1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/4/15 5:02 p.m.

winter tires? or at least winter-capable tires.

Rain-X for sure.

chemical hand/foot-warmer pouch thingies

blankets or sleeping bag

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
2/4/15 5:50 p.m.

there will be no room left in that truck for him...

ronholm
ronholm Dork
2/4/15 6:34 p.m.

I am in Kansas city with a nice warm shop and a lift if you run into trouble..

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
2/4/15 7:04 p.m.

I approve of the boat fuel tank idea. Who knows what kind of swarf is in that tank...

Lotsa warm clothes and some food and water. A candle in a tin can.

Enjoy!

NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
2/4/15 7:18 p.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: In reply to oldopelguy: That warms my freakin' heart... Seriously!

I did my engineering in Brookings SD, Oldopel' post reminds me of how much I miss the people in that state.

glueguy
glueguy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/4/15 7:26 p.m.

So let's recap. 1969 truck, sight unseen, driving AR to deep north Canada, in the dead of winter. You sir are equal parts brave and stupid. And for that I salute you and wish you an amazing adventure!

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/4/15 8:48 p.m.

In reply to Joe Gearin:

Where do they sell silicone tape like that? I've never seen it before.

Packing my tool kit now..... Picked up a coil, 4 pin HEI module, u joints, front wheel bearings, and belts today at work.

Run_Away
2/4/15 8:49 p.m.

In reply to glueguy:

Hah, not quite north Canada....Winnipeg is about 1hr away from the North Dakota border.

glueguy
glueguy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/4/15 9:37 p.m.

North enough

doc_speeder
doc_speeder HalfDork
2/4/15 9:46 p.m.

Haha, I did a similar trip--well ok quite different. Atlanta to Lethbridge. In the summer. In a nearly new G35...

I can't really think of anything that hasn't been covered yet, except to say I'm jealous. Plan enough time for the trip that any breakdowns etc just add character and flavour to the journey and stories.

My best friend in high school had a sweet '69 CST. We did a couple decent road trips in it. I've got a serious soft spot for those Chebbies.

ssswitch
ssswitch Reader
2/4/15 10:12 p.m.

In reply to Run_Away:

If you can't find the Rescue Tape in time, I know that Canadian Tire and Home Depot both sell Nashua Stretch & Seal tape which is probably mostly the same thing. It's what I carry in my road trip toolbox.

Note that I strongly doubt it is fuel safe.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
2/5/15 6:44 a.m.

Cash,Cash is a miracle tool. Pull it out and things start to happen.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
2/5/15 9:07 a.m.

I like the Cash comment!
This would mean have US currency while in the US.

This comment also makes me wonder, are you prepared for what you will need at the boarder. Entering Canada with a truck on temporary Arkansas plates, in your Canadian name is likely going to result in some forms of proof and taxes to be paid, I guess?

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
2/5/15 1:05 p.m.

In reply to Run_Away:

Looks like that truck has been converted to an hei distributor, so the coil is integrated in the cap. If you ordered a coil specific for a 69 it's probably the wrong one.

edit: Nevermind, I looked up the part number and that's correct for the one that replaces the coil in the cap. Looks like you got it covered. Good luck!

NGTD
NGTD SuperDork
2/5/15 3:21 p.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: This comment also makes me wonder, are you prepared for what you will need at the boarder. Entering Canada with a truck on temporary Arkansas plates, in your Canadian name is likely going to result in some forms of proof and taxes to be paid, I guess?

Paperwork has to be at the border crossing you intend to cross at 72 hours BEFORE you arrive.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
2/5/15 3:38 p.m.

Every single auto parts store you pass will either have the part you need or it will be on the truck by noon the next day. Take the first couple hundred miles slow and feel the truck out. Keep a smart phone with you. The ability to sort out a problem is your biggest advantage and a smart phone gives you access to millions of problem solving brains in a moment.
Good luck!

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
2/5/15 4:26 p.m.

I will pass on some of the finest advice ever given in the known galaxies:

DON'T PANIC!

ALWAYS CARRY A TOWEL!

Rupert
Rupert HalfDork
2/5/15 7:29 p.m.

GREAT! Go for it! Just don't ask me to ride shotgun!

Run_Away
2/6/15 4:37 a.m.

72hr customs paperwork has been submitted along with the new AES filing earlier this week.

Up at 3am, 4:36 at the airport right now still waiting in line...

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
2/6/15 5:27 a.m.

Okay, it's on! Today is the day.
Subscribed.
We're here to help

gunner
gunner GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/6/15 6:06 a.m.

Great weather to start out of Arkansas this weekend. 71 degrees tomorrow and 66 degrees sunday in SW Missouri. great luck!

rob_lewis
rob_lewis SuperDork
2/6/15 6:42 a.m.

Subscribed!!

Good luck!

-Rob

egnorant
egnorant SuperDork
2/6/15 8:26 a.m.

Happy trails!

Bruce

Run_Away
2/6/15 11:09 a.m.

Just landed, tool bag made it safely. Getting excited!

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
2/6/15 12:39 p.m.

Awesome! Post pics!

1 2 3 4 5 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4Vy85evHTJIt99oaM5IxbKz0oET1v7g5BZlA5OpFTu3of4RFKaT7ROqNZ09SEALu