Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/18/24 11:20 a.m.

OK, lets say that you were going to do an entire reskin of a car, which models would be worth the trouble to do so on? Which cars (or trucks) have good platforms, dynamics and drivetrains but are let down by their exteriors?

Here's an example of a reskined Z3 that really works for me:

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
10/18/24 11:23 a.m.

Miata is the answer, and has been tried many times with varying degrees of success

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/18/24 11:39 a.m.

Volvo 1800 with the cockpit moved back 6" or 8" to more easily accommodate the 6 cylinder engine Volvo never put into it.

j_tso
j_tso Dork
10/18/24 11:52 a.m.

AM6 Aston Martin Vantage. Don't know how I'd fix it, but since 2018 it has looked so inelegant.

It works in race guise but on the street it looks like someone put on a body kit.

Aston Martin Vantage (2018) - Wikiwand

Turbine
Turbine GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/18/24 11:57 a.m.

2021 BMW M3 Review: Massive Power, Solid Refinement, And A Six-Speed Manual  Gearbox

Someone had to say it lol

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/18/24 11:58 a.m.
Kreb (Forum Supporter) said:

OK, lets say that you were going to do an entire reskin of a car, which models would be worth the trouble to do so on? Which cars (or trucks) have good platforms, dynamics and drivetrains but are let down by their exteriors?

Dang. That does look good. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
10/18/24 12:02 p.m.

Every Tesla

Old_Town
Old_Town HalfDork
10/18/24 12:09 p.m.

Honda Clarity 

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/18/24 12:28 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:
Kreb (Forum Supporter) said:

Dang. That does look good. 

5000 quid for the kit. That rear quarter window is key to the design IMO. Having a blank panel there would scream "kit car" while the extra detail makes it look custom or OEM. 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/18/24 3:06 p.m.

Cybertruck.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
10/18/24 3:14 p.m.
wvumtnbkr said:

Cybertruck.

Considering the general problems with it, I don't know that just a reskin will fit the bill.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
10/18/24 4:07 p.m.

Mazda should have built a minivan on the GD platform, so a rebody of the 626 into a volume seller car-like small family van instead of the truckish MPV that they instead built.  

Am I doing this right?

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/18/24 4:12 p.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

Mazda should have built a minivan on the GD platform, so a rebody of the 626 into a volume seller car-like small family van instead of the truckish MPV that they instead built.  

Am I doing this right?

Like a Mazda 5?

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
10/18/24 4:19 p.m.
wvumtnbkr said:
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

Am I doing this right?

Like a Mazda 5?

Yeah, but in 1988 when the GD platform came out.  Or maybe a year later with a stronger pair of transmissions (which would have been fed back to the rest of the cars on that platform), so the 2.2 and 2.2 Turbo engines and everything else from the 626.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/18/24 10:32 p.m.

The Daimler SP250/Dart wins this game every time.

2.5 liter Hemi V8, four wheel disc brakes, hideous fiberglass body.

SEADave
SEADave Dork
10/18/24 11:18 p.m.

In reply to Kreb (Forum Supporter) :

The rear quarter window on that custom Z3 sure looks like the one on a GT6 to me...

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
10/18/24 11:25 p.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

To be fair, it's mostly the hideous bassmouth on the front of it.  The rest of it isn't horrible.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
x3rciUHeEBVmVp70dl33C18kvMxSsqz5HxN02lMgXRcXvJFhbZnRN7bxK52hITUg