1 2
93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
5/10/12 9:11 p.m.

So a while ago I started on drawing up an art deco inspired car on one on Solidedge (like a Talbot-Lago T150 or Delahaye roadster) and I want to get back to it and continue work on it. I like to dabble in art and the art deco has always been a favorite style of mine. Also having been in FSAE I am missing working on designing a vehicle. But I kinda hit a snag when I started on the design because I didn't know which engine to use. To me the engine to use (if money was no object) would be a Bugatti straight 8.

But money is an object so what engine will sound amazing and also not look out of place in the car with out costing lots of money. Power and economy are secondary concerns.

fritzsch
fritzsch Reader
5/10/12 9:19 p.m.

without knowing anything about it, packard straight eight?

I thought this was cool, change the exhaust though

ScottRA21
ScottRA21 Reader
5/10/12 9:20 p.m.

Packard straight 8?

Augh, ninja'd!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9F5t7JLbY0 But I bring sounds!

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UberDork
5/10/12 9:21 p.m.

I'd go with a Jaguar 6. They're fairly easy to find for not much money, and they're pretty.

fritzsch
fritzsch Reader
5/10/12 9:24 p.m.

In reply to ScottRA21:

Haha we were both thinking of the same car

Aeromoto
Aeromoto Reader
5/10/12 9:36 p.m.

Jag 6 cyl. Or, a Ranger 440 if you own a machine shop.

fritzsch
fritzsch Reader
5/10/12 9:37 p.m.

Jaguar v12

Graefin10
Graefin10 Dork
5/10/12 10:10 p.m.
ScottRA21 wrote: Packard straight 8? Augh, ninja'd! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9F5t7JLbY0 But I bring sounds!

I love that car. I bought the magazine they did and article on it in just to read about it. I've worked on a couple of Packard straight eights and the only problem is they are very heavy. Don't know the exact wt. but I think the engine and trans. was well over 1000lbs. I agree with stuart in mn go with the Jag. 6cyl. It's heavy too but that exposed twin cam looks really good.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
5/10/12 10:19 p.m.
fritzsch wrote: without knowing anything about it, packard straight eight? I thought this was cool, change the exhaust though

I like lake headers

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
5/10/12 10:20 p.m.

Bimmer 6

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
5/10/12 10:34 p.m.
fritzsch wrote: Jaguar v12

This.

Things like that need 6 exhaust tubes sticking out of both sides.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
5/10/12 10:38 p.m.

zoomies?

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro SuperDork
5/10/12 10:39 p.m.

Buick straight 8. Because I have one that's available..

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Reader
5/10/12 10:43 p.m.

A few folks have beat me to it, but I think the Jaguar 4.2L straight six is one of the best looking engines for something like this. Totally fits the art-deco style. Plus you can get one from an XJ6 in pretty much any junkyard for very reasonable prices.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
5/10/12 10:47 p.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: Buick straight 8. Because I have one that's available..

you MUST use it to make a replica of this http://www.milleroffy.com/Engine%2091%20FD%20sale.htm

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro SuperDork
5/10/12 11:56 p.m.

I've been collecting parts to build a speedster for along time.

The eight is NOT in the plans.

A big, nasty pre-war six is though.

Shawn

JFX001
JFX001 UltraDork
5/11/12 12:08 a.m.

I'd opt for the Jag drive train as well. Bonus for the IRS and wire wheels.

jere
jere New Reader
5/11/12 1:42 a.m.

I vote V12 Jag too

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Reader
5/11/12 2:27 a.m.

Jaguar or BMW I-6

ScottRA21
ScottRA21 Reader
5/11/12 5:48 a.m.

Hmmm..

Just had an interesting thought: Toyota 5M-GE.

Take away all the vacuum shenanigans, and fab up some smooth cam covers and a different intake (maybe hidden fuel rail ITBs or DCOE carbs..?) and it could pass for an acceptably "old" engine.

Could be an interesting twist.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
5/11/12 7:03 a.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: I've been collecting parts to build a speedster for along time. The eight is NOT in the plans. A big, nasty pre-war six is though. Shawn

I love this plan. You need to give us an extensive build thread with many pics to drool over.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker UltimaDork
5/11/12 7:30 a.m.

Polish the cover, intake horns, add some shiney trim. Bask in the sound it makes.

Ian F
Ian F UberDork
5/11/12 7:42 a.m.

I agree about the Jag I-6. The BMW engine looks nice, but just looks too modern for the design plan. A bonus is you should be able to find a complete and running XJ6 for pretty cheap and sell of the bits you don't need to recoup costs. To complete the art-deco style, you'd definitely want to convert it to SU's or Z-S's although a triple TB EFI set-up using the carb bodies might also work. Additionally, adapters to fit a T-5 to the Jag engine are available, although for such a car an automatic wouldn't be out of place.

Whatever you chose, it sounds like it would be a fun project.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/11/12 7:45 a.m.
Appleseed wrote:
fritzsch wrote: Jaguar v12
This. Things like that need 6 exhaust tubes sticking out of both sides.

Jag V12 would look best for this reason, although it's not the cheapest and certainly not the most reliable option...

Ian F
Ian F UberDork
5/11/12 7:50 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Jag V12 would look best for this reason, although it's not the cheapest and certainly not the most reliable option...

mguar replies in 3... 2.. 1...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FnwDEXq9JY5xO8DiAkFyvWRkxsrVJA5zkZh4XIKQYcHUx1hWVJNhbOD3ExH149od