nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/10/15 9:47 p.m.

I've decided to swap the MG uprights from the 4 lug 2nd gen rx7 stuff which has poor rim availability wider than 7" due to 4x114.3, Requires larger than 16" rims due to the upper ball joint location caused by adapting strut to double a-arm. Miata uprights gain me lighter brakes, and result in a lower upper ball joint (with an acceptable change in VSAL and RC movement) enabling me to run 15" wheels of any width. I've tried the TR motorsports C3M's that are on my Miata with the mocked up suspension and a 15x9-10 fits fine. This opens up many many options for good quality wheels. I'd be running the same offsets that people run on NA Miatas.

So enter the delima. For those that don't know the car is a long term tube frame Dmod MG midget with ~180 WHP. The car is brand new. I'm going to run it as a chassis without body for a while (which would be Amod) later this season (I hope). This will allow me to work out the bugs of a new car cobbled together from randomness. I'll then finish the body this winter and run it "competitively" in 2016 with it making a trip to Nationals that year. So the car will not be running in it's actual class until next year sometime. It won't matter what tires are on it until the second half of 2016 from a competitive standpoint. In 2016 it will get either take off or brand new Hoosier Formula Atlantic fronts on all 4 corners on 15x9" wheels. It's what I do until then that I'm not sure of.

I'm not really interested in burning up a set of full slick hoosiers when the car is going to be running in Amod. I'm going to buy the Advanti Storm 15x9's. Just what tires do I put on them. I want to run at a minimum DOT R comp tires.
Options: (in decreasing speed, probably increasing life)

American Racer 23/10/15 full slicks (~$170ea + $20 for local mounting) Hoosier 275/35/15 A7 $290 free mounting Hoosier 245/40/15 A7 $250 free mounting Hanko0k Ventus z214 245/45/15 $170 free mounting (not available right now) Toyo Proxes RR 225/45/15 $185 free mounting Nito NT01 225/45/15 $210 free mounting Toyo R888 225/45/15 $170 free mounting

So lots of options.. The American Racers are interesting. They get mixed reviews as a 2nd tier tire on the D/Emod group. The 275 Hoho is obviously the closes DOT tire to the Slicks available but I'm concerned about the A7's if I will get 80 runs out of my $250+ tires it's not a huge savings over FA fronts. I've not looked at the used FA fronts to see if they are available and what the cost would be yet. Of the 225 width it looks like the Proxes RR is the best value but I'm not sure about that tier of tire to know which is the best.

So yeah.. Which tire do I buy?

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/11/15 2:08 a.m.

Why not Avons? I've never used full slicks, but all the prepared/modified guys around here seemed to like them best.

As I understand it, all the amateur motorsports-level slicks are still bias-ply, and require very different car setup to the radial R-compound tires like Hoosier A6/A7, Toyo RR, etc. If your goal is to try to do chassis/suspension/etc development this year, then I would think you'd be better off using the same overall class of tire that you're going to be using next year in a nationals bid.

Can you get cheap takeoff slicks somewhere?

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
4/11/15 9:20 a.m.

I don't run in Mod class, but I do use the American Racers (26/10-15). I like them a lot. Yes, they're bias ply, which makes them exceedingly forgiving at the limit = fun to drive. Mine were about $120 a pop.

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
4/11/15 9:55 a.m.

If you're going to end up on FA Hoosiers, and don't have access to take-off's, the American Racer tires sound like they'll get you a more similar driving experience without breaking the bank.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/11/15 5:32 p.m.

Where do you get the american racers? Have any issues with durability?

Thanks for the relies sounds like American Racers may be the solution here for the short term.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/11/15 7:16 p.m.

I would want to run somthing with equal stick. That way you can load up the suspension and see what or if anything is going to be a problem. I ran in to this with several race cars. Added better sticker tires and started braking more things.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eCAFO9QuTgbWJ26A2RqyUGb6FSM7lnSzt6taRuIiSYJNuAp4p9Vcf0w4qcqPwDWo