1 2
Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
5/27/22 2:20 p.m.

My .02

The parts to fix the motor are available and yes they are pricey BUT you will spend way more on a motor swap.

Shop the classifieds carefully on places like 311s.org and you should likely find what you need.

I'm all in for hot rod Datsuns.............but thinking the stock stuff is pricey should not be the reason for building a hot rod.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/27/22 2:45 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:
Underpowered said:

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

Fun,  reliable, easy to maintain driver is the goal.  Hit the key and takeoff.   But a bit more pep than the original drivetrain can provide.  

I'd look closely at Miata power. The bp engine is really nice in one way most of the other options (sr20, k, etc etc) are not, and that is in rear sump oil pan. 

On paper the Miata is not much more powerful but it real life it is.

I'm betting that the rollerskate won't fit- since the Datsun is similar to my Alfa, where the cab is farther forward than Miatas.  But still a front and rear subframe swap would make a great key and drive Roadster.

Underpowered
Underpowered New Reader
5/27/22 3:05 p.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

Going back originaly hasn't even been considered.  He it pretty set on a re-power at this point.    

jr02518
jr02518 HalfDork
5/27/22 3:48 p.m.

What do his current cars and toys drive like?  Does he crave torque or is looking for momentum in the corners.

With that information you can start to solve the engine question.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1bdg8XC1thx3lo3oCorUCvJ7NdE0GFdLvle52RQ0oP0D2kOEJgyStxoY5Na0VfjT