In reply to dj06482 (Forum Supporter) :

Sidewall is a huge factor. 

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
7/24/22 10:28 p.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:
03Panther said:

In reply to ShawnG :

I was gonna reply to woody that the V70 and 850 wagons are bout the same, and on my "newer" list. 

My Dad bought a new 850 GLT in 1996 and that may be the most comfortable car that I've ever been in. 

They tell me the 960 had the most comfortable seats ever. Don't know; despite wanting one (wagon only, of course laugh) I've never even sat in one. Yet. 

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/24/22 10:32 p.m.

Definitely my 2006 Land Rover LR3. It is quieter and more comfortable than the 2022 Grand Cherokee replacing it.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/24/22 10:40 p.m.
03Panther said:
03Panther said:

In reply to ShawnG :

I was gonna reply to woody that the V70 and 850 wagons are bout the same, and on my "newer" list. 

My Dad bought a new 850 GLT in 1996 and that may be the most comfortable car that I've ever been in. 

They tell me the 960 had the most comfortable seats ever. Don't know; despite wanting one (wagon only, of course laugh) I've never even sat in one. Yet. 

Seats are all a matter of personal taste.  To me, certain vintage Mercedes seats feel like sitting on two loosely sprung pieces of wood (AND WHAT IS THAT SMELL) but people in this very thread have professed to like them.

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
7/24/22 11:22 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

At first title read, my thought was "that'll be diverse" for that very reason. And this thread (including my oddball choices!) has proved us right!

Great thread. 

Brake_L8 (Forum Supporter)
Brake_L8 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
7/25/22 9:06 a.m.

2010 Range Rover Supercharged (L322 final facelift) - fast as ffffuuu and the comfiest, quietest car I've owned. Would still have it if it could tow an enclosed trailer with any semblance of grace. That pillowtop air suspension was too soft for the enclosed :-( 

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
7/25/22 9:12 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
03Panther said:
03Panther said:

In reply to ShawnG :

Seats are all a matter of personal taste.  To me, certain vintage Mercedes seats feel like sitting on two loosely sprung pieces of wood (AND WHAT IS THAT SMELL) but people in this very thread have professed to like them.

That was my experience with W123 seats.

Wicked93gs
Wicked93gs Reader
7/25/22 10:50 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
03Panther said:
03Panther said:

In reply to ShawnG :

Certain vintage Mercedes seats? To me all of them feel like sitting on worn-out bed springs....I can't stand them. If I had to judge the car by the seats alone, I would go with a mid-late 90s Pontiac Grand Prix or Grand Am for the most comfortable seats....like a recliner with mild bolstering.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/25/22 1:49 p.m.

Toss up: 1974 Pontiac LeMans or the mid 80s Mercedes 300e with a stick.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Dork
7/25/22 2:06 p.m.

For the cars my family has had its easy a 2000 Cadillac Deville and 1967 Buick Electra 225 convertible 

dlmater
dlmater GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/25/22 2:15 p.m.

For me, without question, is my current 2017 Lincoln Continental with the 30-way adjustable seats.  

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
7/25/22 3:18 p.m.
Indy - Guy said:

Most comfortable seat and driving ergonomics were a 1976 Triumph TR7.

Most comfortable driving dynamics lack of noise/ GT car is my current '01 Jaguar XJR 

We have several in our British car club and the owners all rave about them being comfortable traveling cars.  

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
7/25/22 3:19 p.m.

Mine was my wife's 1991 Lincoln Continental, when it was running properly.  It was a turd otherwise.  

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
7/25/22 6:39 p.m.

My current 2014 Accord EX that I inherited when my wife got a much newer Acura TLX.  By a long shot.

jwagner (Forum Supporter)
jwagner (Forum Supporter) Reader
7/25/22 7:18 p.m.

My brother-in-law had a 1953 Packard.  Big overstuffed wool sofa type seats.   A straight eight so smooth you couldn't tell it was running.  Huge tires with big sidewalls.  The thing was an epic highway cruiser, felt like sitting in grandma's living room rolling down the road.

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
7/25/22 8:24 p.m.

I'm surprised that people didn't like the old Mercedes seats. Maybe it's the condition. 

They will stink if they're rotted under the mb tex.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
7/25/22 10:05 p.m.
spitfirebill said:
Indy - Guy said:

Most comfortable seat and driving ergonomics were a 1976 Triumph TR7.

Most comfortable driving dynamics lack of noise/ GT car is my current '01 Jaguar XJR 

We have several in our British car club and the owners all rave about them being comfortable traveling cars.  

Some folks prefer to have their temperature checked "the baby way".

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
7/25/22 10:10 p.m.

In reply to Wicked93gs :

Grand Prix, pretty good. Grand Am, hard pass!

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
7/25/22 10:12 p.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

HS friend put a high dollar SBC in a 74, back in 79/80 or so. For the look most of my crowd was into, that was one ugly car. Not bad through my  current goggles!

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/25/22 10:14 p.m.

That I've personally owned? A 1997 Chevy Lumina sedan. It felt like a 3/4 sized version of my parents 78 Continental. 

michaeldeng
michaeldeng New Reader
7/26/22 12:40 a.m.

2002 Honda Accord. Not too soft, not too hard - comparable to a medium firm mattress.

RichardNZ
RichardNZ GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/26/22 8:11 a.m.

Most comfortable all round was my MY10 Outback, nice seats, nice ride, easy to get in and out of. Distinguished mention to my ST 170 Focus Mk1 with the half leather Recaro seats. Pain in the butt to get in and out of but once in and the belts snugged up it was great.

Sonic
Sonic UberDork
7/26/22 9:10 a.m.

I think it was my CLS63.  It just fit me perfectly, the right mix of comfort and support, and you could drive all day and feel practically refreshed when done.  Close second is our E400 and Escalade.  

twowheeled
twowheeled Reader
7/26/22 10:26 a.m.
BlueInGreen - Jon said:

Not necessarily the most luxurious, just straight up the the most physically comfortable.

I kinda miss the 96 Grand Caravan I had for a bit. Cloth seats and something about the seating position, the way the driver seat was worn in just the most perfect way... That was when I was working for the floor company, beating myself up carrying maple around all day for gym floors. Sliding into that old van at the end of the work day was good.

same with my kia minivan. the cloth seats, generous foam, and position are the most comfortable ever. So much so I've put one of the rear captains chairs in the spare room as a reading chair much to my wife's dismay. A big factor is leg room around the knees to shift positions on those long haul drives. Second was my oldsmobile aurora due to the adjustability of the seats. 

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
7/26/22 10:39 a.m.

2000 Z24. I know, Cavalier, but they have the most comfortable seats, they fit me just like they're made for my body.

When I had a 180km/day commute, I had one.  Lowered on 17's with a few mods, that thing was way faster than it should have been and just ate up those highway miles

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
K9Q7G8aqWXP7EAxgcoK2Ertc9GH4uQ5dCFCTMZTwS5GCxJmxtOThFIr0wIIE7HpW