wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/18/15 3:19 p.m.

Which one? A newish (probably not new on either car) Mazda Mx-5 PRHT or Mazda 6?

Either would be manual ONLY.

This is replacing a 2006 Mazda 6 4 banger manual.

We have a 4 door silverado to do the "more than 2 people" drives. We drive the truck everywhere we go right now anyway.

My wife is worried about winter. I said the miata will do better in teh snow with winter tires over her current car on all seasons. She may let me have it for the winter. (win-win).

What say you?

Contradiction
Contradiction Reader
3/18/15 3:29 p.m.

I like my 2015 Mazda6 Touring with manual trans a lot. It has enough room inside to actually COMFORTABLY seat an adult in the back seat. The seats are comfortable. The interior is well designed, has decent materials, and looks good. It handles well and even with just the 2.5l skyactiv motor it still have respectable power with 185 hp. Gas mileage is also great. For highway trips I'm getting 400 miles to a tank and 31.5-32 mpg. In town can be as low as 27-28 mpg. My best highway tank was 36.5 mpg for 500 miles when I pushed it to the end of the distance gauge reading. It's about the most fun I think you can have in the dreaded non-luxury "Mid Size" category.

1kris06
1kris06 Reader
3/18/15 3:38 p.m.

Any car will do better on winter tires than all seasons. My car does great in the snow with winter tires (not that we had much snow this season). No issues being lowered ~1 inch either.

As an aside, I didn't see much if any mpg difference between an 06 4cyl atx mazda6 to my current 04 v6 Mazda 6 mtx.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/18/15 4:14 p.m.

What is "PRHT"?

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
3/18/15 4:25 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: What is "PRHT"?

Power Retractable Hard Top

wvumtnbkr
3/18/15 4:26 p.m.

Hokay, PRHT = Power Retractable Hard Top.

2nd, I am not trying to compare which one is better in snow. It was merely a point about the miata doing just fine with winter tires in the snow. (Her current car has all seasons and it does just fine as well)

Please continue!

Thanks!

Rob R.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/18/15 4:57 p.m.

Tks .. .. New acronym for me to absorb

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/18/15 6:14 p.m.

I'd probably take whatever car someone is willing to trade for mine but honestly i would like to hold out for a boat instead.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/18/15 7:21 p.m.

I am gonna with The Answer, but you won't go wrong on either

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
3/18/15 7:25 p.m.

I drove a Miata PRHT through two Michigan winters. No problem with dedicated winter snow tires. In fact it was flat out fun and actually hooked up better than a Jeep Cherokee that I had at the same time on big 31" mudder tires. The only problem was the depth of the snow. Those two winters most of the snowfall was just a few inches at a time. The last two winters we have had here would have stopped it for sure a few times. I would say 5"-6" inches would be about the limit. You could go through deeper but you would be pushing snow with the front end.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
3/18/15 8:04 p.m.

I know I would pick the PRHT. My father has a 2014 Mazda 3 and it's like a hatchback miata albeit FWD.

sanman
sanman HalfDork
3/18/15 8:28 p.m.

If you are going newish, phrt or mazda 3. Get a car with the skyactiv 2.0 with a stick. The 09-14 mazda 6 is a bit of a boat.

Contradiction
Contradiction Reader
3/19/15 2:50 p.m.

I forgot to speak to the winter handling on my '15 so I thought I would chime in on that again. I didn't really drive it in any bad weather with the OEM tires so I can't speak to them but I would say it was a good capable car in the winter with a set of 17" wheels and Blizzaks on it. I was still kicking in traction control from time to time but certainly less so then with the OEM All Seasons on it. I never got into an exceptionally bad storm this year but I would say it handled the average stuff well.

92dxman
92dxman Dork
3/19/15 2:53 p.m.

I'd say you can't go wrong with anything between the 3,6 or CX-5.

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/19/15 3:05 p.m.

I sold a '05 Mazda6i for my current '06 Mazdaspeed6 w/manual & AWD.
It's my DD, but my wife love's it & I've been kicking winters butt for the last two years.

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
3/19/15 3:10 p.m.

Yes to all the mazdas, if MPG is a concern I would look at the 6 harder but this time of year I have a strong feeling you are going to have a miata in the driveway, bonus points for the club edition!

wvumtnbkr
3/19/15 4:37 p.m.

Next question.... should we wait for the new miata?

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UltraDork
3/19/15 5:29 p.m.

Get her this one.....
http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/ctd/4934964031.html

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/19/15 5:55 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr:

New Miata is soft top only for now, so if you want a power hard top go NC.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
3/19/15 6:13 p.m.
DeadSkunk wrote: Get her this one..... http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/ctd/4934964031.html

I want that one tho!

mccormick426
mccormick426 None
3/19/15 8:46 p.m.

The answer for my wife was PRHT, she drove it this winter even with large amounts of snow, albeit for short durations. If it snows too much to drive the answer, she takes our '96 Grand Cherokee.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/19/15 9:04 p.m.

The new Miata is a damn fine looking car....

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ya7y8ZZVvj5xAfkITVDtfSUTCwdEeYld9JpvuOFGqYKD5v0nqg70Pa1DTGv8wxCv