Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
10/15/24 4:04 p.m.

I've come to the realization that if something happened to the 1200 it would be rather difficult to replace as there are so few of them around.

While I obviously can't insure it on track I am starting to think  getting insured for off track would be a wise move.

So out of curiosity how many people insuring their race car?

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/15/24 4:25 p.m.

I have a Hagerty policy on mine, but that's so I can drive it to the events.. I don't know if that counts for your question. 

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/15/24 4:27 p.m.

I have both of mine insured through Hagerty.  They're covered everywhere except on the track itself.  I don't remember the cost per vehicle but both cars and the trailer are less than $1k per your and they're all covered under agreed value policies.

Note that insurance is a highly regulated industry and that those regulations vary from state to state so it's almost impossible to compare policies across state lines.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/15/24 4:28 p.m.

You can insure your car on track. I'm sure glad I did. 

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/15/24 4:44 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

You can insure your car on track. I'm sure glad I did. 

You can insure it for (some) track days.  You generally cannot insure it for a competitive race event or for race testing.

I have an "STP" (storage, transport, paddock) policy on my race car through Lockton.  I called Hagerty, but I store the car in the trailer in the side yard of my house and they would not cover it unless it was stored in the garage.

dr_strangeland
dr_strangeland GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/15/24 4:48 p.m.

I have, um, four race cars on my Geico policy. I'm not sure I would recommend following my example, but it's possible. Stuff that's very old, like pre 1970 doesn't really work with their models very well, and I would use something like Hagerty.

buzzboy
buzzboy UltraDork
10/15/24 4:52 p.m.

My Mercedes is on the same NCFB policy as my Jeeps. I am fully aware that nothing would be covered on track.

RacingComputers
RacingComputers GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/15/24 4:57 p.m.

We have Hagerty Stated Value on the 2005 Mustang and also insure for Track Night iN America through Hagerty.

FWIW

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/15/24 5:03 p.m.

My V8 Miata is licensed and insured for street use. I honestly don't recall what the policy is, it's with my usual company. They know what it is and how it's used. 

theruleslawyer
theruleslawyer Reader
10/15/24 5:12 p.m.

I have hagerty street insurance on mine. Required to drive it to events, but also if it gets stolen, burns to the ground in my garage, etc.

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) Dork
10/15/24 5:14 p.m.

I also have an STP policy on my Radical/trailer through Hagerty. They did require that the trailer be kept in a locked/secure storage area before they would issue the policy. It's pretty cheap. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BxGrtspn3FB1O0YJ7E7XbnFZ9xGigUVDmwc4FtJLunZWBVc2t2vYVpBbcBBraMMp