1 2 3 4
rattlecan
rattlecan New Reader
4/8/22 6:07 p.m.

I've been looking around for a project car to work on with my kids and all the stuff that used to be cheap and fun is now some kind of classic. Miata, E36, rwd Corollas, Fox body etc. it's got me wondering, will any cars made after 2005 be the "I remember back when those were a dime a dozen" cars? Everything seems so bland or pricey or complex right now, but maybe I'm missing something. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/8/22 6:15 p.m.

After 2005? I am drawing blanks.  All they seem to make are trucks and trucklike cars.  The Korean offerings are the most sensible but there is little enthusiast backing for Rios and the like.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/8/22 6:15 p.m.

Cheap sh!t boxes with real internal combustion engines, manual transmissions, and no nanny-controls. 

Think 2011 Hyundai Accent 2 Dr hatch. 

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/8/22 6:18 p.m.

People really hate and are dismissive of NC Miatas for some reason. I think they will have their day in the sun.

9th gen Civic Sis with the K24 also come to mind as something people are dismissive of now but will probably be more desirable in the future.

I would say Nissan 370Z but I was half-shopping for one last year and it seemed like they never really made it down to a reasonable price.

Maybe the last of the 6-speed/V6 Accord coupes?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/8/22 6:19 p.m.
John Welsh said:

Cheap sh!t boxes with real internal combustion engines, manual transmissions, and no nanny-controls. 

I didn't know they even still made an Accent that late!

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
4/8/22 6:22 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

I didn't know they even still made an Accent that late!

They dropped the hatch and only offer the sedan version, but they still make the Accent.  Can't say I've ever seen the current version in the wild though. 

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
4/8/22 6:22 p.m.

What about SN95/New Edge Mustangs?

Those haven't really followed Fox 'Stangs into retro classic status have they?

rattlecan
rattlecan New Reader
4/8/22 6:27 p.m.

A bunch of the old guys in my Miata club love their NCs because they actually fit In them. 

calteg
calteg SuperDork
4/8/22 6:42 p.m.

SRT-4 Neons I believe were made in 2005 and haven't seemed to appreciate too much. They certainly have their fair share of flaws and most have been rode hard and put away wet

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
4/8/22 6:48 p.m.

2005 - 2010 Single seat racing cars...................because they fall into the cheap zone.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/8/22 6:55 p.m.

Unmolested WRX. When's the last time you've seen a clean eagle eye Rex?

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
4/8/22 7:08 p.m.

Pandemic pricing excepted, the 350Z is probably as cheap as it'll ever be.  I agree the NC Miata will be in demand, especially since it makes a better daily than the NA/NB.  Before 2020, it seemed like NC1s were starting to fall below the price of nice NAs.  Early S197 Mustangs will be interesting to keep an eye on, since they are overshadowed by the 5.0s.  They might be a bargain longer than other performance cars.  GTOs have been a bargain, as long as you don't mind a rebuilt title.  I bet they'll go up in price as more get totaled.

Clean GD WRXes are already on the rise.

Butters
Butters New Reader
4/8/22 7:16 p.m.

If people aren't set on RWD, I could see easy to boost vehicles vehicles getting popular.  Volvos, VW, and SAAB prices still seem to fall rapidly.  Many models also seem pretty cheap to get good power out of.

I could also see people lowering CUVs to take advantage of the AWD.  I think you would have to be particular about which ones to do - depending on weight and the type of AWD system.  Although honestly, I can't think of one off the top of my head that would be any better lowered. Maybe the V6 Rav4?  I don't know much about the AWD system in it, but I assume it is probably like others that only kick in a little once it slips.  Not sure anything goes to the rear wheels before that.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
4/8/22 7:31 p.m.

Focus with a 2.3l motor in it.  It's SVT power, but nobody knows about it.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/8/22 7:33 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

I had one of those. They're cool, but so unknown that most of them are already used up or rust buckets. I took great care of mine and the rockers were pretty much gone despite my best efforts.

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
4/8/22 7:37 p.m.

Not in the small and sporty category but...

I'm waiting for the twin turbo V6 Fusions and Lincolns to hit the bottom of the depreciation curve.

At some point they will be just another old Ford.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/8/22 8:18 p.m.

In reply to BlueInGreen - Jon :

There is a relatively current MKZ that has a 400hp 3.0tt and awd!  Also could be had in the more expensive Continental. 

Bring on that notorious Lincoln depreciation! 

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/8/22 8:44 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Unmolested WRX. When's the last time you've seen a clean eagle eye Rex?

+1 for WRX. Looked at a yellow bug eye wagon briefly and remembered how hot they were when new. 

GeddesB
GeddesB GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/8/22 9:12 p.m.

I was looking for a cheap rally X beater, mostly after a decent Focus/Cobalt/Neon econobox type.   I found a B15 SE-R Spec V for sale in my beer money price range.  After looking at all the goodies that came on it stock, I bought it.  How did I ever over look  these Gems?!?

Then came this:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/skyline-style-b15-sentra-se-r/

NOT A TA
NOT A TA UltraDork
4/8/22 9:12 p.m.

Cobalt SS?

RyanGreener (Forum Supporter)
RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) Reader
4/8/22 9:18 p.m.

RX8?

lnlds
lnlds Reader
4/8/22 10:30 p.m.

E90 BMWs are still reasonable naturally aspirated rwd bmw goodness and badness. 

3rd gen manual focus as a mazda3 alternative or warm hatch. Better geared, dynos higher, half the price, revs out to 7200 with a tune. 

j_tso
j_tso HalfDork
4/8/22 10:47 p.m.

350Z was already mentioned, they're now the go-to drift car that the 240SX was 20 years ago.  Also don't forget the Infiniti equivalents.

In the same vein, there's the Lexus ISs.

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/8/22 11:02 p.m.
John Welsh said:

THIS, THIS NAILED IT.

Nobody is sleeping on the first gen WRX or any of the other enthusiast cars that have been listed. Those cars go for MEGA bucks in clean condition. HELL, even the Honda Fit which I love and adore isn't really slept on, the people who know fits LOVE THEM. Even in the non enthusiast community they are enjoyed, the first and 2nd gen cars are ABSURDLY reliable and just gennuinely refuse to die.

SO what are enthusuasts sleeping on?

Cheap durable E36 M3boxes that weren't/aren't overly encumbered with safety gear, TCS, stabilty control and the like.

Modern economy cars are loaded to bear with lots of tech that if one wheel speed sensor fails the entire systems freak out.

My 2008 Honda fit.... if a wheel speed sensor dies the car loses ABS, but everything in the braking system was setup correctly from the factory that you can still push to 9 out of 10 tenths on track... just as long as you can threshold brake!

Even in the Fit community the 2nd gen cars have Vehicle stability control intertwined with more than half the second gen cars.. and now mods are trickling down to circumvent it.. because the system automatically goes into limp/safety mode if the TMPS system isn't 100% happy.

I'm considering a late 00's camry as my next appliance DD because they are so damn simple and easy to service.

jh36
jh36 Dork
4/8/22 11:05 p.m.

FRS/BRZ

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VSbghPInafEJjsh75VqUI2PDWs3tKx99iS4WVfoik4ZY5ahXk3vafABhoEGYqatX