1 2
Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
6/24/13 2:24 p.m.

What do you like cradling you on your drive.

2013 Passat TDi premium, sat in one the other day, loved it!

and Porsche Caymen

Finally Volvo.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UberDork
6/24/13 2:32 p.m.

For a long drive...

Those are the ONLY seats I have found that I can sit in comfortably and painless for 30+ hours at a time.

For short drives and hooning.... anything else.

yamaha
yamaha UberDork
6/24/13 2:33 p.m.

I am partial to the Evo 8 recaro's myself, but I have those in a '91 taurus......and I'm not old and looking for cushioning.

scardeal
scardeal Dork
6/24/13 2:36 p.m.

Favorite seats I've tried so far, 07 350Z.

redhookfern
redhookfern Reader
6/24/13 2:37 p.m.

I always loved the sport seats in my E46, especially my manual ones.

beans
beans Reader
6/24/13 2:49 p.m.

I loved everything on the inside of my '02 RSX.... except for the numb butt after a couple hundred miles of driving. I hear the 05-06 seats are glorious, though.

The seats in a 97-02(?) Jeep Wrangler are amazeballs, as well.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
6/24/13 2:53 p.m.

The 83-85 1/2 Toyota Supra / Celica GTS seats were some of the most comfy I've ever experienced. (yes, the ones with the goofy squeeze-ball to inflate the lumbar support) Too bad they didn't hold up very well over time.

The power Recaros that came on the 88 Jetta GLI were pretty spectacular too! Leather bolsters with mouse-fur like center sections.

t25torx
t25torx Reader
6/24/13 3:03 p.m.

The ones in my GTO were pretty amazing. I drove from Nashville to Ft. Myers in 13 hours and never got the monkey butt. The ones in the Cooper-S and Mazda 3 can't say that.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
6/24/13 3:05 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: For a long drive... Those are the ONLY seats I have found that I can sit in comfortably and painless for 30+ hours at a time. For short drives and hooning.... anything else.

Hey, have you been driving my truck when I'm not looking?

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/24/13 3:10 p.m.

The seats I had in my Cobra were pretty decent. Nice lateral support and were well cushioned but the leather was so damn slick. Your butt would never stay in the seat on fast corners and the black leather would sear your flesh off (it was a convertible) in the summer...

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/24/13 3:18 p.m.

A year or two ago, the original driver's seat in my '87 911 tore along one of the seams. I found a pair of zero mile sport seats that had been removed from a 2004 911 GT3 track car.

I remember reading something in Car and Driver years ago , maybe from Patrick Bedard. He wrote, "Like all Porsche seats, they seem too tight for the first three minutes. Then you realize that they're perfect.

photo GT3001.jpg

• Special note to Bravenrace:

When The Big Day comes, you're not getting these.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
6/24/13 3:49 p.m.

From Ripley's "Believe it or not" the seats in my Chev Astro. I can spend all day in them without back ache. Next best, the Recaros in my 1991 GTI 16V.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
6/24/13 6:28 p.m.

TR7 and FB RX7.

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 HalfDork
6/24/13 6:34 p.m.

'90-'91 CRX Si

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 HalfDork
6/24/13 6:59 p.m.

linxoln mk8 seats. love em. I have a set in my pro-touring duster, and can do 2-300 miles before having to stretch. I have never found another seat that would let me do that, due to my knee and back.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/24/13 7:43 p.m.

Some of my favorites:

• B13 Sentra SE-R. 29 hours straight from OK to CT with no complaints.
  • '92 Mustang GT - very comfortable, I thought these were every bit as good as the E36 Sport Pkg seats that everyone raves about
  • '83 Suburban front and rear bench seats - all day comfortable on camping trips as a teenager
  • Chevy pickup front seats - I loved the front bench in my '94 Silverado.
mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
6/24/13 8:51 p.m.
t25torx wrote: The ones in my GTO were pretty amazing. I drove from Nashville to Ft. Myers in 13 hours and never got the monkey butt. The ones in the Cooper-S and Mazda 3 can't say that.

Strange- I absolutely despise my Cooper S seats to the point I basically refuse to drive that car unless I'm going to hammer the E36 M3 out of it, I didn't find much comfort in the GTO's interior at all, and I bought my ms3 because the seats were wicked comfy. Didn't help that it had 100hp over the mz3 I traded for it.....

I think the winner has to go to the seats in the MKwhatever R32 Golf I drove (the 2nd gen one- whatever was right before the Golf Pirate edition) GODDAMN those were nice. I find I really like VW interiors in general. Sucks that they're wrapped in a VW.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Dork
6/25/13 2:05 p.m.

CopCar Recaros for me....

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltraDork
6/25/13 2:11 p.m.
DeadSkunk wrote: From Ripley's "Believe it or not" the seats in my Chev Astro. I can spend all day in them without back ache. Next best, the Recaros in my 1991 GTI 16V.

Another unlikely favorite: Had a 1989 Chrysler LeBaron with cloth bucket seats that were the best seats I've had for all day drives.

redhookfern
redhookfern Reader
6/25/13 2:23 p.m.

Ohh, I forgot, the seats in my old 1989 Prelude Si. Those were great too, they felt like they were hugging you.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
6/25/13 2:25 p.m.
stanger_missle wrote: The seats I had in my Cobra were pretty decent. Nice lateral support and were well cushioned but the leather was so damn slick. Your butt would never stay in the seat on fast corners and the black leather would sear your flesh off (it was a convertible) in the summer...

I have a set of those in my '65. Just goes to show you that what's comfortable to one isn't to another - I hate them.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
6/25/13 2:26 p.m.
Woody wrote: A year or two ago, the original driver's seat in my '87 911 tore along one of the seams. I found a pair of zero mile sport seats that had been removed from a 2004 911 GT3 track car. I remember reading something in Car and Driver years ago , maybe from Patrick Bedard. He wrote, "Like all Porsche seats, they seem too tight for the first three minutes. Then you realize that they're perfect.  photo GT3001.jpg * Special note to Bravenrace: When The Big Day comes, you're not getting these.

I can live with that.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
6/25/13 2:28 p.m.

Over the years I have found that Pontiac turned out some pretty comfy seats. And my bosses '09 Burb probably rates #1 for the most comfortable long haul seats I've ever experienced.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Dork
6/25/13 2:33 p.m.

In reply to bravenrace:

Not in all Pontiacs.

I had a 96 sunfire, I can see how new they might have been alright, worn in OTOH, not so great. They are initially comfy, then things start aching. A friend described them as the most uncomfortable comfortable seats.

My extremely short lived 98 Bonneville, that had a Lazyboy for a seat, it was hard to stay awake in that car.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
6/25/13 2:43 p.m.

Agreed on 2nd gen CRX Si.

I fell in love with the heated leather in the 2004 TL I drove a while back...though I don't remember them being particularly supportive as far as side-bolsters.

The rental Cruze is pretty comfy, but I'll be damned if I can't figure out how the hell to get the thing to recline. It's got a single adjustment that moves the seat up & down, back and forth, and "Open and closed" if you will, but not a lever specifically to make the seat recline...far as I can tell.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
i3wfioxUv3KpL5IgwZ7yqZuyy4ybl0wUFkFbJ5KwW5wlw0wxx11hK3LXzDiweY55