tr8todd
tr8todd HalfDork
8/18/14 5:36 a.m.

Is the 3 qt sized accusump overkill for a 2.0L 4 cyl race engine, or is the added weight just a bigger insurance policy?

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
8/18/14 8:10 a.m.

What size fits in the car? Bigger is better, giving a longer time without oil pressure from the pump. 1 quart size is better than 0 quart size. Engine size doesn't really matter.

jimbbski
jimbbski HalfDork
8/18/14 9:39 a.m.

Weight is only a factor if the car is overweight as is. But you can locate the tank in the back of the car so it helps weight balance even if the car is then overweight. I have a 3 qt. placed behind the pass. seat, really it's where the rear seat would be but as far forward as possible. The oil line is longer to it then if you placed it in the engine compartment but since the line is filled with oil there is no delay in the unit providing oil and the line holds a of bit extra oil since it is so long. Plus I can reach over and close/open the ball valve by hand.

The lines are all racing/aircraft quality SS braided lines so I'm not worried about any failures, plus this oil is at ambient temp. as it just sits in the lines and tank until needed.

wspohn
wspohn HalfDork
8/18/14 10:26 a.m.

I have 7 litre V8s that have the same oil capacity as my 4 cylinder motors. The 3 quart size was the original Accusump and is still the most popular. The added weight is insignificant.

I've run them up under the dash, or behind the front wheel in the front fender space behind the splash panel, pretty much anywhere.

I always use the electric version with a separate switch so it isn't triggered unless I arm it, otherwise you'll end up with 3 extra quarts of oil in the pan every time you go to check electrical items and turn on the ignition. You can trigger it to prelube just before starting the engine.

I've also used the Canton turbo saver oil reservoir that feeds pressurized oil through the turbo bearing after shut off to prevent ash forming in the bearing - great product (not as necessary if you run synthetic, but....)

I'd run the 3 qt. size on your 2 litre motor!

CantonRacingProducts
CantonRacingProducts New Reader
8/18/14 11:13 a.m.

We usually recommend using the largest Accusump you can fit. The amount of oil really only affects the amount of oiling that the Accusump will be able to give you. Depending on the oil pressure of your motor a 2qt will give you between 30 to 45 seconds of oiling a 3qt will give you around 60 seconds of oiling at full flow. Sometimes your pressure may drop only a little and the Accusump will supplement that without having to go full flow so you will have more time there. Usually full flow means you've had a catastrophic failure (IE cracked oil pan, cut oil line, destroyed pick or oil pump). What we usually do is recommend wiring a light into the electric valve to go on as the valve is open so that the driver is aware and if it stays on for a long time or in a situation that they should not be losing oil pressure they can shut the motor off before any real damage occurs. We have seen that scenario play out a few times.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
8/18/14 12:17 p.m.

I was thinking about how to wire that up, CRP. I thought the electric valve was an on/off thing. How does it sense flow?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lck9jIAgV7h5kMvCgWKAzoh3ihKQcfToxcnKOKILuom3qJbxSJOE2Ff9cs3TqgUd