1 2 3
Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
5/21/21 8:09 a.m.

Just got the renewal notice (for December?) for GRM, and realized I'm down to just this, R&T, and the Sportscar magazine from SCCA.  I have a 30min lunch break and like to read magazines while I eat.

But R&T recently changed their format, the print magazine is like quarterly or something?  It's huge, but I'd like to get more than one per season.  My uncle had something, Autoweek I think, he got tired of and changed the address to me.  I didn't like it enough to pay $$ so I let it expire.

What are you guys still reading in a paper format?

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/21/21 8:46 a.m.

Cycle World also went quarterly with a glossy coffee table looking monster, with less entertainment.  

Once in a while I pick up Panorama, a Porsche magazine.  Not much there I can afford or relate to buts interesting.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/21/21 8:48 a.m.

Old, out of print magazines. Seriously.  Rod &Custom, Sport Compact Car, mini-Trunckin. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/21/21 8:52 a.m.

I used to get Car Craft and Hot Rod.  Way back I used to also get Popular Hot Rodding.

Now I get nothin.  All online.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
5/21/21 8:55 a.m.
914Driver said:

Cycle World also went quarterly with a glossy coffee table looking monster, with less entertainment.  

As of the first of the year Cycle World went to online only.

I hadn't heard that R&T had gone to quarterly...unfortunately that seems to be the progression to disappearing altogether these days.  Since the great TEN Group purge a while back, there aren't many car enthusiast print magazines left.  I still subscribe to Hot Rod, although it's getting thinner and thinner each month.  I also subscribe to Motorcycle Classics magazine, it's very good.  I really like Rodder's Journal but I'm afraid they may be circling the drain.

edited to add:  Wow, that's a big change for R&T.  

Over the last year Road & Track magazine has moved upmarket. It has replaced its monthly printed magazine with a bi-monthly with around 150 pages. In addition, the magazine is offering access to events, services and trinkets for higher-paying members. 

A base subscription goes for $75 per year. A mid-level “club” membership runs $475. A top-end “Founders” club goes for a whopping $975 per year (R&T, 2020).

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
5/21/21 8:59 a.m.

I am down to just GRM.  I used to get Car Craft but that's gone and really for the last couple of years the content wasn't resonating with me that much.

I subscribe to some other, non-automotive publications which are online only.... and I find I rarely read their articles.  I don't know if it's because I'm stuck at a computer to do it (phone is too small, gets old) or what.  I just got a 7" e-reader and maybe can find a way to load issues of online content or some such thing to get that stuff onto the reader.  Seems like in the world of wifi and RSS feeds etc this stuff should be easily automated to 'just be there' when I pick up the device but I've no idea how to make that all happen.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/21/21 9:10 a.m.

As print publications, I get GRM, CM, the various SCCA pamphlets and Panorama, plus RoadRunner (motorcycle touring magazine). Oh, and the Hagerty mag.

I also have a few app-based subscriptions to some UK rags (Evo, Practical Performance Car, Auto Italia and Classic Porsche), plus a couple of UK bike mags. I used to have more subs to UK mags but several of them folded in the last couple of years.

I used to subscribe to Cycle World and R&T (mainly for Sam Smith's stuff which I now get from Hagerty), plus Motorcyclist. I think my R&T sub expired and the other two went online only. Same with Car Craft, that also disappeared.

rustomatic
rustomatic Reader
5/21/21 9:18 a.m.

I subscribed to Hot Rod because I felt sorry for it.  The editing is terrible, and sometimes the articles about cars are clearly subbed out to people who literally have no idea what they are writing about.  The thing is nearly dead, thin and wasting away . . .

I do miss my love for magazine reading, though; it started in third grade with BMX Action, BMX Plus, and various 4-Wheelin' and tractor pull mags, then moved on to Car Craft, Car and Driver, Bike, and Esquire.  It all kind of became a re-run.  The internet . . .

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/21/21 9:18 a.m.

There are other car mags?!??

Years ago I used to subscribe to Sports& Exotics which I really liked but now they are gone

j_tso
j_tso Reader
5/21/21 9:37 a.m.

other than GRM, some British magazines:

I'll pick up Octane at the newstand a couple times a year. I had a subscription once but it seems like they feature the same cars on a rotation every 2 years. Although they mainly write about European cars, once in a while they'll have a unique feature like the oldest Toyota found or DKWs in Brazil.

Racecar Engineering - it's pricey but if it's picked up during a subscription sale it comes out to half price. 

Motorsport - very focused on F1 but they'll have features on other series, I like their "Lunch with..." monthly interviews.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
5/21/21 9:43 a.m.

Honestly, I don't read any car mags (including GRM).  I do need to subscribe to GRM just to support the community.  I like some of their video content as well.

Most of the time I am only interested in something that is new/unique from a tech perspective (EV F150 is fascinating), or actual attainable cars.  Veloster N, BRZ, Miata stuff is interesting.  Other magazines are rarely focused on this stuff, but C&D and Motortrend often have the occasional in depth article that I find intriguing.  None of them do this frequently enough that I would subscribe.

Racecar engineering is fascinating, but as mentioned above, $$$.

parker
parker Reader
5/21/21 9:48 a.m.

Classic Motorsports, the Hagerty magazine, Excellence and Overland Journal.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
5/21/21 9:52 a.m.

GRM  is my only one, but only because of "buy a subscription, get a T-shirt" deals offered here on the forum because more than 1/2 of the issues don't show up anymore since they started saving .003 cents on the glue that holds the address label. The ones I do receive the label has obviously been stuck back on by a postal employee or is barely holding on. If it wasn't for the T-shirt I wouldn't bother subscribing because so few issues per year arrive. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 SuperDork
5/21/21 10:11 a.m.

I read a lot of magazines, my list:

GRM - I only subscribed because I got a package deal but I've found I do like it.

CM - they manage to find interesting projects I like.

Sportscar - it comes with my SCCA membership but it still has good articles (Phil Royale & company have done a good job).

Classic & Sportscar - I 've read this one for close to 30 years, they get access to some really phenominal cars.

Classic Motorcycle Mechanics - this is my guilty pleasure, it's not a literary masterpiece but they have 70-90s Japanese bikes I love.

MotorSport -  it is absolutely the gold standard, there's a reason it's been around since 1924, phenomenal writers and interviews. 

I like the print versions; I spend way to much time on a computer and at the end of the day I don't want to look at a screen. I also pass the magazines on by putting them in our break room.

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
5/21/21 11:30 a.m.

GRM and CM, of course

Hagerty

Old Cars Weekly (now biweekly)

Hemmings Classic car (kept it after Sports and Exotic folded into Classic Cars - I like the classics, too, so it's OK)

R&T until my subscription runs out, then terminating.  Articles are kind of OK, hate the new format and graphics.

Race Car Engineering (secondhand from a friend)

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
5/21/21 11:44 a.m.

Hot Rod out of 54 years of habit, GRM (34 years) and Classic Motorsports, Octane, EVO, Classic&Sports Car, Thoroughbred&Classic Cars, Vintage Motorsports, Racer, Motor Trend, R&T, and a few other occasional purchases of Porsche publications or Practical Classics.

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
5/21/21 11:51 a.m.

Was a long time subscriber to Rod and Truck and Carp and Drivel (still have a bunch of old Sports Cars Illustrated back when it was called that) plus a couple of British sports car and vintage mags I have since allowed to lapse.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/21/21 11:54 a.m.

I read pretty much all of every GRM and am in the middle of my second 10-year subscription.

I skim through SportsCar because it comes with my SCCA membership.

Other than that I occasionally skim an article or two in other car magazines if I happen to run across one at the doctor or dentist.  But not even that, most times.

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
5/21/21 11:55 a.m.

Just GRM these days. It’s the only magazine that doesn’t highlight pure fantasy cars.

I do read C&D online, and sometimes R&T, just to keep up on what new cars come out.

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
5/21/21 11:55 a.m.
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:

There are other car mags?!??

Years ago I used to subscribe to Sports& Exotics which I really liked but now they are gone

Ha!  Same comments exactly!

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/21/21 12:02 p.m.

I get GRM only.  I save up the issues and take them with me to the lake house every year. I then read them all their.  I leave them there for other people to enjoy.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/21/21 2:14 p.m.

Hagerty is really on a roll - Larry Webster grabbed as many good writers as he could from R&T when he left. And, hey, Sam Smith is one of them which makes it worth reading right there.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/21/21 2:24 p.m.

Like most here, I was brought up on C&D, R&T, Hot Rod and a smattering of other mags. Now it's just GRM which they'll have to pry out of my cold, grease-stained hands.

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
5/21/21 2:29 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I was wondering where Smith went. 

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
5/21/21 2:32 p.m.
NOT A TA said:

GRM  is my only one, but only because of "buy a subscription, get a T-shirt" deals offered here on the forum because more than 1/2 of the issues don't show up anymore since they started saving .003 cents on the glue that holds the address label. The ones I do receive the label has obviously been stuck back on by a postal employee or is barely holding on. If it wasn't for the T-shirt I wouldn't bother subscribing because so few issues per year arrive. 

Oh nooooo! I don't know who's saving on cheaped -out labels, but it sure isn't us. I will have a chat with the printer and see wtf. Thanks for the heads-up.

Margie

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RzCrkRz7o03NIZl69GaIKITjn5OEpcy1MtvQDIhs2ctb6WeiqeY4T0YckTX2nUtq