1 2 3 ... 8
bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
8/19/13 3:18 p.m.

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/19/13 3:54 p.m.

...for some reason that picture makes me Grumpy....

I was always a big Dyno Don fan though.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
8/19/13 4:09 p.m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai3cnc-77ZE

at 6:03 he's going through the gears and smoking a cigar. another item that makes me ask; we could do that back in the day? LOL

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
8/19/13 4:54 p.m.

8/19/13 4:59 p.m.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
8/19/13 5:19 p.m.

In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker:

They'd be subjects of a law suite now.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
8/19/13 6:24 p.m.
Datsun310Guy wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai3cnc-77ZE at 6:03 he's going through the gears and smoking a cigar. another item that makes me ask; we could do that back in the day? LOL

Watching him shift reminded me of a sticker Hurst had: 'Shift as hard as you want but don't break your arm.'

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/19/13 8:01 p.m.

no seatbelt either

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
8/19/13 8:52 p.m.

Take everything said here an apply it to this pic:

We miss you, Grump.

irish44j
irish44j UberDork
8/19/13 9:19 p.m.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte Dork
8/19/13 9:20 p.m.

TuffKustomers, oughta be a thread I'm tellin ya.

novaderrik
novaderrik UberDork
8/19/13 9:52 p.m.

there's gotta be a pic of it out there somewhere, but i remember when i started watching NASCAR back in the late 80's you'd see the gas man standing there waiting for the car to stop with a cigarette in his mouth and the full gas can up on his shoulder- most likely calming his nerves with a smooth Winston cigarette..

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
8/19/13 9:54 p.m.

I know there's multiple stories of drivers out there that had lighters in their cars so they could burn one while turning a lap.....

novaderrik
novaderrik UberDork
8/19/13 10:28 p.m.
mndsm wrote: I know there's multiple stories of drivers out there that had lighters in their cars so they could burn one while turning a lap.....

Dick Trickle during caution laps..

not that smoking is necessarily "manly"... but it is kind of cool to see stuff like that.. it's like looking back to a time when everyone had just a little more freedom to just be themselves and do whatever they wanted as long as they weren't hurting anyone..

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
8/20/13 12:14 a.m.

Ace Adolph Galland had a lighter installed on his ME-109 so he could smoke. He also had a hole in his mask, so he could smoke-at altitude-on oxygen!

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Reader
8/20/13 12:31 a.m.

... and sheep were scared?

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
8/20/13 7:13 a.m.

racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
8/20/13 7:21 a.m.
novaderrik wrote: there's gotta be a pic of it out there somewhere, but i remember when i started watching NASCAR back in the late 80's you'd see the gas man standing there waiting for the car to stop with a cigarette in his mouth and the full gas can up on his shoulder- most likely calming his nerves with a smooth Winston cigarette..

When we started in NASCAR in 1999, the fuel guy that dispensed your fuel for your weekend chained smoked, even in the fueling cage.

we also wore fire suits on pit lane and everyone laughed at us. What did a bunch of road race guys know! Now they all have to doit. Back then a NASCAR race wouldn't have met a SCCA regional minimum safety specs!

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
8/20/13 7:23 a.m.

8/20/13 7:38 a.m.

slefain
slefain UltraDork
8/20/13 7:39 a.m.

I'll play:

The original "I'll be back"

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/20/13 7:51 a.m.

Sorry, but smoking doesn't make you a man, it makes you an idiot. Cancer, bad breath, filth, grey film on everything, ash...no thanks.

8/20/13 7:57 a.m.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
8/20/13 8:02 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: Sorry, but smoking doesn't make you a man, it makes you an idiot. Cancer, bad breath, filth, grey film on everything, ash...no thanks.

+1 - Not the focus of the original post.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
8/20/13 8:04 a.m.

My grandfather was a pro football player in the 20's. No big salary, no padding, and just a leather cap over their heads.

1 2 3 ... 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KLtTAQYbghQKJgspDFD7uwQto6uiLkZHhFQQRpUkXbbS7kWKTTwWpfuPM55n52Ae