troyguitar
troyguitar
9/18/12 11:34 a.m.

Hi folks, I'm specifically talking about NASA TT/HDPE but I suspect most organizations have similar views on this subject.

I've got 20 years in karting including many of them road racing 125 shifters, winning national events at tracks like Road America, Mid-Ohio, Grattan, etc. All of this in vehicles that are much faster than most anything that will be running in HPDE/TT and requiring situational awareness without even having mirrors, and includes open practice sessions with everyone from extremely slow 4-stroke beginner karts to wicked fast 250 superkarts.

I think that should cover what the NASA TT application calls "Extensive past “Open Passing” Track or TT History" but do they actually agree?

I tried to ask on the NASA forums but the moderators disapproved my post for "linking to illegal software" despite my post containing no links whatsoever... no idea what is up with that.

Caleb
Caleb Reader
9/18/12 11:49 a.m.

Contact your local Chapter and ask on the phone or send them an email

oldtin
oldtin SuperDork
9/18/12 11:49 a.m.

Skip the forums, just call or e-mail your regional HPDE guy and talk to them.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
9/18/12 12:18 p.m.
troyguitar wrote: I tried to ask on the NASA forums but the moderators disapproved my post for "linking to illegal software" despite my post containing no links whatsoever... no idea what is up with that.

Did you have something in your signature, or did you use emoticons in your message from some other site? I sometimes get warnings about when I click on posts that have those sorts of things in them.

troyguitar
troyguitar New Reader
9/18/12 12:47 p.m.

No signature or emoticons, just a plain text message like the one I posted here. Someone must have hit the wrong button or something.

I put in an email to the regional TT guy after a bunch of Googling did not really answer my question.

I was assuming that this would be a relatively common question for HPDE/TT type events in general but I guess not too many people go from very serious karting to not very serious car racing? It's definitely true that my car will be several seconds a lap slower than my kart no matter what!

wbjones
wbjones UltraDork
9/18/12 6:53 p.m.

like others have said .. contact them directly by phone or e-mail .. your profile doesn't say where you are ... if in the SE then NASA-SE.COM has contact info ... all that said the easiest way is to sign up for a HPDE session with which ever region is closest ... after signing up , ask the question about which group they would like you to start in ... with your back-ground you should maybe sign up for HPDE 2 ... ask before hand for a check ride to 3 ... ( that way it'll be scheduled whether you're ready or not ) your instructor ( yeah I know you probably don't think you need one ... but it's their club ) will concur and you'll move up .. same request for HPDE 4 and from that to TT .... could all be accomplished over one weekend .... depending on the actual crossover of skills

good luck ... welcome to the NASA world

lopracer... you got anything to add ?

troyguitar
troyguitar New Reader
9/18/12 7:53 p.m.

Got everything set up over email with the NE region folks this afternoon, they were very quick and helpful. If anyone will be at Watkins Glen September 28-30, feel free to say hello to the guy in the blue VW GTI - and especially feel free to let me know if you see me doing something stupid!

LopRacer
LopRacer HalfDork
9/18/12 9:06 p.m.

Looks as if you have it firgured out. Good luck and have fun. If I was going to be up NE way I would definately stop by to say HI. If you ever get down SE way you can't miss me. I'll be the goofy guy running around Grid like a headless chicken.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BjpPjMRMHkr9LtU0vbbT8rrBKfwXbKBDPpzBCg4canrpHFFwzsIu423ReJ9j3uYL