15 5:05 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac:

Having reading comprehension problems today? I said it will NOT be more powerful than her current car but would get better mpgs. I stand by that.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9P9A6Va6bzg0KiWZcUIFLCVTXAWFDgMgHAwQaWL5diA0jD1NoxTTm1wRXBFeqH31