Driven5 HalfDork
12/31/14 4:31 p.m.

In reply to oldtin:

THIS!

NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
12/31/14 5:32 p.m.
NOHOME wrote:
914Driver wrote: Too easy, what else ya got?
I have an admission to make that I set you all up. I hear it mentioned often on the car boards I visit that the most despised guy in the hobby is the person who lets a car sit and slowly rot into the ground. And yet, I just had nine people unanimously agree that the non-restored cars are more interesting. And I agree...they have potential, while the finished cars are just done. I have learned that people who won't sell the cars often have a huge emotional investment in them. Good enough for me as long as they let me poke around and imagine what could be.

Actually I did since the point of the thread was to create a case for the hoarders who let stuff rot into the ground.

Driven5 wrote:
NOHOME wrote: Yeah....but recall for purposes of this exercise, the guy is hoarding the cars, not a recycle yard.
You didn't specify that here. That makes it more of a toss up for me, as there are no dreams in that field anymore. Knowing that the owner will ultimately do nothing with any of those cars, and would rather let them return to the earth than let somebody else that would do something meaningful with it have the opportunity to do so, makes for a very bittersweet experience. Unable to be saved, nor even helping to save others. With every step I would praise him for gathering them, and in the same breath curse him for ensuring their doom. Meanwhile I would find nothing particularly un-enjoyable about #2 and do get a kick out of spotting some the unique engineering and craftsmanship that goes into a handful of the better executed finished products. I don't even mind 'checkbook' cars, and to a lesser degress 'catalog' cars, as somebody still had to engineer it and make it happen...And I have an inherent appreciation for that. I'd probably still pick #1 though, if for no other reason than I will always be able to see the cars in #2 again...The same does not hold true for #1.
Driven5
Driven5 HalfDork
12/31/14 5:53 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME:

So by knowing your audience and intentionally omitting key details, you ensured that enough people would provide the answer you wanted, that would allow you to make a "point" which is logically invalidated by the methods used, as a means of attempting to influence their opinions...You would do well to seek a career in partisan political polling.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
12/31/14 7:09 p.m.

Top. See my signature.

I assumed the top was a junk yard. If it was a hoarder I'd still pick the top-to talk him into selling me at least one.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
12/31/14 7:12 p.m.

Oh it's not a bone yard... Hmm, well I guess I'd still rather go see the car show. But that was my avenue into the hobby, hitting all the local shows with dad.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
12/31/14 9:44 p.m.

I would go to the car show because I didn't go to numerous car shows growing up like some of you guys.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
12/31/14 10:14 p.m.

Car shows bore me after a short while. I can't touch the cars and learn their stories, poke at them, peer in the glove boxes, things like that. Sure its neat to see a really nice restored impala as an example, but I've seen enough clean trip fives. Lemme see the bent one with dirt track numbers on the side rotting in the back of a junkyard. That's the cool one.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YeIM4duFGSNcLnyzPIQYDfD25e5tXplzLmc1FOLLFhJvSkShuYSXGKVvhkgh2hIU