1 2 3
Rupert
Rupert HalfDork
1/26/15 11:42 a.m.

If it is actually new I install braided stainless clutch and brakes hoses with synthetic fluid ASAP. Used, what I do depends on condition.

In either case, the garage door opener button is high priority!

chrispy
chrispy HalfDork
1/26/15 12:27 p.m.

For truly new, I panic as I watch the miles add up between the dealership and home. I then program the radio presets and read the manual cover to cover looking for all of the stuff the saleman didn't know.

For used from a dealer, take it on a shakedown run that would have scared any passengers during the test drive. Then clean it and read the owners manual while programming the audio.

The only cars I've bought from individuals have been projects so they get drug home and stared at or sat in while making car noises.

dbgrubbs
dbgrubbs New Reader
1/26/15 12:42 p.m.
secretariata wrote: Remove the dealership's advertising. The deal I negotiated has no terms where they pay me to have their name on my car and potentially cause paint discoloration if left on for years....

Me too. Actually had the dealer remove it for me before leaving much to their dismay.

Rupert
Rupert HalfDork
1/26/15 12:53 p.m.
dbgrubbs wrote:
secretariata wrote: Remove the dealership's advertising. The deal I negotiated has no terms where they pay me to have their name on my car and potentially cause paint discoloration if left on for years....
Me too. Actually had the dealer remove it for me before leaving much to their dismay.

Yes, Done that for years. To them it's all about getting you off the lot. To me it's about getting it all done while I still have leverage!

pirate
pirate Reader
1/26/15 1:55 p.m.

Probably date myself but the first thing I did on new cars with cloth interiors was spray them with 3M Scotch Gard to protect from spills from the kids. Enough Scotch Gard and whatever was spilled would bead up and could be dried without leaving any stains. They actually still sell the stuff and I put some of it on the cloth seat covers of my Kirkey Race Seats in the project car.

fidelity101
fidelity101 SuperDork
1/27/15 3:36 p.m.

Window tint.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/27/15 3:55 p.m.

not a damn thing. The vehicle in question must last a year or more before I even consider spending money on it. If it treats me well, I may think about springing for an oil change. If it's REALLY good to me I might change the oil with something name brand-ish. Maybe...

JFX001
JFX001 UberDork
1/27/15 4:25 p.m.

As I have gotten older, the first thing besides pre-setting the radio stations, is to get the little round convex mirrors to aid with blind spots.

beans
beans Dork
1/28/15 4:34 p.m.

Wipers, fluids, tire. Then start fixing E36 M3 because I can't afford new stuff.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/28/15 5:01 p.m.

First thing I do is see how much aftermarket there is for it. Most of the time I already have a whole list of stuff I want to change before buying the vehicle. The very first thing is usually the exhaust. At least swap the muffler out if a system is not available.

My $1300 XJ Cherokee had a Borla system installed by the PO so I bought a $300 B&M shifter. The stock shift knob threads were broken off and they were sharp. Plus it "needed" it

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
1/28/15 8:37 p.m.

I'll normally be getting a set of aftermarket wheels in short order.The tires that came on the car go on the new wheels and the OE wheels are consigned to snow tire duty.

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
1/28/15 8:47 p.m.

I'm a sucker for shift knobs, so I usually find one with a better weight and feel than whatever it came with. I hate rubbery factory knobs. A shifter should be smooth, metal and heavy.

That, and fart in the seat, like apparently everyone else on this site.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/28/15 11:12 p.m.

I'm disappointed that none of us, myself included, have said a big, fat, smokey, burnout.

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
1/29/15 7:38 a.m.

This thread reminds me I need to buy a GRM sticker for the 4Runner.

Pull off dealer stickers, put on my own stickers, wipers, fluids, etc. It really depends on the car, though. I've bought everything from $400 Miatas to good condition cars from reputable dealerships.

Unfortunately, it seems I'm learning a lot about time/money handoffs these days. My wife and I both have (small) car notes, because it's cheaper than maintenance on the old POS's.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UdhrRcsrSinMql8EJtOgyXXqRO4XpeR0eyY0oBanrpsVBT18rz939YTrmAVzZH6k