1 2
ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Reader
1/6/09 12:26 a.m.

Okay, so I guess it's my turn for the "what car?" thread, but mine's a little different.

Currently I own too many cars, all projects in some form or another, and I just can't support this many projects.

Right now I have the following:

1)'98 Cobra. Bought used, still making payments. 85k on the car, very lightly modded (Bilsteins on all 4 corners, FR500 steering wheel, Tri-ax shifter, Bullitt pedal covers, Porterfield front brake pads, Maximum Motorsports clutch quadrant/firewall adjuster, Macleod Stage 1 clutch). This is my current DD, everything works, though it squeaks like a typical Mustang. I get that bad empty-feeling in my gut anytime I start to think about selling this car.

2)'77 Celica GT liftback. 5-speed. Most recent acquisition, bone stock other than p-type Supra rims. Very straight, original paint, the work. Some mild sun damage. This was a field find of a friend of mine's, 133k on the odo, Currently just cleaning it up and fixing the (very minor) things that are broken.

3)'96 Bronco. 5.0, automatic, 4x4 (of course). Bought this one used, still making payments on it. This is the fiance's DD, and the only vehicle not potentially on the chopping block as it's my only vehicle capable of towing, and my only running 4x4. It's on the list only to show what I'm working with.

4)'87 Mustang LX convertible. Doesn't run. Engine and tranny are out. Have many, many, many parts for this project, including an '89 Mustang GT 5.0 5-speed donor car (have already pulled almost everything off of). Ongoing project of many years. Already have over $2k in suspension parts sitting waiting to go on. However, this car is sitting 5 hours away, and it's been over a year since I last worked on it. I feel like I'm over my head (full drivetrain swap 2.3 auto -> 5.0 5-speed), but have mucho emotional investment in this project.

5)'87 Camry AllTrac. 5-speed. Blew up the motor rallycrossing back in March. Had a guy pick the car up to do a 3S-GTE swap, guy turned out (possibly through no fault of his own) to be a total flake, I've gone round and round with him, many period of no communication, and right now I'm attempting to get the car back in whatever condition it's sitting in. I know he pulled the busted 3S-FE out, believe that's how it sits. I have a shop I trust rearing to go to actually do the swap once I get the car back, which I have reason to believe will be in the next 2 weeks.

I'm looking to end up with a fun, solid DD; a car I can autocross; a car I an do HPDEs in; a rallycross car; a car that will work for going to snow country; a tow rig; possibly a drift car, and absolutely I want the cars that can pull double or triple duty. I have one thought as to how this should go, but I'm interested in other's opinions. I do want to keep projects, (just not this many!) so of course suggestions can include "do mod X to car Y and use it for Z".

I appreciate everyone's input, though I'd prefer to not get a finance lecture about modding cars that I'm paying off. Also, new cars are totally out of the question, so no "sell everything and buy...".

Thanks!

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Reader
1/6/09 12:34 a.m.

I should add I'm looking to keep 3 of the above: the Bronco and two others. Realized that was missing.

mtn
mtn Dork
1/6/09 12:54 a.m.

You make it tough. I'd say that the Celica and the Cobra get my votes.

And then a Miata for good measure.

914Driver
914Driver Dork
1/6/09 5:58 a.m.

I would pitch the Mustang and the Cobra.

Cool cars in the corral AND no payments.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/6/09 6:47 a.m.

It sounds like you have the most experience with Ford. For that fact alone, I'd stick with what you know, what you're comfortable with & what it seems like you have the most of. You've already made it pretty clear you want to keep the Cobra. Sell the two Toyotas, you'll get decent money for both of them to help fund your stalled Mustang project.

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Reader
1/6/09 9:16 a.m.

Standard rule of thumb is if you have more money than time, sell projects and make payments. If you have more time than money keep projects and get rid of payments.

Anything in between, you have to figure out how much time and how much money you have to spend on cars and what cars you REALLY want. The answer will be different for just about everybody.

I have been there many times.

confuZion3
confuZion3 Dork
1/6/09 9:23 a.m.

Keep them all. Buy a Miata.

I like Snowdoggie's rule of thumb though, if that doesn't work.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Reader
1/6/09 12:05 p.m.

Sell the Celica to me. And the camry. I have a 3sgte here for it.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
1/6/09 12:08 p.m.

i would keep the celica, cobra and bronco, but it sounds like the other two might be hard to sell

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Reader
1/6/09 1:07 p.m.
confuZion3 wrote: Keep them all. Buy a Miata. I like Snowdoggie's rule of thumb though, if that doesn't work.

Sell them all. Buy a whole bunch of Miatas.

Of course I bought the VW because my dogs didn't like the Miata. It isn't the answer to everything.

So buy a whole bunch of Miatas and one Astro Van.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
1/6/09 1:47 p.m.

I hope you can get the All-Trac back. That is a fairly rare car--hate to see someone destroy it.

Anyway, ditch the LX and the Cobra IMHO

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Reader
1/6/09 1:48 p.m.
Snowdoggie wrote: Sell them all. Buy a whole bunch of Miatas. Of course I bought the VW because my dogs didn't like the Miata. It isn't the answer to everything. So buy a whole bunch of Miatas and one Astro Van.

Yeah, my dogs don't really care for the Cobra, either, but that's as much me not liking muddy labrador on nice leather seats, lol.

I would absolutely LOVE to trade the Celica for a foxbody notchback (even a 2.3L car, assuming it was a 5-speed). Part of the reason I've stalled on that project is that I don't want a convertible. Of course, how many people who have a foxbody mustang would want or respect the awesome of a mustang-back Celica?

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Reader
1/6/09 2:12 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote:
Snowdoggie wrote: Sell them all. Buy a whole bunch of Miatas. Of course I bought the VW because my dogs didn't like the Miata. It isn't the answer to everything. So buy a whole bunch of Miatas and one Astro Van.
Yeah, my dogs don't really care for the Cobra, either, but that's as much me not liking muddy labrador on nice leather seats, lol. I would absolutely LOVE to trade the Celica for a foxbody notchback (even a 2.3L car, assuming it was a 5-speed). Part of the reason I've stalled on that project is that I don't want a convertible. Of course, how many people who have a foxbody mustang would want or respect the awesome of a mustang-back Celica?

If gas prices go back up the 2.3s might actually be popular for a change. I used to have one, and everybody wanted to know if it was a 5.0.

JFX001
JFX001 HalfDork
1/6/09 2:42 p.m.

I'd keep the Cobra and the Camry.

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/6/09 5:07 p.m.

In my experience, big/involved, half-finished long-term projects are a lot of headache and a lot of heartache hinged upon on potential reward if/when it is done, if/when "done" turns out like you imagine it. Projects that seem small/simple are more rewarding in the short run, and if you cross everything off your to-do list for the car, you have a car which is "done" and the perfect excuse to dream up a new to-do list. :D

I'd lose the Mustang for sure, seeing as it isn't running or all that convenient right now. You might have a lot of work into this one so far, but they aren't exactly hard to find if you find yourself regretting it. The fact that it isn't done should tell you something.

Keep the Cobra for HPDE, you could autocross it, you could daily drive it, you love it, and it is a bit unique.

Since it has to stay and can tow or go offroading, keep the Bronco for snow, tow, and the missus.

Which leaves us with the two Toyotas. As much as it pains me to say it, I'd ditch the All-Trac. It would be badass when done, but it isn't done, and sounds like a bit of a headache. It is nearly impossible to replace, but isn't worth much to most people who will just see it as an old sedan. The Celica is either working or close to it. It will keep appreciating, and isn't getting any easier to replace, but it isn't so priceless that you would have to fear driving it. It should be economical and fairly reliable for an older car, so it could be daily driven, and it could be autocrossed (albeit slowly) It would be a surefire hoot on the rallycross course, RWD sideways action?

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Reader
1/6/09 5:44 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote:
Yeah, my dogs don't really care for the Cobra, either, but that's as much me not liking muddy labrador on nice leather seats, lol.

My Border Collie is the one that doesn't like the Miata. He keeps going behind the seats expecting to find a nice space back there like there is with the Cherokee and like there was with my Suzuki Swift GT. Instead he bumps his nose against the back window and gets frustrated and barks. I stopped taking him in the car because I was afraid he would tear a hole in the top and jump out.

The huskies won't fit in the car so it wasn't a problem.

I did miss my Swift. It was a great Challenge Car/Daily Driver/Dog Rescue-Hauler car, but then I remember that I could not get parts for it, even at the dealer, and the dealer could not get parts for the new ones either, pointing back at some new Suzukis that came back under warranty that were still waiting for parts weeks later. Aftermarket for it was non-existent, and the one part I did manage to get from the dealer, an outside door handle, was made in China with cheap plastic innards instead of metal like the Japanese Original and broke shortly after I installed it, requiring a wrecking yard replacement from a Geo Metro.

Suzuki Franchises have a lot of work to do if they want to succeed in the American Market. Having salesmen chase you out the door drooling for a commission after you try to pick up the parts you are not going to get does not leave a good impression either.

There has to be some kind of a scorecard on what cars to keep and what cars to dump based on factors including parts and aftermarket availability. Mustangs don't seem to have that problem.

minimac
minimac Dork
1/6/09 6:49 p.m.

If you can figure out how to get it on the east side of the country cheaply, I'd take the Celica off your hands. One less to worry about.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Reader
1/6/09 7:40 p.m.
minimac wrote: If you can figure out how to get it on the east side of the country cheaply, I'd take the Celica off your hands. One less to worry about.

You could fly over and drive it back... give me the time to get the exhaust leak properly patched, and to install the new motor and tranny mounts that are showing up on Thursday first, though ;)

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/6/09 7:51 p.m.

Dump the Camry headache and the droptop Stang, but not the parts. Sell the Celica after finishing the clean-up for top dollar, buy a clean Notch Stang. Now you have 2 DD's (Cobra, Bronco) and the all-around playcar in the Notch. Plus the sale of 2.5 cars should help the payoffs and/or finance the Notch acquisition.

clownkiller
clownkiller New Reader
1/6/09 7:54 p.m.

Get rid of the Celica, some drifter would love it. Last one on= first to go

As a side note: there is a Camry AllTrac in Pull-a-part here in GA. I took a second look at the rear wheel drive goodies

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
1/6/09 8:15 p.m.

keep the bronco, the mustang and the celica. sell the Camry to me...

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Reader
1/6/09 8:17 p.m.
clownkiller wrote: Get rid of the Celica, some drifter would love it. Last one on= first to go As a side note: there is a Camry AllTrac in Pull-a-part here in GA. I took a second look at the rear wheel drive goodies

That whole rear assembly is identical to the one used on the Celica AllTrac... only difference (if there is any) is the brakes.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Reader
1/6/09 8:19 p.m.
P71 wrote: Dump the Camry headache and the droptop Stang, but not the parts. Sell the Celica after finishing the clean-up for top dollar, buy a clean Notch Stang. Now you have 2 DD's (Cobra, Bronco) and the all-around playcar in the Notch. Plus the sale of 2.5 cars should help the payoffs and/or finance the Notch acquisition.

This is actually really similar to the thought I've had since starting this thread.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg HalfDork
1/6/09 8:46 p.m.

First thing I would do, eliminate the debts, keep the celica its becoming rare and is a fun car. As for the other two pick the project you prefer to work on.

Of course this is coming from a guy with 5 projects and 5 running cars....I have no debt on any of them though

Volksroddin
Volksroddin HalfDork
1/6/09 10:54 p.m.

Keep the Celica!!!! those are so so so sweet I miss the one we got rid of (sr5 friggen sweet car) and sell the bronco.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gXSgqdXmjOXxMhGYhLWXOtlZJH3NMh38T81xN4qyclFrWaB0WSZwqZoI1VL7mus3