BBsGarage
BBsGarage HalfDork
5/22/15 8:25 a.m.

Car - 2013 Veloster Turbo.

Some history - Changed out the front brake pads about 2 weeks ago, nothing looked out of place at the time.

The problem - A metal to metal sound started, only when moving, in or out of gear, quite loud at times, not much change in pitch with speed. It sounds like it is coming from the front end, but I could be wrong, a quick look around and under the car reveals nothing, it just started this morning and I havent been able to take a proper look. It has a tinny sound, kinda sounds like a tin can dragging on the ground or the heat/dust shield hitting the rotor.

Any ideas on where I should start to look?

Thanks

trucke
trucke HalfDork
5/22/15 8:26 a.m.

Did one of the wear bars on a pad get bent during install? Might need to bend it back a little.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Reader
5/22/15 10:14 a.m.

Maybe a clip rubbing on the rotor?

Pull the pads back out and make sure everything looks ok. Or ignore it until it self-clearances (I do not recommend this course of action)

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/22/15 11:09 a.m.

Maybe a stone between the disc and the dust shield? Try backing up and see if it goes away.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/22/15 11:22 a.m.

On a semi-related note, this: https://youtu.be/QDD1OQAC_fc

NOTE: THE ABOVE CLIP CONTAINS DIRTY LANGUAGE SO PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK. MANAGEMENT IS NOT RESPONSIBLE.

It is funny, though.

BBsGarage
BBsGarage HalfDork
5/22/15 8:34 p.m.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Thats funny ^^^^^^^^^^^

Problem resolved.

It was in fact the heat/dust shield that was rubbing against the rotor, how it suddenly got that way, I have no idea. But I pushed it back and away from the rotor and the noise is gone.

Thanks all.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/22/15 8:38 p.m.

Was the shield bent or loose?

BBsGarage
BBsGarage HalfDork
5/26/15 8:02 a.m.

Wasn't loose at all, I just pushed it away from the rotor on all sides I could reach thru the rim.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VsV97cvSAU05bfPwSTRkBGssrcUcM12mpLiU6ajOIwrscP2vXy8Rb9F4uWTp1AQf