Baylis
Baylis New Reader
4/10/13 9:59 a.m.

I am looking at buying this block. The owner says the are TRW forged .020 over, but I can't find them for a 302. So if you can help me find out, that'd be great. Also, it has ARP rod bolts.

"Cylinders have no ridge and still have cross hatch markes

Also comes with all the lifters ,lifter hold downs, spider and bolts,and come with all cam bolts and cam retainer and oil pump bolts "

No cam, no oil pan, so on. $400 isn't a horrible price, considering I need to do new pistons to my 302 (86.. flat top :( darn clearance problems) and for $50 a cylinder I wouldn't be able to pay someone to do the work and buy forged pistons.

Thanks for the help!

Baylis
Baylis New Reader
4/10/13 10:01 a.m.

They look like twisted wedge pistons to me, I sent an e-mail to the owner asking for a part number or something.

Gasoline
Gasoline Dork
4/10/13 11:59 a.m.

They look like TRW's with the part number stamped on the top of the piston in the picture.

Baylis
Baylis New Reader
4/10/13 2:11 p.m.

I tried to run that number, looks like L24, but found nothing. Maybe it's LZ4, still nothing. Not that it's a big deal. I asked the owner, he just replied "Forged TRW pistons"... yea, got that much. Doesn't make a huge difference, would just like to know the details if it were possible.

Gasoline
Gasoline Dork
4/10/13 2:57 p.m.
Baylis
Baylis New Reader
4/10/13 3:09 p.m.

Yea, I saw that ad. What exactly makes a twisted wedge piston a twisted wedge piston? I know they are designed to be used with twisted wedge heads, but I'm sure they would work fine with standard aftermarket heads

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
4/10/13 4:29 p.m.

In reply to Baylis:

The valve reliefs are rotated to align with the valves in a TW head. Yours look like they might have the reliefs for both standard and TW heads on opposite sides, but you should check the specs on the part number to know for sure. They will have lower CR than a 2 relief piston.

Baylis
Baylis New Reader
4/10/13 5:03 p.m.

Does TRW have a website? Finding a catalog isn't working

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/10/13 8:51 p.m.

Yeah... here they are: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/trw-l2482f20

Federal Mogul bought Speed-Pro and its affiliated TRW line of pistons. They also have Sealed-power and SPD, Champion, Moog, Carter, National, Fel-Pro, Wagner, and Anco.

http://aftermarket.federalmogul.com/en-US/Brands/Speed-Pro/Pages/home.aspx#.UWYWvsrGDk0

erohslc
erohslc HalfDork
4/10/13 9:36 p.m.

Wow, maybe it's just the photo, but it looks like someone abused that deck with a wire brush to remove rust.
That surface DOES NOT look flat to me, notice how the edges around openings appear rounded?
I'd use a straightedge and a flashlight or laser pointer (maybe a feeler gage set ;) to make sure it's really flat.
Not saying it couldn't be decked flat, but if you intend to use that block, be sure the cost of machine work is rolled into your offer.

Baylis
Baylis New Reader
4/10/13 11:10 p.m.

Yea, I've been looking at that. I haven't had a chance to drive down to tampa to look at it, definitely going to check it out. If it needs to be decked I'm going to pass, it's not such an amazing price I can't live without it. But then again, it may be the picture as well.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/11/13 10:22 a.m.

It looks like someone ran a power scuff pad across that engine. Including the tops of the pistons.

sobe_death
sobe_death HalfDork
4/11/13 11:43 a.m.

What happened to the center of those pistons?

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
4/11/13 1:17 p.m.

That center mark is where they were aligned in a lathe to do the final machining. Usually the mark is a lot smaller, though. On some pistons, they'll machine the sides of the forged blank then machine the head and that removes the centering mark.

Baylis
Baylis New Reader
4/11/13 1:56 p.m.

In reply to noddaz:

Yea, I've been looking at at that. It looks like it's going to be a long shot when I go to look at it, hoping it looks better in real life than it does in the pictures.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
g6zK5NhI3EOM460MlrabCH9LmfrkTWYy3Z7sNVwPxoulW4uEhSnAb5rVcCnOqZm4