1 2
Ojala
Ojala GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/29/13 8:04 p.m.

Well I was given a Super Beetle, but I don't know what to do with it. I used to be big into bugs, but now....meh...I have fallen out of love with bugs and air cooled motors. But a free car is a free car so I want to completely gut this thing and do something fun with it. Give me some good ideas...the weirder the better!

My current idea is a Honda b20 engine and auto transmission mounted longitudinal with r160(or r180) diffs front and rear. I have also been thinking about solenoid controlled air suspension. Kind of a Super B rock crawler if that makes sense.

kurk9
kurk9 New Reader
1/29/13 8:13 p.m.

WRX engine, make it a drift car.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/29/13 8:24 p.m.

Well, some pock and mix and you can put some 924/944 suspension parts under it. CIP1.com has some interesting parts.

There was a pretty stout Super Beetle posted on here a while back. Full on turbo track/AutoX car....

novaderrik
novaderrik UltraDork
1/29/13 8:41 p.m.

dune buggy..

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/29/13 8:41 p.m.

LeMons!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Dork
1/29/13 10:03 p.m.

I really want to rallycross one. Especially after reading about beetles winning the safari rally outright several times. That's some legitimate rally pedigree right there. I vote rallycross. Hell, you're close enough to me that I'm half tempted to give you actual money for it so I can do it myself.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/29/13 10:09 p.m.

I learned to drive on a beetle. Some day I will get another.

EvanR
EvanR HalfDork
1/29/13 10:37 p.m.

You could pay it forward and give it to me :)

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
1/29/13 10:49 p.m.
EvanR wrote: You could pay it forward and give it to me :)

Or me, I need a new DD.

Ojala
1/29/13 10:58 p.m.

I feel that in the interest of full disclosure I reveal that this thing is not in good condition. It has slight rot in some odd places due to how it was being "stored" and is a horrible shade of matte tan. The engine is locked up. Aaaaand the title is being held by an older family member who signed it over to me but has the title in his safe. He said he wants me to actually finish the project ( which truth be told is his problem not mine) and he said he wont give me the title till I finish.

I am also thinking about a rotary engine, bus transmission, and awd via an electric motor driving the front wheels. Or stretched wheelbase, Mustang II ifs, 4 doors, and Suzuki G10 out back.

The problem is I dont particularly love bugs anymore but it would be fun to make something interesting. The hard part is coming up with a clear and "rational" vision of what I want to do and then coming up with a plan, budget, and checklist.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Dork
1/29/13 11:07 p.m.

The car deserves to die by living. I know they rallycross up there by you and we run events down south farther. Put in a running engine and race it. Cars aren't awesome because of what they are, they're awesome because of what they do. Freeeeedom!

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic HalfDork
1/29/13 11:11 p.m.

Mid mount a 3800 S2 Supercharged V6 and 4T65E(unless theres a beefy enough FWD stick I'm unaware of) longitudinally, AWD like you said. You could make some sort of batE36 M3 crazy Modified AWD rallyX car.

JFX001
JFX001 UltraDork
1/29/13 11:29 p.m.

Eh, get it running and patch it up...then drive the hell out of it.

VG30_S12
VG30_S12 Reader
1/29/13 11:51 p.m.

Rotary bug anyone?

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/30/13 12:04 a.m.

Does no one have a current link to the Caddywagen? I drooled over that website for years.

Some random college kid took the pan from a beetle and welded the front subframe from a 70-something eldorado (front-wheel-drive) to the back of it. I was able to find one photo:

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/30/13 12:06 a.m.

Oh my.... I just found it. Here is step 1. Follow the links for the rest. http://web.archive.org/web/20021212201029/www.wsu.edu/~426hemi/stepone.html

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/30/13 12:35 a.m.

Add me to the chorus calling for rallycross.

Let it finish out its life with a valiant surge for a few finish lines.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/30/13 12:52 a.m.
Curtus73 said: Oh my.... I just found it. Here is step 1. Follow the links for the rest.

Step one: cut a hole in the bug Step two: put some junk in the hole Step three: make her open the bug

novaderrik
novaderrik UltraDork
1/30/13 1:06 a.m.
Ojala wrote: I feel that in the interest of full disclosure I reveal that this thing is not in good condition. It has slight rot in some odd places due to how it was being "stored" and is a horrible shade of matte tan. The engine is locked up. Aaaaand the title is being held by an older family member who signed it over to me but has the title in his safe. He said he wants me to actually finish the project ( which truth be told is his problem not mine) and he said he wont give me the title till I finish. I am also thinking about a rotary engine, bus transmission, and awd via an electric motor driving the front wheels. Or stretched wheelbase, Mustang II ifs, 4 doors, and Suzuki G10 out back. The problem is I dont particularly love bugs anymore but it would be fun to make something interesting. The hard part is coming up with a clear and "rational" vision of what I want to do and then coming up with a plan, budget, and checklist.

so you're supposed to sink a bunch of time and money into something that you don't actually own yet?

yeah, that's a good idea..

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro SuperDork
1/30/13 1:49 a.m.

Rule #1

Never, ever, ever, EVER put time, effort or money into a project that you don't have a clear title for.

Lets see...

No title. Locked motor. Rot. Super beetle, so it's not even sandrail-worthy.

Cut the roof open. Fill with dead engine blocks, appliances, anything metal. Put on trailer and earn yourself some beer money at the scrapyard. Send photos from scrapyard and beer consumption party to jackass relative who clearly knows nothing about project-worthy cars.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
1/30/13 4:42 a.m.

I agree, the superbeetle wasn't much for hotrodding, owing to that mcpherson strut front end. Can't dune buggy it worth a darn.

Rotted, locked up engine, no title, and you're not interested. Pass it on to someone who is.

JKleiner
JKleiner Reader
1/30/13 5:16 a.m.

So the title is being held hostage? Can you say "Thanks, but no thanks"?

Mental
Mental PowerDork
1/30/13 5:26 a.m.

If you insist on not trashing it, non turbo scooby engines are over 120 HP and are availible 2 for $400.

They are faster than you think

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/30/13 6:43 a.m.

Ojala
1/30/13 9:06 a.m.

I don't question great uncle Frank on the title thing just because he is my godfather and has given me several vehicles over the years. Well that and I don't question him because he is my godfather and that is a big deal in my family.

What I really want is his Immaculate Corvair rampside. But he said I have to wait till he is dead since I didn't name one of my kids after him.

I am very interested in rally cross, but I thought that all of them were at Corn's place or down by Houston?

Sorry if I have been brain dumping but we had an officer shot last night and I have been at the hospital a lot and not getting much sleep.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RppOEWmbjRg2LQYmOMbc6XlpPnySMXaFC2adVHK0LUgz2XCKCLfVjBQyKTyNos1a