1 2 3 4
BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
7/23/22 4:52 p.m.

Not necessarily the most luxurious, just straight up the the most physically comfortable.

I kinda miss the 96 Grand Caravan I had for a bit. Cloth seats and something about the seating position, the way the driver seat was worn in just the most perfect way... That was when I was working for the floor company, beating myself up carrying maple around all day for gym floors. Sliding into that old van at the end of the work day was good.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
7/23/22 4:55 p.m.

Most comfortable seat and driving ergonomics were a 1976 Triumph TR7.

Most comfortable driving dynamics lack of noise/ GT car is my current '01 Jaguar XJR 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
7/23/22 5:00 p.m.

I put up with the 626 for 14 years, so yeah, it was comfortable, like an old shoe.  Something about that 80's velour, I guess.

My CX-9 is quite comfy also.

But the car that got the most compliments as being comfy, as in cloud-like, was the '76 Olds Cutlass.  This was a double-edged sword, however.  Around town, it just floated over small bumps, but on the interstate it felt disconnected, and over larger bumps and dips it would bottom the suspension with a horrific crash.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
7/23/22 5:06 p.m.

Not as nice as this one but mine was a Cartier - 1987.

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/23/22 5:07 p.m.

My 987 without a doubt. 10 hours of driving a day for 4 days with ease. Even my wife said after two days: "Huh, my butt doesn't even hurt".

Even comfortable actually driving. Idiots in front of you, dip the right big toe in and squirt past them. Someone tries to cut you off, you handle right around them. 

Getting into it makes a suction sound of a perfect fit and you just smile.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/23/22 5:07 p.m.

Most of them.  "Comfortable like an old shoe" is an apt description.

When I retired my '85 RX-7, I transferred its driver seat to the '84 that replaced it.  Same exact seat but one was broken in to my form.  I figure between the two cars I had 200k miles in that seat.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
7/23/22 5:11 p.m.

My 95 Thunderbird was the most comfortable car I've had, at least for long road trips.  The seat's bolstering was just right, and the distance to the steering wheel and pedals worked, which is kind of rare for me, at least in cars without a telescoping steering wheel.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/23/22 5:31 p.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

A 1959 Morris Minor Traveler. ( the woodie wagon ) 

It was so easy to get in.   My hand reached for the ignition switch  in just the right spot. Fantastic visibility.  Comfort,  rode smooth over bumps.   The seats fit me perfectly just the right support and cushioning.     Gear knob , my hand dropped on it. 
    OK with 948cc of mild manners  it wasn't going to  impress anyone with speed.  
The perfect city car. Fantastic for running errands.  Gentle on gas,  quiet but just enough note in the exhaust so you didn't miss the Tach it didn't have.  Room for actual people in the rear seats. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
7/23/22 5:34 p.m.

Not sure I've ever owned a comfortable car. My current Outback is as plush as I've ever managed.

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
7/23/22 5:46 p.m.
Indy - Guy said:

I'm not sure I would have expected this. And now I want to drive a TR7 because I'm curious.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/23/22 5:52 p.m.

I've had cars with great seats, but I'm not sure that I've ever owned a super comfy car. 

Maybe the 1998 Volvo V70R comes the closest. It's pretty comfy. 

calteg
calteg SuperDork
7/23/22 5:56 p.m.

GX470. I would get out of that boat more relaxed than when I got in.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/23/22 6:01 p.m.

Now that I think about it, my Jeep Wrangler is surprisingly comfortable. The seats aren't bad, but the seating position is really good.  

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
7/23/22 6:02 p.m.

'88 Mazda 626.  Best seats by far of anything I've owned.

Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself
Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself PowerDork
7/23/22 6:12 p.m.

Between my '73 Imperial and '95 Buick Roadmaster wagon, I am not sure which was more comfortable.

Both could eat up hundreds of miles on Epic Road Trips without any physical discomfort.

However, the Roadmaster added emotional distress over what might fail next, possibly resulting in an uncomfortable, sweaty ride due to the A/C compressor failure on a 1K mile trip in 100 degree heat, suddenly losing its ability to control its fluids on a trip to Austin, Texas,  or yet another Optispark failure on what should have been a simple trip to St Louis to pick up a motorcycle.

Which leaves the Imperial Cruiser as my all time favorite for stone axe reliable comfort for going anywhere in the U.S, or a commute to work, while arriving fresh as a daisy.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/23/22 6:12 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

Not as nice as this one but mine was a Cartier - 1987.

This. Same year, same color, same 1/2 vinyl roof. Mine was a Signature Series. It was a wonderful car. 

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/23/22 6:19 p.m.

61 Mercury Meteor 800.

It was my high school car and did not have AC, but it was a huge car and just floated down the road

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
7/23/22 6:26 p.m.
BlueInGreen - Jon said:
Indy - Guy said:

I'm not sure I would have expected this. And now I want to drive a TR7 because I'm curious.

Yes, the cloth seats, not the later vinyl ones.

The relationship of the pedals and steering wheel to the slightly reclining seating position in combination with the center console that placed your right arm in perfect position on the manual gear shift lever.  Magical.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
7/23/22 7:05 p.m.

XC90.  Great seat, good dead pedal, gloriously good hvac.

67 Impala, leaned against the door, right arm stretched out over the seat back, left elbow out the window, fingertip steering.

A different kind of comfort.

j_tso
j_tso HalfDork
7/23/22 8:15 p.m.

Mazda MX-3 seats supported me in all the right places. Once as a rent-a-cop I had to do an overnight shift in the car, I wasn't sore at the end and I'm pretty sure I didn't fall asleep.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/23/22 8:21 p.m.

I have to say it was my 83 Grand Wagoneer. It was really comfy and confidence inspiring in most situations. If I could afford the gas to keep it going I would have one in the garage but not even teens most of the time is rough. 

chief8one
chief8one Reader
7/23/22 8:30 p.m.

My first car I bought for $250.00 bucks when I was 16.  1980 ford LTD 302 rust holes and half a rusty bumper.  It was baby blue (kinda what was left of the mostly oxidated paint) with blue interior non vinyl top.  Front and back seats were big enough for activities and I swear you could run over a cow and not feel it.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
7/23/22 8:55 p.m.

Best seats were the Lear-Siegler seats in my '84 Indy Fiero.

Most comfy car overall was my Volvo 850T wagon.

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
7/23/22 9:16 p.m.

Till mid 2000s, I'd answer "the 72 International Traveler I owned in the mid '90s" 
Now, I've had a bunch with more user comforts. But no AC didn't bother me then. Ya didn't have to climb up to get in, nor fold yourself into. Just walk up, open the door, and sit down. (Hard to explain) drove smooth, smooth steering, great ergonomics for the times. 
In two tone green (both shades were horrid) wood grain sides, green vinyl interior, and the same body lines as a brick, it was NOT a looker!

I think it's Java that is building one just like it (back when his was stock!)

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
7/23/22 9:20 p.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

I was gonna reply to woody that the V70 and 850 wagons are bout the same, and on my "newer" list. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0fN7KbY7aQxv1Z9Tcn9fBkCTusDRUR9Fk5tlPYFgMSZHjpb24oVoWzz0xTh5tFrC