1 2
Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
1/29/18 11:28 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

I agree. It's just way out of my price range. 

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Dork
1/29/18 11:30 a.m.

The foam grips on grant wheels in your price range don't seem too wear that well, not horrible though. The upside is there are bajillions of them out there and I haven't personally seen one fail where it counts. Like most aftermarket parts most of the problems I've seen have been because of half assed installs.  I would probably go with one of those.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/29/18 11:34 a.m.
MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
1/29/18 12:17 p.m.

I had a secondhand Grant wheel on my C10 project. Rather basic but a tough and well built wheel. I think it was a Classic Series. It had been sitting outdoors on a camper with the roof sawed off for a while before I put it on the car and had held up well to such abuse.

Another possibility - can you get spacers for the Civic wheel? I had a Civic where sewing a WheelSkin to the stock wheel managed to make the problem with the "not thick enough" and "foam detached at the top" non-issues, but it wouldn't solve the other issues.

Tk8398
Tk8398 Reader
1/29/18 12:33 p.m.

I actually have a wheel that came from a fiat that should fit a momo adapter I'd sell for $30 plus shipping. 

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
1/29/18 2:10 p.m.

In reply to Tk8398 :

What's the diameter and dish? Got any pictures? You can pm me through the site if you wish. 

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
1/29/18 3:00 p.m.

I just put a $10 leather cover from Amazon on my Jeep wheel that had torn leather. It turned out amazingly nice. Just thought that might be an option if you found a cheap sunburned wheel in a JY that would fit. The cover was an Aully Park brand - comes in several sizes and colors.

Nugi
Nugi New Reader
1/29/18 3:59 p.m.

I swap the wheel on most cars I own, so here is my biased opinion:

NRG - Best budget wheel, beware, they are very commonly knocked off, so buy legit, not ebay! They have the only reasonably priced quick release that doesen't wobble after a few months. 

Nardi/personal/sparco/momo - all are almost universally great, but in the overpriced range. Look for these used. Do not buy a 50 dollar brand new ebay version, it will be fake.

Grant - Cheapest wheel I would trust. The designs always seem wonky to me, but they work well. Never seen a knockoff.

I think 360mm is perfect for non power cars, but I have gone 320 in a crx and didn't die. I did however, grunt while parking and aquire larger forearms. 

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/29/18 4:07 p.m.

In reply to Nugi :

There were some Grant knock-offs sold by APC, but yeah they are cheap enough that there just doesn't seem to be a lot of copies.  Just copies of Momo/Nardi, etc.

8valve
8valve New Reader
1/29/18 4:08 p.m.

Grant classic for the dish, I like these.  Or GT for not dished.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/29/18 5:22 p.m.

What do we think about driven wheels?

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
1/31/18 1:38 p.m.

Looks like I'm going with Grant. Unfortunately no one around here keeps wheels in stock anymore so I'll be ordering it. I figured I may as well get one if those covers that ultraclyde used to cover the cheap rubber Grant uses for the grip. Probably going with a GT and if necessary Grant sells a 2" extension kit to bring it closer.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ck9uPBaiKBPEwIl8jrjvQy1DjFPQuIcZ4rc1QUs2IMNpcKaBp1bxEpoiPOHGCkj3