1 2 3
AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve Reader
10/24/22 10:01 a.m.

With the USD so strong against other currencies right now, I've been contemplating importing another car from Japan. I've imported two cars so far, first a Honda Beat and then an Acty truck for my parents, but it's been a few years and I'm thinking it might be time to fire up the Japanese auction search engines again. I import cars using the informal entry process, which vastly reduces the necessary paperwork and removes the legal requirement to hire a broker, which allows me to do all the importation paperwork myself. The only catch is that an informal entry item must have a value of less than $2,500. While that sounds very low, there are actually a lot of very interesting cars that you can snag at the Japanese wholesale auctions for this price. They just aren't fast. The Grand Turismo generation ensures that anything with performance cred gets bid way too high for my preferred importation method. But there are a lot of interesting cars out there that aren't particularly fast. I've had my eye on the Nissan Pao for years, and they very often fall under the limit. They're adorable, can go highway speeds, and have loads of fun design features. It's currently at the top of my list, along with maybe a hot kei hatchback or something. Are there any slow-ish imports that you would like to own?

Pics of the two cars I imported because every thread is better with pics

j_tso
j_tso HalfDork
10/24/22 10:30 a.m.

Lot of interesting choices out of Japan, but not sure I'd want to deal with RHD.

Maybe a weird French car.

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP HalfDork
10/24/22 10:35 a.m.

This?

Granted, this is probably fringe lines of 'not sports car' but being listed in Nissan's under 'part removing car' may keep it cheap.

or something like this

or maybe this?

'Part removing car' section is a gold mine for GRMers since it has the more beat up cars that need work or just dont pass shaken which *probably* doesn't bother someone importing the car.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE SuperDork
10/24/22 11:12 a.m.
j_tso said:

Lot of interesting choices out of Japan, but not sure I'd want to deal with RHD.

Maybe a weird French car.

2CVs are cool...

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
10/24/22 11:22 a.m.

late model Scirocco ,, because reasons

Powar
Powar UltraDork
10/24/22 11:25 a.m.

I want to import a 16-valve Saab C900 5-door. '85-93. Preferably a turbo/manual, but I'd be fine with whatever drivetrain since I have a few laying around. The five door was only imported to the US in '79 and '80, and most of them died years ago of terminal rust, dead transmissions, or uninterested mechanics. 

I'd also like a BG Mazda Familia (aka Protege) Infini. A 323F/Astina would also suffice, and would probably be easier to source.

I can't imagine that either would be expensive to source in the markets in which they were sold. We just didn't get them/enough of them here.

AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve Reader
10/24/22 11:40 a.m.

In reply to DjGreggieP :

Funny you should mention that, I just found this Alfa that appears to have sold under the $2500 limit:

I always take reported auction closing numbers with a grain of salt. It could be that it was either recorded incorrectly or negotiated higher, or that the car has a major mechanical flaw - I can't read the inspector's notes, that's my brother's job haha. But it looks like 155s are possibly within reach. From the parts of the inspection sheet that I can decipher, this one has some long scratches, dents, and other defects, and the interior is D-grade: fair-to-poor condition.

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/24/22 11:47 a.m.

70s minitruck?

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/24/22 11:56 a.m.

A Jimny or something French.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
10/24/22 12:39 p.m.

There are a lot of luxury Toyota vans , larger than an Astro Van and not as large as a full size Chevy express vans,

Also Toyota pickup trucks with fold down sides.......

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
10/24/22 12:55 p.m.

I'm not sure I could fit in the smaller Japanese cars. So for plenty of interior room, I might look to Mexico for a Dodge Ramcharger. Or what do original Minis go for these days?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
10/24/22 1:46 p.m.

Citroën DS.

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/24/22 1:47 p.m.

In reply to AMiataCalledSteve :

Could you import from Canada?

Erich
Erich UberDork
10/24/22 2:18 p.m.

I'm with a few others above, something French, probably a 2CV at this point. 

From Japan I'd probably be looking at a Pao, Beat, and maybe the Figaro although I'd bet they go for more than $2500. 

Can you talk through your process? How you purchase them, and how you get through customs with the informal entry process? This is the first I've heard of that and it sounds right up my alley for what I'd be looking for. 

AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve Reader
10/24/22 2:21 p.m.

In reply to Rons :

I probably could, but I bet shipping from Canada would cost almost as much as shippping from Japan, and I already know the system for exporting and registering a Japanese export in the states right off the boat. If I buy a car in North America I'm basically paying someone to be the middle man when I could skip all that and go right to the source :)

Erich
Erich UberDork
10/24/22 2:39 p.m.

Wow, just looking through the auctions is interesting. Lots of oddball low-production cars, like this 1996 Toyota Classic, for those who thought the PT Cruiser was not retro enough

edit: nice looking LHD Mini

BMW m635CSi

Really nice looking Pao

This old Crown is really cool

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/24/22 3:18 p.m.

Easy. V12 Century. Done and Done. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
10/24/22 3:20 p.m.

In reply to bmw88rider :

Yup.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/24/22 3:29 p.m.

The only thing I'd really want would be a Moke, but I doubt that would happen from Japan or for under $2500. 

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/24/22 3:31 p.m.

Some old racing game I had allowed you to choose these:

Whatever they are. I guess I'd pick that for nostalgia. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
10/24/22 4:01 p.m.

I was in Taiwan in 1992-1993.  They had the same kei size vans and trucks as Japan, except they were left hand drive.  One popular model was the Ford Pronto, which was a rebadged Suzuki Carry.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/24/22 4:08 p.m.

Stagea.

Because GTR potential.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/24/22 5:46 p.m.

Define "high performance".

Is an Alto Works or other turbo screamer Kei car high performance?  They are limited to 65hp.

Is a JC Mazda Cosmo high performance?  It is a luxury car.  I want a 13B version, not the rare 20B.

Is a Euro spec E36 M3 high performance?  

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/24/22 5:51 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

If you can tell the difference in driving dynamics of a minivan,  a pickup truck, and a Porsche GT3, I think you have a pretty good idea where the line is. laugh

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/24/22 5:53 p.m.

Toyota Sera. Not sporty, but, dayam, them doors!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OS5GQWXTXOf4rfj9qIT6vlZ8UepV9N1tOEscw4MHGXNa3NZwTkISFrCQos1qNmUb