1 2 3
93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
3/30/15 9:20 a.m.

I want to replace my Si with a sports car that will be around the same cost so say $4000-$5000. It will be a daily driver.

Miata- I don't fit in them very comfortably. I have only driven a 1.6 but that motor was very uninspiring (not talking about power, it just didn't feel very peppy or rev happy). Probably the most reliable and easy choice.

Toyota MR2- Might be a little long in the tooth at this point. Finding a good one is difficult. Not sure about how difficult it is too work on with mid engine layout.

Toyota MRS- not an option. Just too small.

BMW Z3- Fits me like a glove. Haven't driven one yet. I imagine it would be the most expensive to maintain. The engine bay looks very tight with the six so I am not sure how difficult it is to maintain.

I am leaning towards the Z3 in all honesty but what am I forgetting. Must be newer then 1990 preferably newer then '95. Manual, A/C, open top (either convertible or t-tops)

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
3/30/15 9:30 a.m.

RX7 2nd Gen, Toyota Supra, VR4, maybe an early WRX, even a few 197 Mustangs are dipping down into this area of price.

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
3/30/15 9:32 a.m.

You're within bargaining distance of a LT1 powered C4 Corvette, if that does anything for you.

fanfoy
fanfoy Dork
3/30/15 9:39 a.m.

Don't know in your area, but around here that could get you a nice 2004 RX-8 with a new-ish engine. Don't know if you want it to be good on gas?

Or how about a E36 or E46 coupe. Same thing as a Z3, except with a better rear suspension. They seem to be a lot cheaper than a comparable Z3 around here.

90's Camaro? How do you look with a mullet?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
3/30/15 9:41 a.m.

Do you fit in a Miata with a foamectomy? Your budget should get you into a pretty decent NB, which is a FAR cry from the NA6 you drove.

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/30/15 10:26 a.m.

Honda S2000? May be a little over your price range.
Turbo Subaru's can be pretty exciting so long as you don't do what the kids do and over boost, dump the clutch until the pistons shatter and/or the rod bearings get hammered and melt.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 HalfDork
3/30/15 10:31 a.m.
fanfoy wrote: Or how about a E36 or E46 coupe. Same thing as a Z3, except with a better rear suspension. They seem to be a lot cheaper than a comparable Z3 around here.

That was my first thought. Depends on your definition of "sports car" though.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
3/30/15 10:35 a.m.

I hope this turns into a thread about what is and what isn't a sports car. Paging Nick Comstock.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 SuperDork
3/30/15 11:21 a.m.

I don't think all Z3's had 6-cyl. Believe some had 4-cyl. They are kinda hard to find in this area anyway. Did you see that Brett is selling his autocross 3-series?

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 HalfDork
3/30/15 11:27 a.m.

Late Nissan 300ZX? Not necessarily a recommendation but it's the one thing I could think of that hasn't been mentioned yet.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/30/15 11:31 a.m.

Porsche 924S/944? Good examples are in your price range and they are DIY-friendly. Sunroof panel is removable and hatchback is pretty convenient.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
3/30/15 11:35 a.m.
pres589 wrote: You're within bargaining distance of a LT1 powered C4 Corvette, if that does anything for you.

And a TPI C4 Corvette would easily fit in that budget. Lots of room, great chassis, just saddled with a drivetrain that feels like it should be in a pickup truck.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 HalfDork
3/30/15 11:56 a.m.

There are no bad ideas in brainstorming, right?

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
3/30/15 11:59 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote: Do you fit in a Miata with a foamectomy? Your budget should get you into a pretty decent NB, which is a FAR cry from the NA6 you drove.

This. NB is nicely improved over the NA. My second choice is MR2. Third choice is a nice condition FC RX-7.

Rupert
Rupert Dork
3/30/15 12:07 p.m.

In reply to BlueInGreen44:

Sports Car?? He already has an Si which is a lot more sporty than that.

TGMF
TGMF New Reader
3/30/15 12:11 p.m.

The SI seems like what I would keep out of those choices. Quick, reliable, lots of aftermarket support. Rework the suspension, add some tires, call it good. I do love rear wheel drive, so I can understand the desire for a switch up though. Being a tall person, "the answer" is not the answer. You shouldn't have to remove the foam from your seat to be able to fit in a car. Always feeling cramped in a car sounds miserable, no matter how fun it may be to occasionally drive in anger.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Dork
3/30/15 12:20 p.m.

My vote is FC RX-7, if you don't fit in a Miata.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
3/30/15 12:29 p.m.
wlkelley3 wrote: I don't think all Z3's had 6-cyl. Believe some had 4-cyl. They are kinda hard to find in this area anyway. Did you see that Brett is selling his autocross 3-series?

I just looked and saw that. That is interesting but I am not sure it is what I want. I kinda want something I can drop the top on.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
3/30/15 12:30 p.m.
TGMF wrote: The SI seems like what I would keep out of those choices. Quick, reliable, lots of aftermarket support. Rework the suspension, add some tires, call it good. I do love rear wheel drive, so I can understand the desire for a switch up though. Being a tall person, "the answer" is not the answer. You shouldn't have to remove the foam from your seat to be able to fit in a car. Always feeling cramped in a car sounds miserable, no matter how fun it may be to occasionally drive in anger.

Honestly I have been daily driving Civics my whole driving life and I just want something else.

I also would still have my 93 Civic for autocross.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
3/30/15 12:37 p.m.

FC RX-7, MKIII Supra and 944 and I am assuming any 'Vettes in that price range are probably older then I want right now.

'90s Camaro might be an option. Never driven one.

S197 is a flexible flyer as a convertible.

S2000 is too expensive.

Forgot to put in the OP I am thinking about an open-top car.

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
3/30/15 12:44 p.m.

In reply to MadScientistMatt:

Aftermarket TPI runners, a cam, and an ECU flash or swap would go a long way in improving the L98. It's still a truck motor but at least you could call it a "hot" truck motor at that point.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
3/30/15 12:48 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: FC RX-7, MKIII Supra and 944 and I am assuming any 'Vettes in that price range are probably older then I want right now. '90s Camaro might be an option. Never driven one. S197 is a flexible flyer as a convertible. S2000 is too expensive. Forgot to put in the OP I am thinking about an open-top car.

Make sure you spend some time in a convertible first.

I paid a significant amount over $10k to learn that i berkeleying hated convertibles.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
3/30/15 12:55 p.m.

Saab convertible if convertible is more important than sport.

Last of the Celica convertibles?

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
3/30/15 1:04 p.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621:

Are either of those cars "sports cars" in convertible format? We really need Nick in here to get some definition & scope.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
3/30/15 1:07 p.m.

What about a Saturn Sky/Pontiac Solstice??

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DOvndNpzXyT3LGKmiisUjuwZX6BWQzmQn5OzoTRDrxjHZAI9YvVaKpvnFRUIYlXL