1 2
fidelity101
fidelity101 SuperDork
12/22/14 2:26 p.m.

3/3

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
12/22/14 2:32 p.m.

I've been keeping it at 3 the last few years.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy SuperDork
12/22/14 3:22 p.m.

I'm actually a little weirded out right now about only having plates and insurance on 8 cars and a motorcycle, down from the usual 12 or so. Since we started keeping our plates a couple of years ago I have 5 or 6 sets that I can put on a new car when/if I get one.

carbon
carbon Dork
12/22/14 4:48 p.m.

6 cars three bikes at the moment.

TeamEvil
TeamEvil HalfDork
12/22/14 5:05 p.m.

I went from six to one this past month, still scared for some reason. Like I'm gonna need a plate and transferable registration at a moments notice and I won't have one.

I've averaged five/six ongoing registrations forever, not sure about this new tack at all ! ! !

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
12/22/14 5:47 p.m.

I think the most cars i have ever had insured at one time was 3 unless i hit 4 for a couple of days one time or something like that.

Right now i have 5 fully drivable cars at my house that i shuffle insurance between. The only car that's actually at my house and not usable as a normal car is just because it has no muffler until i order one and since it doesnt have turbo yet it's absurdly loud. I have 2 more fully driveable cars at my parents' property and everything else needs some fairly major work.

I've had over 10 cars for most of the past decade but i dont think i've ever had more than ~5 fully usable cars at any one time.

dropstep
dropstep Reader
12/22/14 6:01 p.m.

7 was the most i ever had legally on the road at one time. right now its 3 with a 4th on storage insurance

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/22/14 6:35 p.m.

2 years ago it was the belair, impala, chevelle, c20, c1500, c3500, astro van, and rendezvous all road worthy/plated/insured. that's gotta be the most i've had at one time because crap is usually broken, and i've cut down on the amount of trucks i have around by having quality over quantity.

Adrift
Adrift Reader
12/22/14 7:20 p.m.

Highest was 5.5 (the 94 vette is split with my brother) and a 18ft openbow with trailer all registered insured and running. The boat is gone and my goal is to lose 1.5 in 15. Only one is newer than 2004.

MINIzguy
MINIzguy Reader
12/22/14 9:23 p.m.

Between my parents and I, we have 4 licensed and insured. It seems overkill since my dad got laid off last summer so he barely drives anywhere but to the store and my mom just drives a few miles a day to her job.

We've had at one point was 4 BMW's and 1 Honda. Excessive since 2 of them were "mine". Now we still have 3 BMW's, 1 Honda and 1 Ford. The Ford is not licensed or insured. I keep my BMW at school in St. Louis and my Ford will stay parked until the spring when both my cars go up for sale.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
12/23/14 8:24 p.m.
It seems overkill since my dad got laid off last summer so he barely drives anywhere but to the store

I know in my state and locality an older person with a decent driving record can keep a car registered/inspected/liability-insured for as little as ~$300/yr. No problem at all when you only have a few.

Meanwhile my liability-only car insurance goes up $35-50/mo every time i add a car even though i can only be liable for driving one car at a time anyway, and im constantly on the website shuffling cars around.

I did a little math and found out that if i gave in to the insurance racket and just kept all my cars insured at all times i would spend over $7k/yr on it. LIABILITY ONLY. Which, to be honest, is substantially under-insured in the case of a few of my cars.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 SuperDork
12/23/14 10:04 p.m.

A couple years ago I had a 95 F150, 99 Miata, 04 RX8, 10 Sonata, 70 Opel GT running, registered and insured with 63 Midget & 80 XS650 not running or registered. I've since sold the F150, still have the rest in the same condition. So, the most was 5 running and 2 not.

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy Reader
12/23/14 10:40 p.m.

The last time I had all of my vehicles on the road at the same time had to be over ten years ago, when I bought my house. My wife and I cycled through four cars then. Right now I'm at 4 out of 5 street cars. '92 Galant VR4, '95 Miata, '04 Titan, '14 Sienna running, '05 Legacy GT Wagon getting an engine rebuild. I also have Starion Lemon's car that can't be driven on the street.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JXTpCR94iOdy0GqdDklgLqLP9ePfmxlj2JV1biIWyUg07NgmKehpYA4YHA8zgfhX