Clarty
Clarty New Reader
10/4/14 3:31 a.m.

which one? Why?

Volvo

Ford

We have a '99 Cross Country. It's been a good, but not trouble-free car. Should we try another, or go with a Ford? The Flex is really the only large station-wagon-y car that appeals to me.

NGTD
NGTD SuperDork
10/4/14 8:00 a.m.

We have a 2012 Ford Explorer. The Flex and Ex are built on the same chassis family. We really like it.

I would go Flex

Clarty
Clarty New Reader
10/4/14 9:11 a.m.

Thanks, man.

NGTD
NGTD SuperDork
10/4/14 11:26 a.m.

BTW the Flex chassis is supposedly derived from the Volvo XC90.

The Explorer can quite comfortably take 6 and would take 7.

We have had a couple of recalls and the wiper switch broke just after warranty expired. Seems to wear rear brake pads quicker than fronts. Other than that we have been happy. We have a loaded up XLT with leather. My wife drives it in the winter and I drove it most of this summer after I sold my WRX.

Pulled my 03 Golf on a dolly like it wasn't even there, except on big hills. Flex set up like that should be good for 5K lbs towing but you are supposed to use a weight distributing hitch.

dankspeed
dankspeed HalfDork
10/4/14 11:34 a.m.

My wife has a '12 flex. We love it.

old_
old_ Reader
10/4/14 12:34 p.m.

I believe the volvo has a tendency to eat its transfer case. I'd go with the flex.

Wayslow
Wayslow Reader
10/4/14 1:14 p.m.

I came in here hoping for a thread about which generation of Europa to buy. I'm leaving a bit disappointed.

G8MikeGXP
G8MikeGXP New Reader
10/4/14 3:00 p.m.

I'd say Flex, but that price seems a bit high for the mileage. We bought a Limited with half the miles for only a couple thousand more.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
10/4/14 7:53 p.m.

the thread title got this song in my head:

Mommy, where's Fluffy?

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
10/4/14 8:08 p.m.

volvo link doesn't work. Im a flex fan. Great vehicle....not sure if they had optional engines but the one I drove seemed very powerful and extremely comfortable to drive.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
10/4/14 8:45 p.m.
novaderrik wrote: the thread title got this song in my head: Mommy, where's Fluffy?

That was awesome! I didn't even have to click on the link! I just played last week for my kids workout session music!

Ever hear the Budgie original version? It's pretty good!

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
10/5/14 6:23 a.m.
Wayslow wrote: I came in here hoping for a thread about which generation of Europa to buy. I'm leaving a bit disappointed.

Not as disappointed as I am. I thought we'd have a rollicking discussion about these:

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
10/5/14 5:59 p.m.

Every time I scroll past this thread I think of Metallica singing "Breadfan", but van instead.

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
10/5/14 10:22 p.m.

What about this Breadvan?

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
10/5/14 10:37 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote: Every time I scroll past this thread I think of Metallica singing "Breadfan", but van instead.

the lyrics still work..

Breadvan, open up your mind, open up your purse, Open up your bones, never, never gonna lose it.

Breadvan, take it all away, never give an inch, Gotta make a mint, gotta make me a million.

Breadvan, you got it wrong, some long time friend's Gonna lose it in the end, who's a fool.

Seagull, give it all away, stay a bird, stay a man, Stay a ghost, stay what you wanna be.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG Dork
10/5/14 11:36 p.m.

I was hoping for one of these:

Wayslow
Wayslow HalfDork
10/5/14 11:56 p.m.

My Breadvan

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zfU1zt5zIPdMlfCJgXEdylRn0cLBSrxrtG0Hp7q5ripwUI2IJRNn4ioJlRhs8wBA