1 2 3 4
t25torx
t25torx HalfDork
6/20/14 6:23 p.m.

Well gents I think I call this one done now. It's been a long time in the shop, due to that nasty engine failure, but it's sorted out right now with over 100 miles on the engine swap and seems to be running fine. I did get a CEL the other day for a misfire on cylinder 4, so I have to change the coil out with one from the other car and we'll probably be good to go. So here's the rundown on the project.

I bought this clean but tired out Celica with a non-running engine for just $2000 quid. After getting it back to the shop (my garage) I went about diagnosing that no-start, turns out the compression was low due to a shoddy rebuild. After much searching, a suitable doner car was found and purchased for another $2200 quid.

The engine was swapped out for the good engine, but it wasn't a straight plug and play deal, the DBW system from the newer car had to be retrofitted to the older engine, which meant the whole intake manifold, throttle body, knock sensor, and wiring harness from the new engine had to be swapped over. But that process went by quickly and without a hitch. After that it was simply a matter of mating the new engine to the transmission, and setting it back in the car. Connecting a few connectors and doing up a few bolts, and she was ready to turn over.

Before starting her up, she was treated to an engine oil change, new transmission oil, and new Toyota pink coolant.

With a turn of the key all that hard work payed off, the engine fired on the first turn, and ran great. So with that bit sorted, it was time to move on to the other parts of the car needing attention.

Those red accents in the interior, were really dragging down that lovely black leather cockpit, those parts were swapped out in favor of the factory black pieces form the donor car, and some polish and elbow grease got that face and white paint off the dash board. The rear hatch struts were swapped with good units from the donor car, and the package shelf retainer chords were fixed with some electrical connectors. To top it all off a new set of OEM floor mats were purchased on eBay and installed.

Turning my attention to the outside, the headlights were polished up to get rid of the dingy dull yellowing. The lower rocker panel plastics were swapped out for the nicer units from the donor car, and the traded paint on the rear bumper cover was removed with some rubbing compound and a good mopping. A missing roof trim piece was sourced form our donor car and the last bit was swapping out a couple of the wheels from the donor car, as one was missing it's center cap, and another had some fairly rough curb damage.

So in total, there was: * Blue Celica - $2000 * Silver Celica - $2200 * Fluids - $75 * Exhaust Gasket - $12 * Other parts from donor car = Free

Which brings us up to $4287. Now I can probably recover the complete cost of the Silver car by parting it out, and selling the head and other parts from the bad engine. But right now the car owes me almost $4300. I'm going to be a bit cheeky and price it out at $6500 on Craigslist and eBay and see if I get any bites, I checked previous sales on eBay and they range from $3000 to $10,000. So I think mine is priced right at $6500 since it's so clean and runs so nice, but the proof is in the pudding so here's the pics of the finished car.

So that't almost it for this episode, I'll be glad to close this one out when I sell it on, and hopefully put a little coin in my pocket. I will be a little said though to let this one go, I wanted one of these when they came out in 2000, but just graduating from highschool as a broke teen they were way out of my price range, so having one now has been a great experience and this thing handles awesome.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/20/14 6:26 p.m.

I am so happy to see that this one turned out well! Looks sharp.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/20/14 7:01 p.m.

Fantacic! Looks good. I would polish up the engine, swap the worn shift knob and try to clean up the rust in the spare well and to get top dollar (quid)

t25torx
t25torx HalfDork
6/22/14 3:47 p.m.
bgkast wrote: Fantacic! Looks good. I would polish up the engine, swap the worn shift knob and try to clean up the rust in the spare well and to get top dollar (quid)

Cleaned up the spare tire well today, just for you (:P. Those factory shift knobs are super expensive and hard to find so I'm just going to leave this one, and I don't feel right putting a cheapy aftermarket one on there. I'll give the engine bay another going over tomorrow when I get off work and get it a little sharper looking.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/22/14 5:35 p.m.

Clean enough to eat off of! Too bad this wasn't available a few months ago when I was looking at these.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/22/14 5:54 p.m.

Nice job.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
6/22/14 5:56 p.m.

I still want one of these.

lnlds
lnlds Reader
6/22/14 7:19 p.m.

I'd recommend you try posting it up on forums (newcelica.org and celicahobby.com) and see if you get any bites there. Clean ones are harder and harder to come by. What kind of mileage dose the odometer read? Depending on the odometer and whether you're disclosing the engine swap you could probably get a little more for it.

edit: Just saw that it has 130k on it. I think you could probably list it for 6.8-7.5k for some wiggle room depending on how ambitious you're feeling. Reference: http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=356207

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
6/23/14 10:43 a.m.

Great job there, Mr. Torx. Quality of work worthy of Edd China himself.

I could never figure out why there are two d's in his name.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/23/14 10:50 a.m.

Nice work!

dculberson
dculberson UberDork
6/23/14 10:59 a.m.

Great job! If you were closer I would buy some 2zz swap parts off you! Silly Florida, why can't you be farther north?

ssswitch
ssswitch Reader
6/23/14 11:49 a.m.

Very nicely done car. I'm glad you were able to reverse the owners' stupid mods.

trigun7469
trigun7469 HalfDork
6/23/14 12:14 p.m.

That is a crakin motor

t25torx
t25torx HalfDork
6/23/14 2:23 p.m.
dculberson wrote: Great job! If you were closer I would buy some 2zz swap parts off you! Silly Florida, why can't you be farther north?

I get cheap shipping through my work dude, what do you need?

carbon
carbon HalfDork
6/23/14 6:04 p.m.

Threadjack:

Dculberson, I've still got that 2zz for sale if you need one. I'll even throw in the monkeywrench 2zz/spyder motormount.

dculberson
dculberson UberDork
6/24/14 10:02 a.m.

I essentially need the transmission, wiring harness, ecu, everything that's still usable and 2zz specific. The parts car is a 6-speed car, right? I doubt it will work for me due to shipping costs, but it's worth a shot.

racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
6/24/14 11:06 a.m.

Very nice! Like I said before, I have a soft spot for these cars. To me, it's the best handling FWD car out there.

t25torx
t25torx HalfDork
6/24/14 11:27 a.m.
dculberson wrote: I essentially need the transmission, wiring harness, ecu, everything that's still usable and 2zz specific. The parts car is a 6-speed car, right? I doubt it will work for me due to shipping costs, but it's worth a shot.

Yep it's a 6 speed car, Tell you what, shoot me an email with a list of items and I'll get you teh price for everything. Rather sell it to a fellow GRMer than some chucklehead on another forum. email is aarivers71 AT gmail dot com

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
6/24/14 2:01 p.m.

Can you update us when you sell the car and parts? I'd love to know how this worked out for you.

t25torx
t25torx HalfDork
6/25/14 11:44 a.m.
DrBoost wrote: Can you update us when you sell the car and parts? I'd love to know how this worked out for you.

Oh you bet. I'll keep it updated as it all pans out (or doesn't )

t25torx
t25torx HalfDork
8/21/14 9:01 a.m.

Oh Happy Day!

The car has gone on to it's new owner. I hope it brings a coat because it's getting shipped off to Canada, which is funny because that's where the Silver car came from.

After trying to sell it on eBay, Craigslist, and Newcelica.org I finally got an interested party from the ad at newcelica.org. We due to the misfire in cylinder 4 I could never iron out we settled on $5000 US for it. Money was sent, car is delivered to it's holding area down here till they can come down to drive it back.

So while not the windfall I was hoping for it's nice to see this car getting a new owner and living on for another day. I won't be quitting my day job just yet it seams.

I am still selling parts from the Silver Celica so I'm probably looking at close to a $3k profit from this flip once I get my butt in gear and take pictures of all the parts for ebay, but here's the totals so far.

• Blue Celica -$2000
  • Silver Celica -$2200
  • Fluids -$75
  • Exhaust Gasket -$12
  • Side skirts, roof trim, under hood plastics, interior peices, from donor car = Free

Total = $4287

Now for the good part. Receiving the monies.

• Blue Celica +$5000
  • C60 Transmission +$580
  • Scrap Value of Silver Celica +$200
  • Various small parts sold +$120

Total (so far) = $5900 for a total profit of $1613!

I'll continue to update this as more parts sell. I still have 5 GTS wheels, A good 2ZZGE head, and other parts left over so like I said I expect it to be closer to $3000 in profit.

Thanks for joining me on this episode and stay tuned for my next car, a 2001 BMW 525i.

trigun7469
trigun7469 HalfDork
8/21/14 3:04 p.m.

Nice work

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
8/21/14 3:16 p.m.

I have enjoyed following along.
Looking forward to the 525i

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/21/14 7:20 p.m.

Woot! That's a good haul, even considering all the work that had to go into it.

johndej
johndej Reader
8/22/14 6:59 a.m.

I'm a few hours late but

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3aXC5zNnxcynvRbFGNByiJmC3McgAmTbNNGsf0ueBPVQn0dRfTZEKQPaBL9UeCLB