1 2
SkyNoLimits8
SkyNoLimits8 New Reader
8/10/23 8:49 p.m.

There is not "just one" position that's more important. Events can't happen without a team. Could you have an event without a starter? Maybe. Without someone in timing? Definitely not. But what about cones, someone has got to replace them. Grid mayyyyybe could run itself, but doubtful. So I'd say no event can run without everyone to get it done.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
8/11/23 10:47 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I still remember the old grump I worked a corner with at rallycross nationals in 2014, all "huh these kids think this is racing, this isn't really racing".  And I thought how much did this old fart pay in entry fee, hotel, travel, etc to be this grumpy for 3 days?  I mostly went to hang out with you guys and meet new people, I sure as hell didn't go to compete.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
8/11/23 11:19 a.m.

Really, if you're talking SCCA autocrosses, then Safety Steward is the most important position. You literally cannot have an event without them. People can substitute for other positions, but you don't have certified Safety Stewards, it's over before it started.

I would say course designer is probably the one that has the most effect on the event though. Events, and sometimes even entire regions, are either despised or fondly remembered based on how well designed the course is.

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
8/11/23 11:27 a.m.
ChrisTropea said:

I really enjoyed being a corner worker this past weekend at the Daytona event. Sure it was hot, but it was a lot of fun standing...  

Ah, the enthusiasm of youth...

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/11/23 12:23 p.m.
kb58 said:
ChrisTropea said:

I really enjoyed being a corner worker this past weekend at the Daytona event. Sure it was hot, but it was a lot of fun standing...  

Ah, the enthusiasm of youth...

Although I’ll add that working corners with a 20-something will definitely get you pumped about the sport–the eagerness is just so palpable. 

fidelity101
fidelity101 UberDork
8/11/23 2:10 p.m.

catering

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zL3z7PhJ6pr02PiuLlzFXpoXICAsfqijy1Yki2A9aKkkRLx5eKDwz4tB4LUXwM2J