HappyAndy
HappyAndy UltraDork
3/25/15 11:54 a.m.

I need to go check one out for a relative. It has 180k miles and is approximately challenge priced.

What should I check out in a PPI, aside from the normal old car stuff?

Thanks in advance.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/25/15 1:01 p.m.

99 was right around the time that the Toyota MZ V6 switched over to VVT. If it is not VVT, it's non-interference. A new timing belt isn't a horrible idea, either way.

The front strut bearings are a weak spot...replace them and it will drive much better. Otherwise keep oil in it and it will go forever.

I bought one of these engines, used and abused, 230k miles on it. Thrashed it mercilessly on track, sold the car and the new owner has had that engine in another MR2 and it is still going. GRM's experience with the same engine was different.

It's an 11/10th scale Camry.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/25/15 1:14 p.m.

At challenge price level, if it drives decent and doesn't smoke, shake, or spew fluids its probably fine. Biggest danger will be falling asleep while driving it or losing it in the sea of beige at the supermarket...

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
3/25/15 1:19 p.m.

I think the GRM Camry was a 5SFE, not the V6, wasn't it?

I'm pushing a quarter million miles on my 97 Camry 5SFE. I'm gonna go with "if it drives nice, doesn't make funny noises and the oil looks OK, it's fine."

Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
3/25/15 1:31 p.m.

My FIL has one around that vintage. He's had it for years and it's rock solid. We used it for a weekend when we went to visit. Think Japanese Buick and you're on the right track. Dramamine, lots of Dramamine.

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
3/25/15 3:15 p.m.

It's like driving a couch. A nice, reliable couch.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/25/15 5:01 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: I think the GRM Camry was a 5SFE, not the V6, wasn't it? I'm pushing a quarter million miles on my 97 Camry 5SFE. I'm gonna go with "if it drives nice, doesn't make funny noises and the oil looks OK, it's fine."

The GRM Camry was the V6. I was jealous because I had a 5SFE Camry CE / 5spd with some Eibach springs, KYB GR-2s, and Whiteline F&R sway bars that was a decent amount of fun, but could have used the power that the V6 provided. One of the cars I regret selling, I sold it to a buddy who drove it for several years until someone rear-ended him and destroyed the car.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
3/25/15 5:04 p.m.

I have a 97 with 223k. Leaks a little oil from the valve cover seals. Known issue for the 3.0 V6. Meh. Reliable as gravity. Eats highway miles by the 100.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WEL4nP1Qtvx4NYthO1yzleEo6JdadsqXx0otyeJYl4CtMFsSrJL7gGOMWsPrLDjn