1 2
Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/13/18 8:48 a.m.

Having a dilemma of the heart.

lots of you know about my 1954 Belair.  It’s my first car, and I never intend to get rid of it.  My dilemma is i’ve always wanted it to be 2 things it wasn’t.  A 2 door, and rust free.  Both quarters, all 4 doors, and the panel below the trunk are made of bondo.  The roof is buckled in several spots from probably young stupid me climbing on it when it was just that beat up old car in dad’s barn.  

I’ve come across a rust free southern 2 door version, blasted to bare and primed.  It would take swapping the original shell and doors out for the 2 door shell.  Keeping my original chassis because i pretty much nailed it with the suspension when i put it together.  Reusing original front end, as much of the chrome as possible, the paperwork, the seats, wiring, the dash, the glass, etc from my original shell.  

Financially and logically this makes so much sense.  The 2 door body is less than buying patch panels and having the extra doors i got years ago blasted, and it would save hundreds of hours of bodywork labor, the absolute worst kind of labor.   But is it the same car?  I’m having a hard time talking myself into it still being “my car” 

Dirtydog
Dirtydog GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/13/18 8:55 a.m.

In my opinion, FWIW, you would be making it into "your car"..  And it would still have the heart of the original.  You would still be riding on fond memories.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
5/13/18 9:00 a.m.

I agree with Dirtydog. It doesn't make sense to keep the things you like the least about it. You would be transforming the car you currently own into "your car". Doo eet.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/13/18 9:10 a.m.

That is always a question when it comes to modifying cars - at what point has the car been changed so much it is no longer the same car?

It's really a personal decision and dependent on your own goals. 

Is NOHOME's Molvo really an 1800ES anymore or just V8 Miata wrapped in a different body?  Project Binky may be similar - an AWD Celica wrapped with a Mini body. 

frenchyd
frenchyd SuperDork
5/13/18 9:11 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

I agree,  the frame suspension running gear etc are all “ yours” You can keep the interior bumpers etc.  and etc. 

Weight percentage you are keeping 75% of your car and getting rid of the undesirable parts of your car you don’t like.   If you really want to keep the old rusty bits until common sense dope slaps you and you can haul them to the recycle yard to become a few new fenders 

All in favor say Aye!  

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
5/13/18 9:20 a.m.

It is the same car if you say it is.  If you say it is often enough, you will eventually believe it.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
5/13/18 9:24 a.m.

It will depend on the title laws where you live.  Does the title go with the serial number on the chassis or the serial number on the body?

wae
wae SuperDork
5/13/18 9:24 a.m.

That's a question as old as old as the Greeks.   https://yandoo.wordpress.com/2013/08/17/theseuss-paradox/

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/13/18 9:44 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

It sounds like you’re concerned about “abandoning” the history & heritage of the exiting body, so set it the back yard & let the kids climb all over it just like you did, and use the southern 2-door shell to build the car you want. 

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh HalfDork
5/13/18 9:46 a.m.

People in "the hobby" are building "authentic original" cars out of number plates and year one chassis(es). My first Fairmont, a 1 of 54 original 302/4-speed 2-door sedan, is a complete rust bucket. I fully intend to do a body swap restoration, and it will be the same car to me. My brother disagrees, but thinks that I should cut the good parts out of the good body, and weld them to the original one. 

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
5/13/18 10:17 a.m.

As long as there is continuity to the history, then it is the "Same Car".  And by "same car" I mean "Your car".

Think of yourself in the distant future sitting around the campfire with the great grandkids and saying " let me tell you the history of me and that old Belair".  The tub swap would just be a chapter in a story that leads back to the day it choose you as its curator. So go ahead and tub-swap the Belair since it seems like the best bet to ensure that the story stays interesting.

The Molvo? It's meant to be an enigma. It is rare that we refer to it as the Volvo anymore since it has mentally become the MOLVO and those that are not in the know are left to figure it out.

Pete

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/13/18 10:17 a.m.
wae said:

That's a question as old as old as the Greeks.   https://yandoo.wordpress.com/2013/08/17/theseuss-paradox/

I think that any paradox should be defined by what the individual takes out of it.

This morning after breakfast, I turned on the Formula 1 race. I watched the pre-race grid walk and the start. There was a wreck on the first lap and the Safety Car came out. While they cleaned up the track, I started looking at my phone. At some point, I noticed that they were racing again. I watched it up to about lap 44 and then I went upstairs to take a shower. When I came back down, Hamilton was about ten seconds from crossing the finish line.

Did I watch the Formula 1 race? I saw the start and the finish, and most of what happened in between (define "most"; quantity? quality? something else?).

But did I "Watch the Race"? I guess so. I feel like I did. Am I satisfied with my Formula 1 experience for the day? Sure...okay.

Patrick
5/13/18 10:32 a.m.

Well, i am now bidding on the 2 door shell.  I’m hoping the lack of paperwork keeps the price down.  I’m not concerned with that.  

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/13/18 10:42 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Goof choice. 

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/13/18 10:43 a.m.

Snailmont nailed it. This is a body swap of the same car. It would be the same car if you swapped the skin over to something else (a-la Molvo). It would be the same car if you had to weld the back half of another car on it. 

Please feel free to justify in any way you like, just make yourself happy.

Google result for VIN Swap:

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/13/18 10:50 a.m.

If they can pull a crushed P-38 out of 200 feet of Greenland ice, rebuild/replace damn near everything, and still call it the same P-38, why can't you do the the same with the 54? 

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
5/13/18 11:11 a.m.

Just look at it like the English do...."it's the same car, it's just been reshelled".

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/13/18 12:47 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Exactly!

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/13/18 2:07 p.m.
wae said:

Good reference, I thought of the ship of Theseus as soon as I saw the title. 

I vote for the body replacement, too.

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera HalfDork
5/13/18 3:24 p.m.

Jerry Seinfeld paid $3.6 million for a Porsche that won Daytona 24hr in 1968.  The only parts that were in that race are a bit of chassis tubing with the serial number and the original rear plexiglass window.  The rest was replicated in the 1990s and scrounged parts from other cars.  The car is now being reconstructed again.  So, providing everyone agrees that the emperor's new clothes look good...

In reality, it's only original once and it sounds like rust has already taken away a large portion of the car and it's not really what you want anyway.  Buy the new one and use what you can from the old one and given it the honor of being a selfless organ donor.

Patrick
5/13/18 4:53 p.m.

It’s already far from original.  The frame rails are as is most of the body.  Nothing electrical or mechanical is except the speedometer.  It has a small block, th350, 10 bolt rear, and i’ve been itching to turbo ls swap it because of the acreage under the hood.  

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/13/18 6:06 p.m.
Patrick said:

It’s already far from original.  The frame rails are as is most of the body.  Nothing electrical or mechanical is except the speedometer.  It has a small block, th350, 10 bolt rear, and i’ve been itching to turbo ls swap it because of the acreage under the hood.  

And it will make a great build thread!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
5/13/18 6:30 p.m.

You have heard the story of the duster, also my first car.

Its finally becoming what i always wanted it to be. The only parts left fromwhen i got it is the rood, passengers side door, and front framework. Its still the same car, but not. The memories remain of its previous versions, but each new version builds its own.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/13/18 6:50 p.m.

I have had this issue and I am not sure this is going to make sense but it is about the feel of the car. Is the soul of the car still there. 

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/13/18 8:41 p.m.
dean1484 said:

I have had this issue and I am not sure this is going to make sense but it is about the feel of the car. Is the soul of the car still there. 

This is most certainly true!

Same truck? I like to think so. The only pice of metal that hasn't been replaced or modified in some way is the wiper cowl. It is still the same truck, my truck.

I can even go a step further:

I bought this frame and fork several years ago during a nostalgic eBay trip. It is the same year(single year paint schemes) as the bike I bought at age 14 with yard mowing money. Serial number is only a couple off from my old paperwork. I built the 'new' F/F up with all the parts I wanted as a 15yo and couldn't afford. I bought nice used parts and assembled it as a survivor quality build with a couple NOS bits.

It hangs on the wall in my shop; still 'my bike' from my teenage years.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
s2AVpO4DtkkqGNg0t9KghlDD6dWT8jbc5yI3MajVUk50cJ0DbMnISkOo48n89VBV