m_walker26
m_walker26 New Reader
1/21/15 12:59 p.m.

I can't find a replacement for a Tee that is leaking on the Land Rover. The T fits on the upper radiator hose and allows two hoses to connect. It's 1and 1/8 inch inside diameter. What's the collective wisdom on using a piece of PVC to replace the cracked T? I can get a PVC T that will work, I just don't want it to melt due to heat. I have hot water in the house and some PVC piping but I'm just unsure of the application. Thanks for the help.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
1/21/15 1:02 p.m.

> When does PVC Melt?

When you warm the cockles of it's heart.

I wouldn't use ordinary drain type PVC for that because of it getting brittle with age/heat - but copper fittings work fine.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/21/15 1:07 p.m.

When it gets too hot.

The data I have says 140°F max temp for PVC and 200°F for CPVC.

I would use a brass tee.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Reader
1/21/15 1:19 p.m.

could you just clean up the tee fitting thats on there and use some kind of jb weld or metal filler to seal the crack? and i also vote for some kind of brass/metal tee

m_walker26
m_walker26 New Reader
1/21/15 1:32 p.m.

Brass tee is the winner. On our way to Lowe's. Thanks for the help

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/21/15 2:06 p.m.

What kind of Land Rover? Sounds like the upper hose on a Disco II.

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas Dork
1/21/15 4:02 p.m.

Yeah, a PVC elbow was nearly the death of my EJ22. Got soft, slipped out of the hose clamps. Go brass or go home.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/21/15 5:37 p.m.

x3 on brass. we used pvc to temporarily plumb the upper radiator hose on the belair when i was 16 to get it fired and dial in the timing and carb. it was insanely shaped, short, and rubber would not make those quick compound bends. 15 minutes in the pvc melted and blew up. next permanent iteration was made from galvanized steel nipples and 90* elbows.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RGhHwc4epzk2dfxIYu0Xho7Ga5CKdtGieIcjNDIdzCRoej1VF8K7geoQW5RSYsGp