oldtin
oldtin SuperDork
9/17/12 1:22 p.m.

Realistically, 99% commuter duty, 1% track day/ autocross - e36 (318ti), 17 x 8 wheels - have a set of snows for winter. Any recommendations keeping in mind I'm a cheap bastige.

yamaha
yamaha HalfDork
9/17/12 1:28 p.m.

star specs are generally pretty cheap compared to all seasons......

Sumitomo makes some decent "cheap" tires as well

Jaynen
Jaynen HalfDork
9/17/12 1:51 p.m.

How much performance do you want during that 1%? A high quality performance all season will not have the limit performance but last much much longer

mtn
mtn PowerDork
9/17/12 1:59 p.m.

RE-11's are nice on the street, great on the track, and in my experience, wear like iron. In central IL/Northern IL, mine go on in late March and come off in late November. This is their 3rd or 4th year of DD (I drive a lot less than you) and I'll probably get another summerish out of them.

Oh, they probably have about 15 autocross events on them as well.

No idea on sizes, and they are on the pricier side.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/17/12 2:01 p.m.

All seasons are never worth it, especially if you already have winter tires. There are plenty of higher-mileage summer tires that will do what you want. Hankook Ventus V12 is where I would start.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/17/12 2:21 p.m.

Star Specs or RE11s (which will probably be the better deal for you since they'll stand up to street wear better).

+1 on all-seasons being universally useless. In return for universally terrible performance and not-great wear year-round, it saves you the effort of two tire changes per year. Sounds like a bad deal to me.

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
9/17/12 2:29 p.m.

Continental DWs are some of the best 3-season daily driver tires we've tested .

kazoospec
kazoospec Reader
9/17/12 2:46 p.m.

With those parameters (and assuming you don't want to buy tires every year) I'd say Sumi HTRZ III's or Star Specs. Star Specs wear a little faster, but give you more during that "1%", Sumi's wear pretty well (almost as well as some all season's I've had in the past) and are acceptable for the "1%". Never felt like I lost an autocross because of tires even with the Sumi's, but I'm not that great of a driver.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/17/12 3:24 p.m.

Until you're running bias-ply R-comp slicks of optimized width, diameter, pressure and compound there's always more room for improvement.

Although the Swift GTi that usually takes first by me darts around just fine on anything from R-comps to cheapo all-seasons

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JQY6UPRteirtCjeZgRVv54787CE1Y1OF3xgubFbIYo1tQxNo6LhOeGZnHPZjIkB5