1 2
NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
6/27/09 6:36 a.m.

I find most postal workers to be pretty efficient at what they do.

Perhaps you have a neighbor who is in the middle of a car project?

pete240z
pete240z Dork
6/27/09 7:32 a.m.

talking up postal workers now?

my dad has his guy for 20+ years and he looks out for my dad and asks when he is missing.......

my guy is so kind and pleasant to deal with........except headband substitute guy is kinda strokey.

the local workers at the post office in my town are nice and help me with LOTS of ebay parts I shipped.....except young chick with power attitude.

Cooper
Cooper New Reader
6/27/09 7:59 a.m.

Got my Aug. issue more than a week ago, and I'm in another Country! Had problems once, and as all have noted...GRM rocks...but we're preaching to the choir here about how great they are.

Post master/mistress would be my first stop. But be nice...at first!

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Reader
6/27/09 10:33 a.m.
zoomx2 wrote: Not to hijack here, but is it better for the publishers to subscribe or to buy at the news stand? I've been an 8 or 9 year reader but have never subscribed. Mainly because my local book shop started getting the mag because I asked and I like supporting local business. I've always wondered though if the mags get less dough due to shops, dist, shipping all taking a cut. BTW when buying from my local shop, I've never had a missing or mangled issue.

It's better for GRM if you subscribe. Advertising rates are based on subscription numbers since newsstand sales can vary widely depending on what's on the cover. The more bona fide subscribers GRM has, the higher the ad rates. Newsstand sales are the gravy.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
6/27/09 1:41 p.m.

Couple clarifications here:

1) We don't mail bulk, but Periodicals class--best you can do as a publisher, and supposed to be delivered at the same speed as 1st class.

2) Most problems with USPS delivery occur higher up in the stream than with your carrier. Chief culprits: Mechanized sorting machines--as noted, the USPS is aware these have a pretty good rate of destroying materials, even when they're perfect-bound (as we are); and large central mail sorting facilities, such as those that serve major metropolitan areas, which can become overwhelmed--at which mail starts spending WAY too much time laying around there in bins, instead of speeding on its way to you. Put a couple of those in the delivery stream and it can take a really long time to get your magazines.

We do drop-ship our magazines (truck them around the country and then put them in the mail close to their final destinations) to try to alleviate some of the USPS's issues. If you have a delivery problem that is consistent, file a complaint with your local postmaster and ask them to issue a postal watch on your mail. This always comes back "no problem found," but mysteriously the problems also clear up after that.

As for NASA members, always let us know that's why you receive the magazine--helps us troubleshoot. Common problems are membership expirations and address changes (those have to be done through NASA), and occasionally a member drops off during the process of importing them to our sub program due to some vagary of computer logic.

Whatever the problem and whomever's at fault, we'll always replace your missing magazines if you call or email. We want to keep you reading!

Margie

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
6/27/09 3:52 p.m.

And that ^ is why you are awesome!

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury HalfDork
6/28/09 7:38 a.m.
maroon92 wrote: And that ^ is why you are awesome!

+15642315

cvedral
cvedral New Reader
6/28/09 9:59 a.m.

Well said Margie. Stop by the Daytona P.O I maintain those machines I'll give you a tour.

Marjorie Suddard
6/28/09 2:27 p.m.
cvedral wrote: Well said Margie. Stop by the Daytona P.O I maintain those machines I'll give you a tour.

Really?? I'd love that!

Margie

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/10/09 8:36 a.m.

Sill no August issue. Now a month +/- after mailing

So how good is it?

TJ
TJ Reader
7/10/09 8:39 a.m.

Same here.

Marjorie Suddard
7/10/09 10:53 a.m.

Drop us an email with your info and we'll try to figure out what's going on, get you replacements.

Margie

HeavyDuty
HeavyDuty New Reader
7/10/09 4:22 p.m.

At one of my old places the mail man would ask for some car related catalogs when I was done with them. I was happy to pass them on. When ever I ordered a part that came via the mail and wasn't home, he'd make sure not to just toss it on the front porch and would walk it around the back just to make sure it was a little safer.

One of my jobs back when I was in school was to secret shop about 14 of the Post Offices around the 'burgh. Since most of the other people I worked with were house wives and I was the only guy that worked there, I got the areas that were less than desirable. There was only 1 or 2 post offices that were a problem and most of that was just not enough people working leading to long lines. I was at each of those 14 once every week for a bout 6 months.

dean1484
7/12/09 12:40 p.m.
Marjorie Suddard wrote: Drop us an email with your info and we'll try to figure out what's going on, get you replacements. Margie

Margie,

Many thanks!!!! And again when I called your offices the girl I spoke to was top shelf. I actually had to change my address as well due to the purchase of a new home.

I just dont think you should pick up the tab for this when it is obviously not your fault. GRM has already sent me a total of 6 extra issues. Two due to them going missing as noted in previous post and the other four were when I re upped a subscription. For some reason I started getting two issues a month. Believe it or not this actually took more to correct as I think you were in the process of changing over to a different mailing system or something. So I kind of feel a bit guilty for getting another issue. How about you take it off the back end of my current subscription?

I already left a voicemail with Mr. Wallens about a week ago. I will get off an email to you when I get to my other computer. This one does not have my email on it.

Many thanks!!!

porksboy
porksboy Dork
7/13/09 8:16 a.m.

Is GRM available on Kindle? That would cut USPS right out of this equasion and considering I am still waiting for MY August issue I am ready to tell USPS to pound sand. Gotta go call the home office.

Marjorie Suddard
7/13/09 10:41 a.m.
dean1484 wrote:
Marjorie Suddard wrote: Drop us an email with your info and we'll try to figure out what's going on, get you replacements. Margie
Margie, Many thanks!!!! And again when I called your offices the girl I spoke to was top shelf. I actually had to change my address as well due to the purchase of a new home. I just dont think you should pick up the tab for this when it is obviously not your fault. GRM has already sent me a total of 6 extra issues. Two due to them going missing as noted in previous post and the other four were when I re upped a subscription. For some reason I started getting two issues a month. Believe it or not this actually took more to correct as I think you were in the process of changing over to a different mailing system or something. So I kind of feel a bit guilty for getting another issue. How about you take it off the back end of my current subscription? I already left a voicemail with Mr. Wallens about a week ago. I will get off an email to you when I get to my other computer. This one does not have my email on it. Many thanks!!!

Hey, it's one of the costs of doing business, and it's not YOUR fault, either. Don't worry about it.

And if you spoke with a girl last week, that was mine and Tim's daughter, Katie! She's interning this summer (gotta start 'em early, you know). Glad we got it worked out.

Margie

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/13/09 11:28 a.m.
Marjorie Suddard wrote: And if you spoke with a girl last week, that was mine and Tim's daughter, Katie! She's interning this summer (gotta start 'em early, you know). Glad we got it worked out. Margie

Ahhh, the first job working for mom and dad. I remember interning in jr high delivering soda. I wish my dad had a magazine. It did teach me some important lessons though like lift with the knees, not the back.

dean1484
7/16/09 8:34 a.m.
Marjorie Suddard wrote: And if you spoke with a girl last week, that was mine and Tim's daughter, Katie! She's interning this summer (gotta start 'em early, you know). Glad we got it worked out. Margie

You have a winner there!!! As noted above she was top shelf!!! She sounded / acted like a seasoned professional!!!

Dean

dean1484
8/8/09 9:37 a.m.

You know guys this would be funny BUT it is MY GRM mag that is missing. Multiple attempts by the GRM staff to send them to me and no luck. Nothing has arrived at either of my addresses. Not the original ones not the two other ones that were sent out. I here that the latest issue (October??) is in the mail now.

Is there anyone out there that could send me their August issue when there next issue arrives? I will pay shipping! I will even return it to you. No really I will!!

I am not kidding about this as I would like to see if some one else can actually get a GRM to me.

This is not funny already... . .. ok it is funny.... . I am laughing already but I still dont have a GRM. Can some one tell me where to purchase one locally in the metro Boston MA area?

Dean

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
8/8/09 10:20 a.m.

In reply to dean1484:

Both Barnes and Nobles, and Borders usually have it on the shelf.

dean1484
8/8/09 3:07 p.m.

Thanks!!!!

mistanfo wrote: In reply to dean1484: Both Barnes and Nobles, and Borders usually have it on the shelf.
maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
8/8/09 3:35 p.m.

never had luck at borders...B&N always has an issue though.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RHupyiAklvUJFSQSDvDAf5ZMsU3zTAhWLiEpTOCQxphxCMtsOtC6FQNYEpQJVIUr