tr8todd
tr8todd Reader
8/18/11 8:19 p.m.

What do you guys think of this? Someone with tire mounting equipment should test this out. http://aircooledtech.com/tools-on-the-cheap/balancing_beads/

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
8/18/11 8:24 p.m.

This is interesting, why would it work/not work?

I am not sure how this is effective please explain it to me.

Taiden
Taiden HalfDork
8/18/11 8:40 p.m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-XHfrIGvoI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq263AYgyYg

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
8/18/11 9:00 p.m.

People on the bike forums use them with success.

Taiden
Taiden HalfDork
8/18/11 9:02 p.m.

The cool thing is they balance everything. This includes your brake rotor, wheel bearing, lug nuts, studs etc.

skruffy
skruffy SuperDork
8/18/11 10:03 p.m.
website said: Many tire shops do not have separate charges for mounting/balancing, so of they don't have to balance the tires they'll mount them for free

lol, mounting the tire is the part that's hard, not balancing it.

donalson
donalson SuperDork
8/18/11 11:10 p.m.
skruffy wrote:
website said: Many tire shops do not have separate charges for mounting/balancing, so of they don't have to balance the tires they'll mount them for free
lol, mounting the tire is the part that's hard, not balancing it.

you wouldn't know that based on how often they screw it up.

didn't we have this thread a few months back?... I like the idea...

also from what i've read the bead balancing will maintain balance though out the life of the tire... which is a reason truckers use them.

purplepeopleeater
purplepeopleeater Reader
8/19/11 6:37 a.m.

Only problem is they don't work that well & if you get water in your tires they don't work at all.

Taiden
Taiden HalfDork
8/19/11 6:50 a.m.
purplepeopleeater wrote: Only problem is they don't work that well & if you get water in your tires they don't work at all.

True.

On that note, I always wondered if you could use silica gel to balance tires.

iceracer
iceracer SuperDork
8/19/11 9:00 a.m.

Always the skeptic, I put them in the same catagory as torque sticks.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
8/19/11 9:13 a.m.
purplepeopleeater wrote: Only problem is they don't work that well & if you get water in your tires they don't work at all.

They don't work that well? How so? I'm just curious, as they do sound too good to be true, but the guy in the first link sure thinks they work well.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
8/19/11 9:16 a.m.

I assume that if the tire only needs 2 oz and you put in 3.5, that the extra beads are dispursed correctly to keep the tire balanced? And if the weight needed to balance it out is more than what you put in, then you won't be fully balanced?
In theory, this should work, but I would think there would be some periods of loss of balance, like hitting pot holes or bumps. What happens when the beads hit the flat part of the tire at the surface of the road?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/19/11 12:23 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: I assume that if the tire only needs 2 oz and you put in 3.5, that the extra beads are dispursed correctly to keep the tire balanced? And if the weight needed to balance it out is more than what you put in, then you won't be fully balanced?

Sounds right to me.

I think I'll try this when I put new tires on the Samurai, I often have imbalances caused by stuck on gravel and mud. I'll just dump a good amount of beads in.

The only thing I'm worried about is wear on the inside of the tire, but the sammy goes through tires too fast for that to be an issue.

Taiden
Taiden HalfDork
8/19/11 1:21 p.m.

It's healthy to be skeptical. I believe that they work and I think it's a fantastic idea. That said, I won't run them on any of my vehicles.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Reader
8/19/11 4:31 p.m.

There is a product called equal that some people swear by in class 8 trucks. I prefer the Centramatics that mount between the hub and wheel. I've seen the meSs that the drop in stuff makes when you introduce moisture to the mix. I am not interested in that.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/19/11 4:39 p.m.

I don't know enough to have an opinion on whether this would or wouldn't work, but there are two differences between some balls in the tire and the centramatic setup that seem like they could be important:

• There is a damping fluid in the Centramatic ring

• The balls in the Centramatic run in a ring with a smooth interior contour, not a tire with a textured carcass interior and a deformation where it hits the road.

If the balls more or less try to distribute themselves to where they are needed, that would have them trying to settle into fixed locations relative to the tire. I have a hard time thinking that they wouldn't "bounce" (maybe the quotes aren't even needed; it might be a plain ol' literal bounce) when they came around to the contact patch and the spot they were sitting on deformed inward. Doesn't seem like it would contribute to consistency.

Or maybe the centrifugal force is enough to keep the weights pinned through the deformation. Just thinking it through...

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/19/11 5:55 p.m.

GRM test?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
g8ncoIP9tB1bgfWyCBApqrMXUBZRmSHYKmSwD6MsvJyO34CzE3p0pckPI0ZxbQSn