RossD
RossD MegaDork
6/14/18 8:59 p.m.

So on Amazon they have nibblers that go in the chuck of your drill and they cost between $20 and $40. Most of them look identical. 

Are they worth a damn? I want one for cutting out so sheet metal for making tube amps and ultimately fixing rust on the Renault. Some pretty tight cuts for stuff like this:

I dont have an air compressor up to the task of running a pneumatic tool. Are the more expensive stand alone, pistol grip nibblers the only way to go? 

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Dork
6/14/18 9:19 p.m.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
6/15/18 7:16 a.m.

More like this:

cheeky

I thought we had a thread about these before but I couldn't find it. Morning crowd?

RossD
RossD MegaDork
6/15/18 7:38 p.m.

Am I using the wrong name? Terrible thread title? Everyone is already onto Fathers Day events? Bueller?

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
6/15/18 8:49 p.m.

I have an air nibbler.  It works.  Makes a hell of a mess, though.  If you don't have a proper air compressor and they make an all-in-one electric unit, get that.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
6/16/18 1:11 p.m.

I can find cheapish air ones ($70) but getting an electric one jumps to several hundred. At that point my jig saw is looking like a no brainer.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/16/18 1:22 p.m.

Drill tight corners and use a hand-nibbler to connect the dots? Cheap, but less awesome... I have a similar one with a composite body (I think I got it from Eastwood, but they seem to have moved on to an updated version), and it's... significantly better than nothing, but now that I've got pneumatic shears and a body saw, I only turn to it when it's the only thing that'll fit. The newer Eastwood one or the Beta unit pictured below from Pegasus might well be much better tools.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
6/16/18 2:22 p.m.

The pneumatic is $26 at HF. Linky.

jimbbski
jimbbski Dork
6/16/18 4:58 p.m.

I have one like this  as well as one like   Ransom posted.

I like the one below as it can get into very tight places and since the tool is mostly below the work you can see what you're doing.

I'm sure that the tool is available cheaper at other vendors.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/nibblingtool.php?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsMyrr5bZ2wIVkYZpCh3htw-eEAQYAiABEgLKW_D_BwE

Hal
Hal UltraDork
6/16/18 5:40 p.m.
jimbbski said:

I have one like this  as well as one like   Ransom posted.

I like the one below as it can get into very tight places and since the tool is mostly below the work you can see what you're doing.

I'm sure that the tool is available cheaper at other vendors.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/nibblingtool.php?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsMyrr5bZ2wIVkYZpCh3htw-eEAQYAiABEgLKW_D_BwE

i have had one of those for years. Also had an air nibbler.   Air nibbler if you are in a hurry but the hand one is easier to control and more precise.

Rufledt
Rufledt UberDork
6/16/18 7:38 p.m.

I have the HF air one, works pretty good.  It showers steel everywhere, which is fun.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UberDork
6/18/18 8:16 a.m.

I've got an older Northern tools unit air powered and i hate to use it the half moons it fires out carry a long way and get in everything.  Realy sucks when you have work boot that they get embeded with and you forget and walk across the hardwood floor in the house.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
6/18/18 8:36 a.m.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Looking at everything, I think I'm going with one of the hand powered ones. Amazon has the Parts Express ones that look just like all the other hand powered ones.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/18/18 11:51 a.m.
RossD said:

More like this:

cheeky

I thought we had a thread about these before but I couldn't find it. Morning crowd?

I have that exact one.  Works well adn leaves a VERY clean cut.  Use it for gutting the racecar.

I would recommend.  Think I paid like $35.00 on amazon for it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GaP5vxiZ9do1YpXFlMOC0DxN6wqycPvKk8vmU73VOJlE6vyEIMSex5Eov1Sc4Bce