manladypig
manladypig Reader
7/26/24 5:53 p.m.

After a previous post I was led by members here to believe that I didn't need a new carb on my old Dodge, I merely probably had a fuel clog somewhere. Full story on my previous post Here. But I will sum it up quick, van stopped running, but will run on starter fluid fine. 86 Dodge 360, with a quadrajet Carb. Ive gone ahead and took apart my quadrajet, despite not being very experienced with Carbs in general, to find what was going on and I find this:

So it appears everyone was right about the fuel not getting to the carb, the bowl was bone dry and full of these little black pebbles. What the hell are these? and what is it a sign of?

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/26/24 6:07 p.m.

How long has this been sitting?   Could it be lead?

Obviously something coagulating out of the fuel.   

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf Dork
7/26/24 6:11 p.m.

Was the fuel filter clogged?

What was the condition of the rubber fuel line?

manladypig
manladypig Reader
7/26/24 6:15 p.m.

In reply to L5wolvesf :

I replaced all rubber lines, the pump, and the filters like a year ago 

But its been sitting for 4 months

Coniglio Rampante
Coniglio Rampante Reader
7/26/24 6:29 p.m.

Is it possible the evap canister is bad?  I've never taken one apart but I thought those were filled with little bits of charcoal.

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/26/24 6:51 p.m.
Coniglio Rampante said:

Is it possible the evap canister is bad?  I've never taken one apart but I thought those were filled with little bits of charcoal.

Thats my vote.

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/26/24 7:14 p.m.
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) said:
Coniglio Rampante said:

Thats my vote.

Mine too.

It is possible to have two problems at once. If the charcoal canister had failed, replace it, but with the problems reported in the other thread, fuel delivery still needs to be verified. I have a strong suspicion the tank is full of all manner of yucks, and it's worth the effort to make sure it isn't. 

Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
7/26/24 7:31 p.m.

Definitely the canister is shedding it's charcoal. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/26/24 7:43 p.m.

"That looks like the stuff in the charcoal canister" was also my first thought.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/26/24 8:13 p.m.
Coniglio Rampante said:

That's what it looks like when an evap canister comes apart.  I assume that Chrysler connected the carb vent to the canister (because "evaporative emissions control" isn't just a clever name) and that's how the stuff got into the bowls.

Noddaz
Noddaz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/29/24 1:08 p.m.

Now that you found the problem, how is the Dodge running?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
f7HizhLovKk8oG7p1GSBgBguGheZWw6xlG8kWNbjJEvRY2CAhpJlgxZqgR3W5FJB