Masterdebator
Masterdebator New Reader
5/13/22 5:40 a.m.

Hi all, I've been wanting to do this for years, and I am finally ready to commit.

I'm interested in assembling an engine in my spare time. My M3 is a twin cam four cylinder, and I don't dare take it apart, but I'd like to get to the point where I have the confidence to do so.

That said, I'm looking for suggestions for a twin cam four that I can take apart/put together/learn on/swear at/use for selfies/free me from the dreariness of daily corporate life. 

I've been looking at the B16, 4AG, M42, Zetec, KAs and SRs...but not sure what makes sense. I'd like something with plentiful part supplies and a friendly community. 

I'll be stealing from the M3 budget, but I figure it will give me much more satisfaction than spending money for a mechanic to have the fun. Figure a budget < 10k from start to finish. Nothing crazy, just something that would result in a stock rebuild.

All suggestions welcome. 

Thanks. 

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/13/22 6:55 a.m.

In reply to Masterdebator :

How are current prices for the non-M 4cyl engines? That would give you the most familiarity for when it's time to tear into your car. 

You could also add Mazda BP6 or 8 to your list - there's always people needing a Miata engine. 

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/13/22 7:25 a.m.

If you want to practice before you tear down your S14, then buy the cheapest 4 cylinder that has a timing chain.

M42/M44 are cheap, plentiful and somewhat similar to the S14.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
5/13/22 8:19 a.m.

In reply to Masterdebator :

What you want isn't the exact same engine, but cheap?     Try a Jaguar six cylinder.  Same principle except 2 extra cylinders to practice on.  

I regularly see them for $200 in junkyards. Terribly reliable  
    It's a very cool engine. All aluminum. So not excessively heavy.  Parts are available from Rock Auto. And a lot of cheap sources. 

Masterdebator
Masterdebator New Reader
5/13/22 10:19 a.m.

Cheers, fellas! 

FieroReinke
FieroReinke New Reader
5/13/22 12:29 p.m.

I did something similar when I was really getting into cars.   My brother's were into Triumph TR7s at the time and I grabbed a junk engine from their pile and tore it apart and put it together multiple times just learning how it all worked.    my suggestion is reach out to any local machine shops or garages  and ask about core engines that they may have.   Buy it for what someone would get in core charge for a replacement the shop is installing.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nTSl47vzAXrvShvfKwbNjHOQTqpgraOkUwu1fugyGuMN535f7SDvYVsQEn2TFxSg