1 2 3
ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
11/11/14 4:54 p.m.

Why does it seem like the only cars I have a real passion for make up the GRM Triumverate of Suck?

[URL=http://s265.photobucket.com/user/derekrichardson/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image-85.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s265.photobucket.com/user/derekrichardson/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image-86.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s265.photobucket.com/user/derekrichardson/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image-87.jpg.html][/URL]

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Reader
11/11/14 5:03 p.m.

It wouldn't be passion otherwise - besides, as someone once replied to one of my posts, "have you seen what people on here drive?".

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
11/11/14 5:07 p.m.

I'm on a strict budget (low) and am honestly scared to get in over my head (budget) and getting stranded and unable to get to work IS NOT an option!

Plus, only room for one car!

What do I do???

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
11/11/14 5:11 p.m.

buy a miata

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
11/11/14 5:30 p.m.
amg_rx7 wrote: buy a miata

Seriously... But I have a family to haul around

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/11/14 5:31 p.m.

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
11/11/14 5:36 p.m.
ebonyandivory wrote:
amg_rx7 wrote: buy a miata
Seriously... But I have a family to haul around

Buy an RX8. Basically a 4 seat, 4 door Miata, and it even has the issues you are attracted to!

(you may need to abuse it if you want the level of un-reliability you want)

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs HalfDork
11/11/14 5:36 p.m.

You secretly hate yourself

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
11/11/14 5:40 p.m.

I need 5 shoulder belts.

I need a car that can strand all five of us at once!

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
11/11/14 5:48 p.m.

Back when I was young, poor, and had a strange attraction to British and Italian cars, I bought every cheap parts car I could find, and then pawn, uh, I mean store them at my various friend's houses until I needed a part.

At one point, my buddy and pro challenge driver, Alan McCrispin had something like 5 or 6 of my Fiats and Alfas stashed away at his house.

If you want to drive an unreliable car, you have to be creative, and learn to do most of the work yourself. It helps to have two however, as you can alternate the one that doesn't run.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
11/11/14 6:32 p.m.

I can do most work myself weather-providing.

I keep saying to myself: "are any of these vehicles going to have "I'm stranded" problems or annoying crap like window regulators and sunroof malfunctions".

I can and have dealt with annoying things going wrong. It's the "Hi, it's Derek... I can't make it to work today" stuff I can't afford.

AND WHY ARE THE EDMUNDS CONSUMER REVIEWS SO DAMN GOOD FOR THE GOLF AND DISCOVERY????

XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/11/14 6:57 p.m.

Looks like you need a Saab in there to complete the mix . Funny thing is, I work in a very small department, and between the six of us, we had the complete triumvirate of suck until I sold my GTI a few months ago.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
11/11/14 7:02 p.m.

Have you driven a Mazda 6 or a Mazda 3? They're reliable and they both go zoom-zoom, unlike many of their competitors.

I'm right with you. I bought an E36 and thought, how expensive can it get? I was unlucky, and it got real expensive.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/11/14 7:02 p.m.

Entertaining > Reliability

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/11/14 7:11 p.m.

heh.. I have driven some of the most "unreliable" cars ever.. with very few issues. I am talking fiat 124s, Land Rovers, and Saabs.

I did manage to kill the saab, but not before it almost hit 300,000 miles

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
11/11/14 7:11 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Clutch42:

I own a 2002 Protege5 with MazdaSpeed springs and GR2's, Brembos, B&M short shifter etc.

Gotta sell it for very personal reasons but I was never in love with it.

I have a huge soft-spot for VW, Land Rover and Jaguar. Nothing else really does it for me.

Am I destined to settle? Hey, is that a Camry over there?

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
11/11/14 7:38 p.m.

Get a BMW. The best, and worst, traits of every car on your list all in one.

NGTD
NGTD SuperDork
11/11/14 7:42 p.m.

Get a Volvo 850 or V70 Turbo and quit messing around with all these other ideas.

VW's are okay if you keep the maintenance up, like most European cars. Keep a code reader handy. Mine cost $55.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/11/14 7:52 p.m.

I had an 850 with a 5 speed.. great cars.. lots of get up and go and still decent handling. Just need to watch the timing belt

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
11/11/14 7:55 p.m.

I have a Range Rover, 3 Triumph Stags and even a GTV6, I feel your pain

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
11/11/14 8:04 p.m.

Invariably the cars that are the most fun to drive, and the ones that everyone you know thinks are cool, are the ones that otherwise suck.

When a car is reliable, everyone has one. And that makes that car boring.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
11/11/14 8:06 p.m.
NGTD wrote: Get a Volvo 850 or V70 Turbo and quit messing around with all these other ideas.

I appreciate your response, honestly I do, but you understand why that's never gonna make me happy.

I literally twist my head around or walk over to any Discovery, Jaguar XJ and GTI (or customized Golf) I see.

The notion of getting a car I don't have any interest in sucks. But that's about where I am.

I guess I'm like a woman (is my wife around?) in that I don't want a solution, I just want a shoulder to cry on (unless the solution was a reliable Golf!)

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
11/11/14 8:18 p.m.

Try an Infiniti Q45.
Best years '93 to '95

Opti
Opti Reader
11/11/14 8:29 p.m.

I like to buy horribly unreliable or broken versions of generally reliable cars, haha.

I am also strangely attracted to cars that are expensive when new to buy and maintain and are currently at the bottom of their depreciation curves.

Almost kept the Z28 and just bought a disco to lift and DD.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
11/11/14 8:31 p.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: I need 5 shoulder belts. I need a car that can strand all five of us at once!

Buy 2 1/2 Miatas?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LrojLp2CkeVXbpwfA4Yf1XsBe8syJSK0VgK4ux04mhdIFNqHQ7p2Fjr74UYfkgZa