1 2
WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/19/13 10:08 p.m.

The engine has low compression from being flooded... It definitely is in need of an Italian tuneup (I.e: brought up to temperature, and then flogged like it owes you money).

Rx8s do have a fuel cut, if you crank it with the gas pedal all the way down, it won't inject any fuel. Do that for 10 or 15 seconds, then let the starter cool down for 20-30 seconds, then do it again. Try to start it after the 2nd or 3rd time (if the car has been sitting a while).

If you're going to any rotary powered vehicle a short distance (from the driveway to the garage, for example), what you want to do is rev it up to 4k or so, then turn it off when the revs are dropping. What happens is, all engines need to inject up to 200% fuel when cold. A rotary relies on oil injection to keep the apex seals lubricated. All of that extra gas will eat away that oil film, causing there to be no compression next time you try to start.

Edit: if its soooo flooded that it won't start, the best thing to do is to simply pull it behind something and pop the clutch. I wouldn't replace a single part, because it doesn't need it. Then, get it up to temp and hit redline a lot to let her know to still care.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
10/20/13 7:01 a.m.

http://spooledupracing.com/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=465

Gasoline
Gasoline SuperDork
10/20/13 7:18 a.m.

Sell it.

blaze86vic
blaze86vic Reader
10/20/13 8:49 a.m.
WonkoTheSane wrote: The engine has low compression from being flooded... It definitely is in need of an Italian tuneup (I.e: brought up to temperature, and then flogged like it owes you money). Rx8s do have a fuel cut, if you crank it with the gas pedal all the way down, it won't inject any fuel. Do that for 10 or 15 seconds, then let the starter cool down for 20-30 seconds, then do it again. Try to start it after the 2nd or 3rd time (if the car has been sitting a while). If you're going to any rotary powered vehicle a short distance (from the driveway to the garage, for example), what you want to do is rev it up to 4k or so, then turn it off when the revs are dropping.

Do this! Many people think that because it runs on gasoline, it's just a normal engine. It is very different, and it needs to be treated differently. Just like a two stroke.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
10/20/13 9:06 a.m.

Yep, rotaries get pissed if you don't beat on them. Use the various unflooding tricks mentioned then run the living snot out of it.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/20/13 11:55 a.m.

If it's a manual transmission don't bother trying to start it with the starter, just pull start it. I've flooded mine once in the 3 years I've had it and no amount of cranking, plug replacement etc would get it to fire. I pulled it 50 feet down the driveway and it started right up.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
If9uTGs0rM22sjZmJSD4DF5OJt7s5VNZTAIUR7YhOSKEDYob6jYtAawbYmKEecI4